Sponsored by:

Pcm3.0 frozen

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 05:07 PM
WatchC
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcm3.0 frozen

Guys I have a 997.2 with PCM3.0 . The unit works when I first get in the car after it’s been parked overnight but then freezes after around 5 mins . It still plays sound tuned into a radio station . The display is fine but I am unable to make any selections work or turn it off . The volume will not adjust , I am unable to select Nav or map or answer a call . Since the last couple days the Bluetooth isn’t working either . Anyone have any experience if this ? Im thinking it’s not the amp as the sounds works . Sometimes after a longer journey the unit will suddenly start working again but I havnt tested this a lot as I don’t do many long journeys ! Maybe it’s an over heating issue 🤷🏼‍♀️

as an addition a few years ago driving in torrential rain the sound went very muffled and took a while to correct itself . Wondering if that could have been the start of a problem .
hope one if you guys might have an answer or can point me in the right direction . Thanks
Old 11-26-2023, 05:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchC
Guys I have a 997.2 with PCM3.0 . The unit works when I first get in the car after it’s been parked overnight but then freezes after around 5 mins . It still plays sound tuned into a radio station . The display is fine but I am unable to make any selections work or turn it off . The volume will not adjust , I am unable to select Nav or map or answer a call . Since the last couple days the Bluetooth isn’t working either . Anyone have any experience if this ? Im thinking it’s not the amp as the sounds works . Sometimes after a longer journey the unit will suddenly start working again but I havnt tested this a lot as I don’t do many long journeys ! Maybe it’s an over heating issue 🤷🏼‍♀️
as an addition a few years ago driving in torrential rain the sound went very muffled and took a while to correct itself . Wondering if that could have been the start of a problem .
hope one if you guys might have an answer or can point me in the right direction . Thanks
Do you park car in garage or outside? Make sure the drains located under hood up near the base of windshield are cleaned out. Water can penetrate into car if they are clogged.
Also check and make sure the hood seal is in good condition and not allowing water to get in under hood area.
Read recently about water getting down into dash area from water penetrating from under hood.

Last edited by groovzilla; 11-26-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:36 AM
WatchC
7th Gear

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Do you park car in garage or outside? Make sure the drains located under hood up near the base of windshield are cleaned out. Water can penetrate into car if they are clogged.
Also check and make sure the hood seal is in good condition and not allowing water to get in under hood area.
Read recently about water getting down into dash area from water penetrating from under hood.
thanks but it’s not a cab!
Old 11-27-2023, 04:46 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

I believe Groove is talking about the drains in the battery compartment. Doesn't matter if it's a cab or not. These drains can be found on either side of the battery. They are upside down rubber cones that are pinched and slit at the narrow end. This design stops bugs from crawling up into the compartment but also allows them to plug up. SOP is to pull them out and cut a bit off the off of the coned end before putting them back in.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
WatchC
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I believe Groove is talking about the drains in the battery compartment. Doesn't matter if it's a cab or not. These drains can be found on either side of the battery. They are upside down rubber cones that are pinched and slit at the narrow end. This design stops bugs from crawling up into the compartment but also allows them to plug up. SOP is to pull them out and cut a bit off the off of the coned end before putting them back in.
thanks but he was talking about the hood leaking .
Old 11-27-2023, 10:28 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

thanks but he was talking about the hood leaking .
Porsche 101----> Front Hood is located on both Cabriolet and Coupe.If you have trouble figuring out my post, investigating leaking seals/water getting into front hood compartment might be too much of a challenge for you so suggest taking car to shop.

Last edited by groovzilla; 11-27-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:15 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 193K miles

Water, check as Wayne and Groov said, the battery compartment. Then raise your passenger seat all the way and put it all the way back... then stick your head and hands in there and feel for water. That is the amp/digital processor under there. Next try resetting the unit.. with the unit on, press and hold INFO.... keep holding it until it resets. If none of this works, try pulling the fuse for a day or two... dig around, there is data on this on Rennlist.

Is there any mods in place? If so, remove them completely. Odd wires hanging around that you can;t explain from a previous owner? You may have to remove the unit and look back there... ensure all the cables are properly seated and any foreign little boxes removed.

