Sponsored by:

Deleted

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 04:27 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
Could he have deleted to destroy the evidence of his knowledge of the problem? That way if he sells it no one could throw this thread in his face.
There are a couple of places where someone is quoting and replying to his posts, but he could easily say that was edited in the reply. Also, no link/VIN so no way to verify it’s the same vehicle or for to even come up on a Google search.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Aubergine 73
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Aubergine 73; 01-14-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:35 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aubergine 73
I deleted because I’m tired of being harassed and insulted and being called a liar. I am not selling this car for a long time and when I do I will tell them to get a bore scope to check the current status.

I am leaving and I’m not coming back. In thirty years on the internet I’ve never encountered such a nasty reception.

I bought a car with a known issue. There are thousands more like it. That’s on me. You can all just stop now.
You came and asked for opinions. You got them. Sorry they didn’t align with what you wanted at heart, but we were giving you the best advice. I really hope it works out for you, never wished bad for you. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Hspore (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 04:37 PM
Aubergine 73
Banned

Deleted

Last edited by Aubergine 73; 01-14-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:38 PM
Aubergine 73
Banned

Deleted

Last edited by Aubergine 73; 01-14-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:41 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

I deleted because I’m tired of being harassed and insulted and being called a liar. I am not selling this car for a long time and when I do I will tell them to get a bore scope to check the current status. It’s not my only car and if it ever has serious downtime I can park it and work on it.
I am leaving this place and I’m not coming back. In thirty years on the internet I’ve never encountered such a nasty reception.
I bought a car with a known issue. There are thousands more like it. That’s on me. You can all just stop now.
Life can be difficult when you make poor choices. You came here asking important advice on a very large purchase. You ignored our advice and now pissed you have been given crap about it??
This is better advice----->Maybe ask RL to refund your membership payment. You can use it toward the engine rebuild.

Hspore (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 04:41 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

I simply don’t believe one cylinder having one section scored is a death sentence and the car should be scrapped. I took the advice with a grain of salt and now it’s my problem not anyone’s here.

I’m going to drive it and enjoy it and if it needs substantial work someday I’ll do it.
Good deal, I’ve always said from the beginning it’s your choice. One scored cylinder will be the death of that engine but you seem to be willing to accept that. I hope you many thousands of smiles per gallon, sincerely. The collective community here was really trying to look out for your best interest. Some come off a little harsher than others, but that’s the truth.
The following 2 users liked this post by TerrestrialFlyte:
groovzilla (01-14-2024), Hspore (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 04:53 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

I simply don’t believe one cylinder having one section scored is a death sentence and the car should be scrapped.
You could very likely be right, and I hope you are. Hope it’s a killer car for many road trips, ice cream runs, or track days for years to come - however you intend to use it!

Guess you found out the hard way that there are many passionate people here who love to share their knowledge. Some are more concerned about potential issues than others. I’m no expert on bore scoring or other known *potential* issues with these cars, though I think the risks are less severe than some would have you believe. I find myself more in the camp of “assumed risk” when it comes to owning older complex machines. These cars are becoming teenagers now and I can’t think of a single enthusiast car ever made that didn’t have some sort of Achilles heel. Ya buys a ticket, and ya takes a ride. Somebody mentioned BMW vanos earlier. Yup. Air cooled cars had different problems with each iteration. It’s just how it is.

Stick around and document your journey with us. Some good folks here, though as with every niche forum on the intergoogles, everyone’s an expert online. Heck, I can outswim Phelps, outsmart Einstein and out drive Häkkinen, as I’m sure everyone else can who posts here.

Last edited by texass4; 01-14-2024 at 04:56 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by texass4:
Aubergine 73 (01-14-2024), digs (01-14-2024), Graufuchs (01-14-2024), Hspore (01-14-2024), Rig.Stunts (01-15-2024), TommyV44 (01-15-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

IMO, Now that I've changed my poopy pants, a way to make this a more productive Thread and to help the buyer, IMO the Porsche Dealer who did the Bore Scope Inspection, provided the videos confirming the extremely bad scoring on cylinder#6, sold the buyer an engine warranty for $3600 (which I assume the Salesperson said any Bore Scoring related issues would be covered), should assume all the liability in this matter so the buyer is protected from any Bore Scoring related engine problems.

Does anyone remember the Porsche Dealership selling the car and providing the warranty??

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-14-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:40 PM
Aubergine 73
Banned

Originally Posted by texass4
Stick around and document your journey with us. Some good folks here, though as with every niche forum on the intergoogles, everyone’s an expert online. Heck, I can outswim Phelps, outsmart Einstein and out drive Häkkinen, as I’m sure everyone else can who posts here.
I would love to do just that. But I have no interest in interacting with people who have called me crazy, stupid, or my car a piece of garbage.

