Sponsored by:

Dash Cam 2024

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 01:49 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
Ah yes! My Panasonic camera allows you to change the aspect ratio and changes resolution accordingly. Forgot about that. Thanks!
If you really want to read more, go to Sony's semiconductor page and read up on their chips. Their newer IMX415 would give you double the resolution at 8 MP or a true 4K UHD video capture. While the IMX415 is classified as a 1/2.8 (we usually round up and say 1/3") type chip, the native aspect ratio is not 4:3, but instead closer to a 16:9 aspect ratio. That's ok because most people that buy HD video cameras care more about video capture, than 35mm 4:3 type photographs. That being said, there seems to be some dash cams with the newer IMX 415 or better on Amazon. For me, I'm sticking with Garmin and true 1080P for the time being. We have to remember, what the industry calls "1080P" is really 2K video capture. At some point, the marketing geniuses decided to use the horizontal resolution instead of the vertical. I guess to closely align with the cinema folks?

https://www.sony-semicon.com/en/prod.../security.html
Cheers!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 03-08-2024 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:59 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

For those that don't have the time to dig in Sony documentation, here's a cheap sheet on their IMX chips that are commonly found in dash cameras.

Old 06-03-2024, 04:13 AM
mikeali
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Any one tried OEM dash cam Or Mangoal dash cam

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried an OEM dash cam? I was recommended the Mangoal Tech dash cam, said to be the world's best OEM dash cam, but I haven't tried it yet. If anyone here has experience with it, please share your thoughts. I'd like to know more about the Mangoal Tech dash cam.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:40 AM
Johnnycakes1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Viofo dash cam in my rover and wife’s bmw. I have another brand 70mai in my 997. These are very easy to hardwire with a jumper fuse wire “add a circuit” and the hardwire kit that matches the cam. I wouldn’t go crazy spending a ton of $$$, just go on Slickdeals and find whatever they say is a front page deal on an Amazon camera.
Old 06-03-2024, 01:10 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeali
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried an OEM dash cam? I was recommended the Mangoal Tech dash cam, said to be the world's best OEM dash cam, but I haven't tried it yet. If anyone here has experience with it, please share your thoughts. I'd like to know more about the Mangoal Tech dash cam.
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. As far as I know, Porsche doesn't make dashcams for its cars. That sounds like a typical Chinese? made dashcam.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam 2024