Sponsored by:

Signs of Shifter Cable Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 03:27 PM
B453D
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Signs of Shifter Cable Failure

I've read many threads discussing manual-trans shifter cable failures, replacements, and upgrades. What I have not found is if there are signs of impending failure. Will the cables show cracks, frays, separations, etc.? If yes, what part of the cable(s) are most prone?
Old 02-14-2024, 07:24 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Typically the cables snap or the plastic pivot pieces that attach to the shifter snap. It’s all damm plastic and will fail as they age. You won’t get a warning. They just go poof. I’d say after 10 years get them changed to new OEM plastic crap or get the numeric cables. All metal and won’t snap. Does add a bit more cabin noise and a bit more effort to shift. But in a good way. Reminded me of the top loader 4 speed in my old Mustang with a mr gasket shifter and metal shift rods. Yea I’m old.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

The Function First metal cable ends are a 3rd option, and although I have a pair of numeric cables in the cabinet, probably what I'll do, just because it's a lot less work and I like the way my car shifts the way it is.
The following users liked this post:
jumppiii (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 10:49 AM
jumppiii
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't notice any symptoms before the cable ends decided to hop off their mount, happened while driving. Inspecting them is probably your best bet.

Here's some pictures I took last year when it happened. You can see there's a lot of play on the original ones, compared to the metal upgrade I installed.

The red circle shows one of my cable ends that barely held on. I could snap it off with little to no effort. The other one had hopped off completely

Another angle

Metal end upgrade

Last edited by jumppiii; 02-15-2024 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-15-2024, 12:17 PM
B453D
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Typically the cables snap or the plastic pivot pieces that attach to the shifter snap. It’s all damm plastic and will fail as they age. You won’t get a warning. They just go poof. I’d say after 10 years get them changed to new OEM plastic crap or get the numeric cables. All metal and won’t snap. Does add a bit more cabin noise and a bit more effort to shift. But in a good way. Reminded me of the top loader 4 speed in my old Mustang with a mr gasket shifter and metal shift rods. Yea I’m old.
Thank you for the information. I am concerned as my (preowned) car has 100K+ on her and no evidence that the cables were replaced.

Originally Posted by Petza914
The Function First metal cable ends are a 3rd option, and although I have a pair of numeric cables in the cabinet, probably what I'll do, just because it's a lot less work and I like the way my car shifts the way it is.
I am one of the few that likes the feel / throw of the factory shifter hardware, both Porsche and BMW. I strongly considered the FF upgrade for the shifter and their cable ends, but I will most probably replace with dealer cables. I may have remorse though... "while I was in there I should have upgraded!" Argh.

Originally Posted by jumppiii
I didn't notice any symptoms before the cable ends decided to hop off their mount, happened while driving. Inspecting them is probably your best bet.

Here's some pictures I took last year when it happened. You can see there's a lot of play on the original ones, compared to the metal upgrade I installed.

The red circle shows one of my cable ends that barely held on. I could snap it off with little to no effort. The other one had hopped off completely
The visuals are very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share.
The following users liked this post:
jumppiii (02-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Signs of Shifter Cable Failure