Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended tools/small toolkit to keep in car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 05:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I don't disagree that having a tire plug kit is handy, and I do have one. But the two times I've used it, both times were at home (on a C7 Corvette and on my 997) with the wheel off the car. Not sure I could have successfully plugged either tire on the car--even reaming the puncture well, it took standing over the tire to be able to push the plug in. So good luck plugging a tire on a 997 or other Porsche on the side of the road, with the wheel on. Some type of roadside assistance plan is your friend for that. With that intro, I carry a first aid kit, some work gloves, the tire plug kit, and a pair of channel locks when road tripping in my 997. The channel locks are if I need them to tighten up the side hooks on the colgan bra I use for highway road trips.
Yea, plugging a tire on the highway is really difficult. I did it lying on my back on I80 heading to traffic court in Clearfield PA (manly yes). It can be done. To do it, you need three sizes of plugs... thick, thin, and super thin. I have a Smitty kit (has way more than you need... get a smaller one). Oh, and I have a long, curved needle nose to lever out the offender. Smitty has thick plugs but really nice reamer and plugger. Get them with "T" handles made of metal not like a screwdriver as you need to really be able to push down. I then purchased some thin plugs from an autoparts strore... and this one for really thin plugs: Dynaplug (just fabulous for thin plugs)
Amazon Amazon

So... my tire plugging inventory I cary in both cars:
- Smitty kit (has thick plugs and metal "T" plugger tools
- Additional thinner plugs from autoparts store
- Dynaplug kit (great for thin plugs)
- Curved, long needle nose pliers for levering out offender https://www.harborfreight.com/11-in-...ers-64087.html
- Bottle of Elmers rubber glue I use for a lubricant when I push in the plugs - Tape the bottle, it will leak
- Porsche-provided air pump - It really works well, is fast, and the gauge is accurate

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-05-2024 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
997DROP (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 06:06 PM
997DROP
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I don't disagree that having a tire plug kit is handy, and I do have one. But the two times I've used it, both times were at home (on a C7 Corvette and on my 997) with the wheel off the car. Not sure I could have successfully plugged either tire on the car--even reaming the puncture well, it took standing over the tire to be able to push the plug in. So good luck plugging a tire on a 997 or other Porsche on the side of the road, with the wheel on. Some type of roadside assistance plan is your friend for that. With that intro, I carry a first aid kit, some work gloves, the tire plug kit, and a pair of channel locks when road tripping in my 997. The channel locks are if I need them to tighten up the side hooks on the colgan bra I use for highway road trips.
I understand that. For me both times I had to do it on the side of the road. One was on Thanksgiving eve, who knows how long I would have waited for a tow. Better safe than sorry worked for me that day. Though I did have to buy a pliers from the gas station as I hadn't bought the multitool yet.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:17 AM
Echo Deuce
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Great ideas! I’m definitely consolidating some of these for my frunk. Any of y’all changed out the frunk light for a LED bulb? Part number?
Old 07-31-2024, 11:07 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 249 Posts

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997STK.html nice spare, but a tad pricy. Be nice to have one on long trips.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:04 PM
Dragon997
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Frunk bulb is #6411 44mm festoon type. Also fits engine compartment and interior dome light. Huge improvement over standard filament bulbs.

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Recommended tools/small toolkit to keep in car?