Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my 997.2...should I wait till Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 04:44 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 422 Posts

That’s a unique color combo, I would list it now.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:00 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
Also somewhat true, but as I’ve said many times before here on similar topics, that’s flawed logic that assumes your potential market is made up primarily of…you…us…people who know all of the esoterica about these cars and dig through the forums to enhance our ownership experience.
for every one of “us” looking, there are 10s or maybe 100s that don’t dig that deep. That also means they likely don't know (or care) about any potential discount for PDK cars over manuals. Out off all of the private sale cars I’ve owned (Porsche, bmw M, AMG) the overwhelming minority were deeply knowledgeable about the car aside from magazine stats. They just wanted the thing, and they wanted it now.
also as I’ve said before, I do live in a bit of a car enthusiast desert so maybe that has something to do with it but there’s an old saying in the car biz - “there’s a butt for every seat”.
Good points.

Old 12-30-2023, 05:09 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

I'd take the time to look and assess prices, valet the car and lose the tinted windows. Then take some really good pictures, build a file of all of the history and advertise early March after getting a few offers from trader as a benchmark. You'll also get to appreciate the need to sell as well. I remember a friend panicking with a second child even though we all know they are tiny for at least 2 years and plenty of car baby seats around and with other vehicles around you wont use it for that purpose more than once anyway.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:11 PM
sohelhss
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
I'd take the time to look and assess prices, valet the car and lose the tinted windows. Then take some really good pictures, build a file of all of the history and advertise early March after getting a few offers from trader as a benchmark. You'll also get to appreciate the need to sell as well. I remember a friend panicking with a second child even though we all know they are tiny for at least 2 years and plenty of car baby seats around and with other vehicles around you wont use it for that purpose more than once anyway.
Thx for the advice. You really think I should get rid of the tints? Here in the summer time and same really all up and down the coast it's like a necessity to have tints. I feel like I should leave that up to the buyer to decide that, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:34 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

I might be wrong with the tints where you live, not sure but in the UK they would definitely be worth removing, I guess it depends who the buyer is in the US ?
Old 12-30-2023, 07:59 PM
sohelhss
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the advice. Really super helpful. I think what I'll do, given that I have a bit of a time constraint, I have a small ding on the car that I am getting fixed this week, will get it detailed and then will list it on RL Marketplace. If I don't get any bites I might try carsandbids in March, and if nothing good by then I'll just consign it. I've already had a few ppl reach out so I think could probably get something done. I feel like if I consign it I will just leave money on the table for no reason and don't want a bunch of douchebags test driving the car for fun and destroying my engine+pdk. So I will try to avoid for now. I'll let ya'll know when the listing is up. Will prob list it for $53,900ish, which according to cargurus should be one if not the best deals in the country. Thanks!

Last edited by sohelhss; 12-30-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:54 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 101 Posts

Seems like a good plan to me. You seem informed and went through the purchase process not long ago, so you should have a good handle on the market.
I really think that the GT Silver plus the Coco leather are a unique combo that should bring a premium.
Good luck with the sale.
Bill
Old 12-31-2023, 01:29 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, congrats on the newborn! I'm also on the market for a 997 and can't send you private messages because of the new account. Would you mind sending me a message so we can talk more? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:25 AM
shahcg
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sohelhss
Thanks everyone for the advice. Really super helpful. I think what I'll do, given that I have a bit of a time constraint, I have a small ding on the car that I am getting fixed this week, will get it detailed and then will list it on RL Marketplace. If I don't get any bites I might try carsandbids in March, and if nothing good by then I'll just consign it. I've already had a few ppl reach out so I think could probably get something done. I feel like if I consign it I will just leave money on the table for no reason and don't want a bunch of douchebags test driving the car for fun and destroying my engine+pdk. So I will try to avoid for now. I'll let ya'll know when the listing is up. Will prob list it for $53,900ish, which according to cargurus should be one if not the best deals in the country. Thanks!
FWIW, try FB marketplace and cars.com/autotrader/etc. I spoke with a few sellers this way and it's a wider audience especially of people looking to get into a PCar for the first time who may not be on rennlist. You don't necessarily need to allow a bunch of test drives and can certainly go along for the ride.
Similarly, some consolidators will limit the test driving, but obviously depends on the individual salesperson and how well they can judge a real buyer from a tire kicker looking for a Sunday thrill.
For C&B or BaT, if you submit in the spring check for when they'll schedule your listing to go live to ensure you don't get saddled with Memorial Day or some other broad holiday period that reduces the buyer pool. Great for buyers - I picked up my R32 at a fair discount to market value - but stunk for the seller. Using those sites I also think you end up leaving money on the table since buyers (or at least me) discount the bid price by the auction fees and transport costs.

Not sure on the mileage and prior history, but $53.9K would likely be a fantastic price for the car if it's sorted mechanically and under 50K miles (some dropoff above 50K I've seen). I suspect you can go higher.
Classic.com will give you sales prices and trends. Average is about $58-60K, but you can look through the listing history to find the hammer price on similar vehicles to yours.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:00 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

I'll ask the key question. Do you really need the money? I ask because once you sell, I suspect that's all she wrote, you're unlikely to get another one. Kids just get more expensive, you'll eventually get two regular cars, wife will groan when you broach it again in 5 years and you're older, fatter and less likely to be bothered.

Now, if making ends meet is tight, thats another story.
The following users liked this post:
fiddlesticks (01-07-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 11:41 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I've been driving a 911 as a daily for 24 years. 1999-2010 with a 964 C4 cab, and 2010-current with the 06 C2S coupe. Had 3 little kids in the car at times, as they were born between 2002-07. I even had one or two guys come up to me and take pictures to show their spouse that it's possible to have kids in a 911!
Now they're 16+ and all driving - two with manuals. I can't count how many times a guy walks up to me at a gas station and tells me he sold his 911 when he had kids and always meant to buy another one but never did.
One other funny note - just as we were getting ready to have kids, we wanted to buy our first house. I sold a nearly new paid-for SUV to help with the house down-payment, really needed that cash - but I kept the 911.
As stated by the poster above, if you need to sell it - go ahead and do what you need to do. If not, maybe you can/should keep it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jack667:
8x57IRS (01-05-2024), fiddlesticks (01-07-2024), Hspore (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:42 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

It’s a 911, don’t sell it. Such a cool car.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:45 PM
Snake9
8th Gear

Any pics of the interior? I may be interested
Old 01-13-2024, 07:57 PM
sohelhss
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 9527
Hey, congrats on the newborn! I'm also on the market for a 997 and can't send you private messages because of the new account. Would you mind sending me a message so we can talk more? Thanks.
sorry was out of commission for a bit recovering from sinus surgery. Shooting you a message now
Old 01-13-2024, 08:38 PM
sohelhss
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snake9
Any pics of the interior? I may be interested
Sorry for the delay. I was recovering from surgery (don't ever get sinus surgery or a septoplasty) and the weather has been awful last few days so haven't been able to get it detailed. Will get it done next week and post online. See attached pics. I had to take it in my garage as its 14 degrees outside so lighting isn't great.

The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (01-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my 997.2...should I wait till Spring?