I clearly have different risk tolerance than the tough guys on this forum. I’m going to drive it until it breaks and then I’m going to fix it. Got the recommended oil from LN and will do frequent changes and oil analysis.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:49 PM
texass4
Racer

Originally Posted by groovzilla
IMO, Now that I've changed my poopy pants, a way to make this a more productive Thread and to help the buyer, IMO the Porsche Dealer who did the Bore Scope Inspection, provided the videos confirming the extremely bad scoring on cylinder#6, sold the buyer an engine warranty for $3600 (which I assume the Salesperson said any Bore Scoring related issues would be covered), should assume all the liability in this matter so the buyer is protected from any Bore Scoring related engine problems.

Does anyone remember the Porsche Dealership selling the car and providing the warranty??

Man…let it go. That’s too many assumptions.

You don’t know who did the inspection, nor do you know that they even interpreted it in any way. (Spoiler alert: they probably didn’t.). The salesperson most likely said nothing and had nothing to do with anything remotely related to the warranty. At all. That’s all done in the F&I office. You’d be lucky to find a salesman who knows about bores or how they are scored or what sorts of aftermarket warranty products they offer. Not their monkeys, not their circus.

The warranty is a product that was offered by the F&I rep - just like literally every single car buyer at any franchised dealership is offered. It isn’t likely an “engine” warranty, but an aftermarket car warranty which, as we all know, can vary from excellent to caveat emptor bad. Almost certainly a third-party product, so the dealer has NO DUTY to assume any liability for a condition that MAY arise in the future. The used car monroney almost certainly listed the car sold “as-is, no warranty”. Who knows what was sold and who cares at this point.

Let the guy enjoy the honeymoon period with his car. Chances are it’s going to be fine. If not, as he already stated, he will cross that bridge when he gets there.

Last edited by texass4; 01-14-2024 at 06:53 PM.
TommyV44 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:07 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts

I would love to do just that. But I have no interest in interacting with people who have called me crazy, stupid, or my car a piece of garbage.

I clearly have different risk tolerance than the tough guys on this forum. I’m going to drive it until it breaks and then I’m going to fix it. Got the recommended oil from LN and will do frequent changes and oil analysis.
Very sorry things happened this way. Maybe give yourself some time off RL and then come back. Most of us do not consider ourselves the smartest guy in the room and really enjoy being able to help others. I, like probably everyone in this forum, have had some people get a little unpleasant at one point or another. Try to shake it off and ultimately continue to read and learn. I tend to avoid advice from folks who are too adamant about it.

Best of luck with your car. Please don't let this little chapter spoil it for you.
The following 4 users liked this post by steveP911:
Aubergine 73 (01-14-2024), Hspore (01-14-2024), TerrestrialFlyte (01-14-2024), TommyV44 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:12 PM
texass4
Racer

Love that! You’re not crazy or stupid. Crazy or stupid is not experiencing life, taking risks. Sounds like you have a good handle on things. You did the diligence, weighed the risks, are willing to take the preventative steps - and most importantly - ya get to have the 997 experience in your life. We’re not here that long. No one ever regretted having too much fun in their lives.
The following 4 users liked this post by texass4:
Aubergine 73 (01-14-2024), Graufuchs (01-14-2024), Hspore (01-14-2024), TommyV44 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Aubergine I attempted to apologize and show some understanding for coming off strong in the PM I sent you yesterday morning which you didn't respond to:
PM sent:
"I understand I gave you some crap regarding you buying the 997. I undertand the fun/joy/excitement buying a new Porsche - I have done it over 50x in past 38 years.

However seriously consider selling it sooner than later with plenty of time left on warranty for next owner.
That scoring on #6 is bad and only gonna get worse.
Take care, be safe and have fun driving!
All the best"

I do apologize. I just couldn't believe you bought the car after all the communication back and forth about scoring and the bad results of cyl#6
My fault and I take full responsibilty - I just didn't want you to make the same mistake I did 37 years ago when I got amped up and disregarded warning signs when purchasing my first Porsche's.

Your purchase story had many twists and turns and not sure what to believe at this point.
You said the Porsche Dealer was going to do the Bore Scope Inspection and you posted results which showed bad scoring in Cyl#6. and dealer offered you warranty for $3600 which you purchased.
If your story is true, make sure you have written guarantee that the warranty covers engine damage due to Bore Scoring.
Good luck

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-14-2024 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:49 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 163 Posts

I’m interested to hear what happens when it’s time to use the warranty. I hope the OP has the last laugh and gets covered.

Quick Reply: Deleted