Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driving with Numeric shifter + cables?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 01:07 PM
clr01
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Daily driving with Numeric shifter + cables?

Hey all - I'm considering installing a Numeric setup in my 997.2 4S (shifter + cables). I'd like to get rid of the sloppy feeling of the stock 997 shifter. I'd also like to swap out at least the cable ends in order to not worry about them snapping.

I've seen comments in various threads here and there about it being "too aggressive" for daily, everyday use, particularly just driving around town. I don't track my car.
I was hoping some folks could chime in on this.
If I did this setup, I'd like add some noise-reduction liner into the console because I want as little added NVH as possible.

An alternate setup I'm considering is:
  • Function First shift right solution (probably black) or just the Numeric shifter
  • + Function First soft (orange) transmission mount
  • + Function First solid shifter ends
  • + [maybe] semi-solid engine mounts
Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by clr01; 02-26-2024 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:14 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 101 Posts

I have said it many times, the Numeric Shifter is my favorite mod. With stock cables, which is my set-up, it would be fine as a daily.
I have heard that the Numeric Cables add quite a bit of NVH.

If you want to avoid as much NVH as possible, I'd stick with the stock cables and install the Numeric shifter first.
It should make a big difference reducing shifter play. If you want to go a step further, I'd add the FF Solid shifter ends.
If your old motor mounts are getting tired (tail pipes are sagging a bit or one is lower than the other), I'd replace them with OEM.
I've heard that the semi-solid engine mounts can create a bit of buzz into the cabin.

I don't have experience with the FF trans mount and the amount of NVH it might introduce, but I'm sure you'll get feedback.

If it were me, I'd definitely implement these changes one at a time and live with each mod for a bit before taking the next step.

Hope this helps, just my two cents,
Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by BillB128:
carguy999 (02-26-2024), waterpanda (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 02:29 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I have Numeric shifter, stock cables, and FF cable ends. Very minimal NVH if any. I think this is the sweet spot. I don’t daily mine, but I drive it often especially on weekend spirited back road drives.

Last edited by Scalp_em; 02-26-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:19 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 99 Posts

I've got Numeric shifter and cables, stock everything else. Originally installed without the hose/sleeves on the cables, and there was a good bit of NVH. Wrapped them in the rubber hose, and super quiet now, and no complaints daily driving.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:33 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

To mitigate NVH w/added performance

- Stock trans mount in good condition is best, the inserts add NVH

- Refresh motor mounts!

- Numeric shifter is excellent

- confirm your 'slop' is not from the plastic shift ****, if so replace

At this point you will have no added NVH

Numeric cables can be installed with minimal NVH.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 196 miles

I have the shifter but stock cables. This is a great mod. I can't imagine anyone not liking this mod. Who is not for more precision and feel? I would never classify this mod as "aggressive". This is nothing like a more aggressive exhaust or harsher ride. It is a simple, no cost mod (cost other than money).

If you are worried, then change out the shifter first, then do the cables at a later date. No biggie. It is a nice improvement but hardly a big one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now atlanta)
Old 02-26-2024, 05:51 PM
clr01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
I have Numeric shifter, stock cables, and FF cable ends. Very minimal NVH if any. I think this is the sweet spot. I don’t daily mine, but I drive it often especially on weekend spirited back road drives.
This is a good suggestion as well, thanks.

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
- confirm your 'slop' is not from the plastic shift ****, if so replace
I recently installed a BFI shift ****. This just accentuated the slop and got me looking into the shifter, etc.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 196 miles

I have the shifter but stock cables. This is a great mod. I can't imagine anyone not liking this mod. Who is not for more precision and feel? I would never classify this mod as "aggressive". This is nothing like a more aggressive exhaust or harsher ride. It is a simple, no cost mod (cost other than money).

If you are worried, then change out the shifter first, then do the cables at a later date. No biggie. It is a nice improvement but hardly a big one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now atlanta)
I'm more worried about the cables than the shifter. That's why I was considering the middle ground of the FF cable ends and keeping stock cables. I have no doubt doing either or both shifter and cables is a great upgrade, mostly wondering about the daily driving aspect, any extra fatigue, etc. I'm not too worried about the noise of the cables since I'm sure adding sound deadening material will help.
The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 05:56 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
That's my setup and it's ideal for me on the lowest setting. What other shifter gives you three different shift positions?
Old 02-26-2024, 05:57 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by clr01
This is a good suggestion as well, thanks.

I recently installed a BFI shift ****. This just accentuated the slop and got me looking into the shifter, etc.

I'm more worried about the cables than the shifter. That's why I was considering the middle ground of the FF cable ends and keeping stock cables. I have no doubt doing either or both shifter and cables is a great upgrade, mostly wondering about the daily driving aspect, any extra fatigue, etc. I'm not too worried about the noise of the cables since I'm sure adding sound deadening material will help.
Get the insulation for the cables, and you'll be just fine.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:04 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the Numeric Cables, which I had installed in order to make sure I never got stranded with a cable breaking, as well as the OEM GT3 shifter. I'm so happy with this set up. I could daily it no problem.

Had a Numeric shifter + Numeric cables set up in my 718 GT4 and it wasn't as good as this.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:12 PM
clr01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwaldi
I have the Numeric Cables, which I had installed in order to make sure I never got stranded with a cable breaking, as well as the OEM GT3 shifter. I'm so happy with this set up. I could daily it no problem.

Had a Numeric shifter + Numeric cables set up in my 718 GT4 and it wasn't as good as this.
Agreed, the a big reason I want to do cables (or cable ends) is to avoid being stranded somewhere.
A big reason I want to do the shifter is to get rid of the plastic pieces, so I'd probably opt for the FF kit over the OEM GT3 shifter just to get more plastic out of there.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:15 PM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I have this cued up for when my car gets out of storage. I did the cables plus the insulation, and a new sport shifters shift ****.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Numeric is like a rifle bolt feel. If you like that precision, notchiness, and what feels like all metal pieces working together, that's the one you want. I actually prefer the smoothness and quieter operation of my OEM SSK. All depends on what you like. If you decide to go numeric, I have a brand new pair of Numeric Cables I pik Ed up at some point I'll sell at a slight discount from new to save you a couple bucks if you want to do the whole Numeric Package.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Ja-Nein-Eleven
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 8 Posts

i have...
  • numeric shifter and cables
  • BFI shift ***
  • FF engine and transmission mounts
all dialed in, broken in, minimal NVH if any, and combined to make a signficant, difference-making, highly-recommended improvement over stock

my 2/5th of a nickel, cheers
Old 02-27-2024, 10:56 AM
clr01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ja-Nein-Eleven
i have...
  • numeric shifter and cables
  • BFI shift ***
  • FF engine and transmission mounts
all dialed in, broken in, minimal NVH if any, and combined to make a signficant, difference-making, highly-recommended improvement over stock

my 2/5th of a nickel, cheers

Do you daily with this set up?

Quick Reply: Daily driving with Numeric shifter + cables?