So let's do some diagnostics:

1 - play the radio....with the unit on... shut the car off... then power up and run your errands... don't change the selector for another source. Will the unit go wonky with just the radio? We are testing just the PCM unit here.... The maps system is an add on.... trying to isolate what unit or function may be the issue.
2 - If the unit won;t fail with just the radio, do the above for each of the systems... CD, XM... etc.

Report back

You may just have a failing system. If so, you have a few choices that I am aware of... Becker in NJ will repair whatever it is that failed... talk to them, they may want both the amp and the head unit... got to talk to them. Or, buy a used PCM unit on eBay... After installing the new/used unit, you will have to get it coded to the car at a dealership.... the PCM system has functions and options integrated with the car from the factory.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-27-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:50 AM
WatchC
7th Gear

Porsche 101----> Front Hood is located on both Cabriolet and Coupe.If you have trouble figuring out my post, investigating leaking seals/water getting into front hood compartment might be too much of a challenge for you so suggest taking car to shop.

Thanks for your sarcasm ,having previously owned a boxster that had a ‘hood’ and suffered from blocked drains I presumed that’s what you meant and as I’m from the UK that’s England btw in case your going to argue that one as well we call a convertible roof a hood and the front a bonnet . So you see it’s easily un tangled without any sarcasm when someone is just politely asking for some
help 👍
Old 11-27-2023, 12:07 PM
WatchC
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 193K miles

Water, check as Wayne and Groov said, the battery compartment. Then raise your passenger seat all the way and put it all the way back... then stick your head and hands in there and feel for water. That is the amp/digital processor under there. Next try resetting the unit.. with the unit on, press and hold INFO.... keep holding it until it resets. If none of this works, try pulling the fuse for a day or two... dig around, there is data on this on Rennlist.

Is there any mods in place? If so, remove them completely. Odd wires hanging around that you can;t explain from a previous owner? You may have to remove the unit and look back there... ensure all the cables are properly seated and any foreign little boxes removed.

So let's do some diagnostics:

1 - play the radio....with the unit on... shut the car off... then power up and run your errands... don't change the selector for another source. Will the unit go wonky with just the radio? We are testing just the PCM unit here.... The maps system is an add on.... trying to isolate what unit or function may be the issue.
2 - If the unit won;t fail with just the radio, do the above for each of the systems... CD, XM... etc.

Report back

You may just have a failing system. If so, you have a few choices that I am aware of... Becker in NJ will repair whatever it is that failed... talk to them, they may want both the amp and the head unit... got to talk to them. Or, buy a used PCM unit on eBay... After installing the new/used unit, you will have to get it coded to the car at a dealership.... the PCM system has functions and options integrated with the car from the factory.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Thanks Bruce , no damp around amp under seat , no mods and the unit I can reset when
cold ie I’ve just turned ignition on after a good length of time not used usually over night . Seems to me something is over heating too early . I’ll try the other test and see what happens . There’s a company that repair these but it can be excess of £1k and I can buy a CarPlay for this amount although I don’t want to loose the originality .
Old 11-27-2023, 12:17 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

Frunk it is ..... at least that's the same and sounds equally silly in all languages and regions
Old 11-27-2023, 12:50 PM
WatchC
7th Gear

Originally Posted by workhurts
Frunk it is ..... at least that's the same and sounds equally silly in all languages and regions
Yep works for me
Old 11-27-2023, 01:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your sarcasm ,having previously owned a boxster that had a ‘hood’ and suffered from blocked drains I presumed that’s what you meant and as I’m from the UK that’s England btw in case your going to argue that one as well we call a convertible roof a hood and the front a bonnet . So you see it’s easily un tangled without any sarcasm when someone is just politely asking for some
help 👍
FYI---> In USA, a bonnet is a woman's or child's hat tied under the chin and with a brim framing the face.
Now I'm really confused.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:45 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

FYI---> In USA, a bonnet is a woman's or child's hat tied under the chin and with a brim framing the face.
Now I'm really confused.
Let’s not get into the ‘Trunk’ vs. ‘Boot’ issue!

In North America you can put your boots in the trunk but in the UK you’ll be putting your wellies in the boot.

Hope that clears up any confusion…..
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (11-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Pcm3.0 frozen