Interior Door Handle Missing Microswitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 07:49 PM
wamcneil
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior Door Handle Missing Microswitch

Hi all,
I've been getting an error from the left door - B8009 having to do with 'Door h.Button, inner sh. Stroke'. And the window not going down when I start to actuate the driver's side intereior door handle.
Upon investigation, I found that the interior microswitch is fine. The problem is that the handle is cocked up at an angle and the little sticky-outy bit on the back of door handle is landing above the switch and missing it. (if anybody knows the proper term for that bit on the door handle, please let me know what it is...)
If I push the handle down and close it, it lands on the microswitch and everything works fine.
I've tried to just bend the handle down, but it doesn't seem to like be manhandled like that. Worried something might break.
Anybody else had this problem? I've found lots of threads with bad switches, but didn't find any where the handle orientation was the problem.
Thanks
Walter

Old 03-21-2024, 11:00 PM
leeked
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The interior door handle mechanism loves to fail when the little block that keeps the spring tensioned snaps off. They're not expensive and pretty simple to replace, I'd start there.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:53 AM
wamcneil
Rennlist Member

Thanks. The spring hasn’t popped though. The handle is being pulled all the way in, but it’s sitting at a slight angle so that the tab isn’t landing on the switch.
After some more googling I think it’s an adjustment problem. Apparently the mechanism can be adjusted from the inside so the handle will line up with the switch.
Im thinking maybe the prev owner had a popped spring, replaced the mechanism and didn’t line it up properly.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:11 AM
wamcneil
Rennlist Member

Lots of threads that talk about replacing the handle, but not a lot of threads that mention handle adjustment. That seems like a pretty important detail that is generally not emphasized!
Here's one: Door Handle Exploded - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Petza914 - We're talking about the silver door handle on the inside of the door that screws onto the post. The reason is that has to mate properly with the door spear when in the closed position for the pin that's molded into the back of the silver handle to go through the little hole and mate with the microswitch that controls the window drop function that happens when you pull and release the handle. The way that part attaches to the backside of the door panel is with 3 screws that reside in little slots. If you don't do this step, you'll put it all back together just to find out you need to take it apart to loosen those screws and adjust the assembly so they handle lays down correctly when it's reinstalled.

I'm guessing that mine was replaced in the past and they didn't figure out that the handle needed to be adjusted. If the interior microswitch isn't depressed, it's not a huge deal. Apparently, the body computer leaves the window down, but after some timeout just ignores the interior microswitch and lowers the window after the latch signals door-open and then raises the window once the latch says the door is closed. So the window doesn't go down immediately when the interior latch is moved, but does go down as the door is opened. This apparently throws the 8009 error but everything else continues to work normally.
As cheap as that latch is, I'll just go ahead and replace it while the door panel is off.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Someone has had your door panel off and didn't refit the handle to set the alignment with the door spear piece that the handle fits into before tightening the 3 screws that allow adjustment for that.

You need to remove the door panel (plenty of step by steps for that). Then loosen the 3 screws for the handle assembly on the back of the door panel and refit the silver inner handle to it's mount. Get it properly aligned so it fits flush on the front side of the door, then remove the handle, reinstall the door panel, and you should be set. There is a molded in plastic pin on the back of that silver handle that has to go through the hole in the door spear to contact the microswitch. This is what causes the window to drop when you open the door from the inside of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
nicetheory (Today), wamcneil (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 11:18 AM
wamcneil
Rennlist Member

Thanks. You must have clicked Save right after I posted your quote!
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Interior Door Handle Missing Microswitch