Sponsored by:

To warm up or just drive and go??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 04:49 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
You should not do this. On the one hand, the enrichment of gas ("choke") is intended to achieve a better cold start and faster warming of the catalytic converter. On the other hand, the injected fuel condenses on the cold cylinder walls and causes fuel to enter the oil, which in turn has a negative effect on its viscosity. Wait a few seconds after starting until the oil pressure has stabilized and start off at low revs and never under-rev. Like you would drive a bike with cold muscles.
You're talking a few secs to 30 secs. This doesn't matter. What you do not want to do is to let the engine warm up to temp just from idling alone.
The following users liked this post:
BRN9121 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 01:48 PM
B453D
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know how long it takes for the engine oil to fully circulate / lubricate the M96 / M97? I would imagine this is the minimum time to idle prior to drive-off.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:09 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

If you think about any engine when it's cold. it starts with no oil pressure, oil drained and it has oval pistons and larger clearances. thick oil etc. So bores are cross hatched to retain some oil, bearings are designed to retain some oil and oil pumps designed to prime and bring up pressure as quickly as possible. Oil is designed to thin less when hot and thicken less when cold but physics is unavoidable

So high revving or generating too much heat with incorrect cold clearances is a bad idea. The more modern the engine the better the design to manage a wider temperature range, the quicker the oil pump primes the better the oils retention in critical places etc. Cold start adds additional fuel that can wash bores and oil in cylinders a bit and the clearances exacerbate this. Best to start and not rev, within a second or so oils pressure will be up and then it's good to treat it with respect until it's all at the right temeperature. High throttle and low revs is worse than light throttle and higher revs. labouring an engine and driving hard is obviously unhelpful until the engine is warm. I tend to drive 2-3k when cold and when the temp climes a bit and warming 2-4k but avoid WOT and 7k until it's up to temperature

Many say this modern engine can be driven hard from cold, what why really mean is this modern engine is more tolerant of abuse but not immune to it. Engine wear with miles and bad treatment unsurprisingly accelerates this

Last edited by Carrera2RS; 01-29-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:08 AM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 90 Posts

This morning, I got in, turned the key to position 1, checked oil level, then started the car.
Waited until RPM came down to below 1k, reversed, and drove her nice and easy keeping RPM below 3k.

It's worked for me my whole driving life. I am not changing it now.

Quick Reply: To warm up or just drive and go??