Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Belt Tensioner missing the bolt??!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024 | 06:04 PM
Jive-Bomber
Rennlist Member

Default Drive Belt Tensioner missing the bolt??!!

I've got a early 2009 997.2 S with 43k and decided to replace the drive belt. After pulling off the airbox, I notice that the tensioner pulley long 16mm bolt & spacer is missing? Looked through the access hole in the bumper and I'm definitely looking in the right spot. (blue arrow)
This leaves me with a few questions:
1. Should a put the airbox back on and just leave it be for now? The belt isn't slipping and doesn't look damaged, but I'm guessing its original to the car.
2. Wondering if I should order the missing 16mm bolt and spacer and pray someone didn't snap it off inside that hole. You can see the mark where it was probably there before. (magenta arrow)
3. Or is it not critical to the tensioner, but more of a 'back up'? If I just loosen the big 30mm tensioner bolt (green arrow) and work with that only, am I screwed?

Looks like spacer and bolt were here at some point?

Missing tensioner bolt hole.

This is all I've got to work with.

Thanks fpr any advice before I just give up!
Old 01-14-2024 | 07:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 194K miles

Your car is missing a bolt and long spacer... this has nothing to do with the tensioner. The bolt goes through the brace, through a spacer and into the engine block. This is important or Porsche would not have put it there. The reason that it is missing ... well besides total carelessness... is this bolt and spacer must be removed to change the belt, a common DIY. You can access the missing bolt head through a bumper hole behind the license plate... pop the plate and you can get a ratchet with an extension to tighten/loosen that missing bolt.

I would replace it. Download the Porsche parts Katalog for 2009 model here: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-14-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2024 | 07:48 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

That bolt and spacer has to be removed when replacing the serpentine belt. It apparently was not put back in and it has a sleeve ( can’t remember) to keep the motor carrier at distance from the motor? I would replace it. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-6-yrs-3.html

Bruce, ya beat me to It
Old 01-14-2024 | 08:15 PM
Jive-Bomber
Rennlist Member

Thanks gents!
The good news is that the belt looks really good- Which tells me it was indeed replaced at some point.
Old 01-14-2024 | 09:02 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 194K miles

Your car is missing a bolt and long spacer... this has nothing to do with the tensioner. The bolt goes through the brace, through a spacer and into the engine block. This is important or Porsche would not have put it there. The reason that it is missing ... well besides total carelessness... is this bolt and spacer must be removed to change the belt, a common DIY. You can access the missing bolt head through a bumper hole behind the license plate... pop the plate and you can get a ratchet with an extension to tighten/loosen that missing bolt.

I would replace it. Download the Porsche parts Katalog for 2009 model here: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/

Peace
You are a good person Bruce.
Old 01-14-2024 | 09:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by campbesl
You are a good person Bruce.
Ha! I just have too much time on my hands and the files I use are bookmarked on my desktop. I have been inside that dang Porsche parts catalog so many times it takes a total 10 seconds for me to find just about anything. A noob would go through that thing page by page... as I did.

Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, the original and now Pedro's board, and Rennlist has allowed me to save tons of money. However it has sent me to see a very expensive analyst many times... the voices in my head feed on this stuff.

Peace

Quick Reply: Drive Belt Tensioner missing the bolt??!!