997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Cracked Cylinder Head / Cracked Cylinder - Looking for Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024 | 09:08 AM
idsteve
AutoX

Sorry to hear this. One might ask why didn’t a warning message appear sooner when the unit failed? A drop in pressure, levels, temperature variance, increase in engine temperature gauge, etc. so one could pull over in time and call for assistance?
The following users liked this post:
Ditka77 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024 | 09:24 AM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
What about throwing a decent used engine (That has 60 day warranty from install) in the car? Save $20K and have a decent engine that will do what you need.
I see them all the time on Ebay for $8500-$12,000.
Here's one on EBay now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25628040369...8AAOSwCiBjasNg
From previous research it seemed that a 2009+ engine would not be an easy task to fit into a 997.1. The ECU and a few other things are different.
Ditka77 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024 | 10:49 AM
Ditka77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by idsteve
Sorry to hear this. One might ask why didn’t a warning message appear sooner when the unit failed? A drop in pressure, levels, temperature variance, increase in engine temperature gauge, etc. so one could pull over in time and call for assistance?

This is the frustrating part for me. In hindsight, I should have had the car towed when I realized there was an issue but took false comfort that there were no warning indicators. Overall, I'm kicking myself for not doing the water pump proactively, I had done a lot to mitigate a catastrophic engine issue - scoped the cylinders and did compression tests when I bought the car in 2020, warmed up the engine before going over 3.5k rpm, changed the oil every 12 months even though my mileage was low, etc...While I knew the WP failed, I had no clue it could be this level of destruction. I wish one of my shops would have mentioned this to me, but as I said in an earlier comment, my mechanic relationships had been lacking...
Old 02-02-2024 | 11:50 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Originally Posted by Ditka77
This is the frustrating part for me. In hindsight, I should have had the car towed when I realized there was an issue but took false comfort that there were no warning indicators. Overall, I'm kicking myself for not doing the water pump proactively, I had done a lot to mitigate a catastrophic engine issue - scoped the cylinders and did compression tests when I bought the car in 2020, warmed up the engine before going over 3.5k rpm, changed the oil every 12 months even though my mileage was low, etc...While I knew the WP failed, I had no clue it could be this level of destruction. I wish one of my shops would have mentioned this to me, but as I said in an earlier comment, my mechanic relationships had been lacking...
Well, it could of course simply be a defective head gasket. Question: how did failure of the water pump manifest itself?
Old 02-02-2024 | 12:10 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Gentlemen,

... No indicator lights came on until I was about 2 miles from the shop. ...
Ditka77
What indicator light came on (2 miles fromthe shop)?
Old 02-02-2024 | 12:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
Well, it could of course simply be a defective head gasket. Question: how did failure of the water pump manifest itself?
these engines crack heads well before the head gasket fails. HG failure is not a thing on these cars.
Old 02-02-2024 | 12:39 PM
carguy999
Pro

Would you see intermix during an oil change? I ask this because my water pump started leaking last summer, and I've had it replaced along with other items. I drove the car a decent amount (maybe 1000 miles) afterwards, and then before storage did an oil change and didn't notice anything wrong. This thread has me paranoid that there could have been other issues that I didn't notice and should have checked in the summer after taking the car out of storage. What would you guys check?
Old 02-02-2024 | 02:15 PM
Ditka77
Intermediate

Just got back from the shop after requesting the codes that came up yesterday morning. Took a picture, here it is:

Sorry for the glare, curious about what this might indicate?
Old 02-02-2024 | 02:29 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gutenfreibier
From previous research it seemed that a 2009+ engine would not be an easy task to fit into a 997.1. The ECU and a few other things are different.
Link was for sample of EBay availability only. Lots of 997.1 engines come up for auction. Also direct contact with Porsche parts suppliers like LA Dismantlers would be a good source for used 997.1 engine.
Most important is the warranty offered and experienced Porsche Indy shop that has fair install rates.

Good luck to OP and hope he finds a cost effective solution that suits his budget!

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-02-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Ditka77 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-03-2024 | 09:33 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 195K miles

To check for a cracked head, check the inside of your exhaust tips and smell the exhaust from each. If one smells sweet, that is coolant being burned... usually the inside of the exhaust tips will be cleaner than the normal side from scrubbing.

I witnessed this diagnostic procedure at a Porsche dealership a long time ago. A 996 came is... don't remember the complaint or symptoms... the shop foreman told the tech to do the above, the tech said "yep" on both... therefore cracked head.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now atlanta)
carguy999 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024 | 09:42 AM
ProductUser
AutoX

If oil and coolant mixed and circulated, you also have to address contamination in all of the coolant lines, radiators and heater core. Trying to clean those items is difficult and labor intensive.
Old 02-03-2024 | 09:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProductUser
If oil and coolant mixed and circulated, you also have to address contamination in all of the coolant lines, radiators and heater core. Trying to clean those items is difficult and labor intensive.
I believe I watched a few YouTube vids where they ran some sort of detergent through a cold engine... used a running engine to do the pumping. Maybe a search there would help. I have no experience with this, just insomnia-fueled YouTube watching.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 02-03-2024 | 10:22 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

So what are you going to spend on the next car?

Wouldn't that be about the same outlay as fixing the engine?

Ifso, I would love a new, better, engine with all the nuisance maintenance items taken care of while the engine is out. Should be smooth sailing for 10's of 1,000's of miles.

Old 02-03-2024 | 12:11 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Gentlemen,

Unfortunately, last week the water pump failed on my 2007 997.1 S with 66k miles. No indicator lights came on until I was about 2 miles from the shop. I did drive it at low speed/RPM/normal TEMP the remaining distance (dumb). Initially, things looked ok and the shop replaced the water pump and also pulleys, belts, and o2 sensors. The shop test drove the car with no issues. Picked the car up and drove home less than 10 miles with no issue. Restarted the car to drive to dinner 30 min later and CEL came on after .2 mile. Took the car back in this morning and after running diametric, the indy informs me there is coolant mixed with the oil - certainly a cracked cylinder head or cracked cylinder. It is at this point I am told to run away from this vehicle ASAP. Selling this car has never crossed my mind but this was the strong recommendation.

Is a full rebuild is the only option to repair?

I'm hoping you all can recommend a course of action to me: Dump the car for whatever I can get at Carmax? Is this good advice? Rebuild the engine for what, $30k? Something else? I bought this car in 2020 and enjoyed every second with it. I had planned on keeping it for the foreseeable future as I love the 997 over all else. It has been a part of the family - my wife cried when she heard the news...

Thank you in advance,
Ditka77
I've seen this happen before. The last time, the heads cracked in the EGR port. That said, these engines do also crack cylinders, but I'd be leaning towards the heads.
Ditka77 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-03-2024 | 12:18 PM
carguy999
Pro

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 195K miles

To check for a cracked head, check the inside of your exhaust tips and smell the exhaust from each. If one smells sweet, that is coolant being burned... usually the inside of the exhaust tips will be cleaner than the normal side from scrubbing.

I witnessed this diagnostic procedure at a Porsche dealership a long time ago. A 996 came is... don't remember the complaint or symptoms... the shop foreman told the tech to do the above, the tech said "yep" on both... therefore cracked head.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now atlanta)
This is pretty fool proof it sounds like. I'm assuming you'd do this after a drive?

Quick Reply: 997.1 Cracked Cylinder Head / Cracked Cylinder - Looking for Recommendations