Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seal / Cap for Front Fender Well?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 01:02 PM
B453D
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Seal / Cap for Front Fender Well?

What a great resource you all have built!

I recently picked up a 2006 C2 manual coupe. Visible in the inner fender well is a hole that has no cap / cover / plug (please see the image for reference). Same on both sides.

Is this normal? If there a part that seals the hole, does anyone have the part number? I am still familiarizing myself with the researching Porsche parts diagrams.

Thank you in advance.

Old 01-19-2024, 01:39 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 616 Likes on 187 Posts

@B453D Congratulations on the new car and welcome! I've just double checked my car, an '06 C4, and I have no such hole and I'm not certain what purpose it would serve. @Petza914 is your best bet for a clear answer as I believe his car is a C2S.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

This is what my front and rear fenders.looks like. Front has one plug and one hole and it looks like I added a grommet to the hole and used it as a PASM wireway.

Front

Rear
Old 01-19-2024, 09:30 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

The parts diagram I have shows a menagerie of lids and grommets but not where they go. Perhaps measure the hole size and try to match the grommet.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 194K miles

Yea, that dang chart doesn't tell you where what goes where. I purchased, using that chart, plugs for my rockers. If you look under your rocker panels, you will see about 3 or 4 plugs per side covered in body paint.

So here are a few items to think about for selection... and don't quote me on any of this... Measure the hole you want to plug and use an accurate caliper. #8 is a grommet... the most likely plugs are #s 3, 4, 6, and 7 and you can't tell from the picture, but they are for sheet metal as they have a dual ring of rubber that seats on each side of the metal. #5 looks like a grommet. #1 and 2 look like, um, sugared candy breath mints... I dunno what the heck they are.

Anywho, I forget which I ordered for the rocker plugs, but they worked and were definitly not what was in there. The ones I ordered from that chart were rubber, and the ones plugged into the rockers are more plastic like. Rubber, I think, makes them more easily knocked out where plastic won't deform as easily. Overall, don't sweat it, just make sure you get the one that is the correct size.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-19-2024 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:05 PM
dave_987
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 987, but also have that same hole (ea/side). I initially bought and installed rubber grommets, but then thought better of it. I think these are overflow drain holes for the battery tray area. I removed the grommets and instead tacked in some screen to try and keep the critters out.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:14 AM
B453D
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurse
@B453D Congratulations on the new car and welcome! I've just double checked my car, an '06 C4, and I have no such hole and I'm not certain what purpose it would serve. @Petza914 is your best bet for a clear answer as I believe his car is a C2S.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate you checking your car's fender wells and referring Petza914.

Originally Posted by Petza914
This is what my front and rear fenders.looks like. Front has one plug and one hole and it looks like I added a grommet to the hole and used it as a PASM wireway.
Front
Rear
Thank you for confirming... the front and rear views are very helpful.

Originally Posted by jchapura
The parts diagram I have shows a menagerie of lids and grommets but not where they go. Perhaps measure the hole size and try to match the grommet.
Stopper, Lid, Grommet—duly noted. Thank you for sharing / pointing me to this information

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 194K miles

Yea, that dang chart doesn't tell you where what goes where. I purchased, using that chart, plugs for my rockers. If you look under your rocker panels, you will see about 3 or 4 plugs per side covered in body paint.

So here are a few items to think about for selection... and don't quote me on any of this... Measure the hole you want to plug and use an accurate caliper. #8 is a grommet... the most likely plugs are #s 3, 4, 6, and 7 and you can't tell from the picture, but they are for sheet metal as they have a dual ring of rubber that seats on each side of the metal. #5 looks like a grommet. #1 and 2 look like, um, sugared candy breath mints... I dunno what the heck they are.

Anywho, I forget which I ordered for the rocker plugs, but they worked and were definitly not what was in there. The ones I ordered from that chart were rubber, and the ones plugged into the rockers are more plastic like. Rubber, I think, makes them more easily knocked out where plastic won't deform as easily. Overall, don't sweat it, just make sure you get the one that is the correct size.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Yes sir, thank you. "#1 and 2 look like, um, sugared candy breath mints"... I lol'd.

Originally Posted by dave_987
I have a 987, but also have that same hole (ea/side). I initially bought and installed rubber grommets, but then thought better of it. I think these are overflow drain holes for the battery tray area. I removed the grommets and instead tacked in some screen to try and keep the critters out.
Thank you and I agree. My car has a lot of miles and anything could have happened in the past 18 years; however, she does not present as though she was in the hands of incompetent or negligent people. After seeing Petza's image and knowing your 987 doesn't have a lid covering the hole, I am inclined to leave as-is. The screen is a great idea, btw.
The following users liked this post:
dave_987 (01-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Seal / Cap for Front Fender Well?