Sponsored by:

Back in a Porsche. 991 to 997 journey

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 11:31 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Back in a Porsche. 991 to 997 journey

In late 2018 I bought a 991.1 C2 in PDK. I drove it for about 3.5 years before selling it in July 2022 during a hot market. I’m writing this while eating a late dinner so I want to keep it short, but while the car was reliable and very comfortable, it was not very exciting to drive.

My main complaint was the tall gearing. When exiting a corner or making a right hand turn, second gear was too low in the RPM range to exit with any gusto, so I’d have to downshift into first. This was not only quite unnatural feeling, but left me with only a thousand or two RPMs before needing to shift.

The car is an amazing road trip vehicle. You don’t get much tire noise, stiffness, or anything of the sort.

BUT… while I day dreamed of going for a ride throughout the day, when I actually did, I had fun for the first ten minutes before I felt like parking and doing something else.

I planned to buy a 997.2 straight away after selling, but an investment that came across my desk tied up that capital.

Fast forward a year and some change later, I found (by happenstance) a 2009 C2 for sale. I was not open to PDK (had it for 3.5 years) and though I initially wanted an S, I didn’t want to miss out while waiting as any manual 997.2 is fairly limited IMO.

I don’t know what I’m missing in the C2 vs C2S, and maybe you guys can enlighten me.

What I do know is, after that first 10 minutes- I just want to keep driving. I don’t want to get out. I’ve burned hours of time on a random Tuesday because I took the long way after a meeting or appointment.

Vitals:
2009 911 C2
101,000 miles
6 speed manual

Almost ZERO options. I think I have self dimming mirrors and mats in interior color.

I think I’ve found my happy place. I plan to make a few more changes, but here’s what I’ve done so far:
  • Transmission fluid drain and fill with Mobilube
  • Brake/clutch fluid flush with Pentosin
  • New OEM rear pads and rotors
  • Engine oil change with Mobil1
  • Removed window tint
  • Gundo mod
  • Pioneer CarPlay unit in place of PCM
  • Zunsport grill screens

Future plans:
  • Sharkwerks crossover center muffler
  • Feal 1441+ Coilovers with swift springs (spoke to the guys at Feal and they are trying to build more of an Ohlins alternative. Want to give them a shot)
  • Alcantara steering wheel (GT3RS wheel from 997.2)
  • AeroKit
  • Potentially OZ Ultraleggera wheels

Depending on how the sharkwerks / gundo combo sounds, I may upgrade to FVD side mufflers.

Interested to hear thoughts on S vs Base 997.2.

991 I owned for 3.5 years.

New to me 997.2 C2 6MT

After tint removal

Before tint removal

Last edited by PatrickBateman; 11-24-2023 at 02:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatrickBateman:
Kodos9865 (11-24-2023), misterdega (11-23-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 12:51 AM
Honda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the .2 conversion. How'd you fit that rear bumper on a non-wide body car?
Old 11-24-2023, 01:13 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda
Love the .2 conversion. How'd you fit that rear bumper on a non-wide body car?
It bolted right up. The GT3 was only 2” or so wider, so it fit well once gently massaged. Nothing custom was done outside of some slight modifications to the heat shield bumper retainers IIRC.

Here’s a better photo the day I sold it and transport picked it up (and a few bonus shots). As far as I know, it’s in the Dallas FW area.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
Old 11-24-2023, 09:35 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 315 Posts

Congrats.

I've gone through 4 997.2s and often tell folks a base carrera is as much car as anyone needs for a sizable discount off the topper models.

If by some chance you'd want a set of crispy red tail lights for your clear ones - LMK
Old 11-24-2023, 10:54 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,382 Likes on 509 Posts

Congrats and welcome back. Love the GT3 Aero bits on the 991.

Same experience in my 991.2, great car but there was a level of disengagement I had not planned for. Great GT car and if I was still commuting I would have kept the 991.2 and used it to commute to work in.

The 997 is such a great platform and offers enough refinement, power, feedback to keep you connected to the driving experience. Its a car for people who truly enjoy driving.

Quick Reply: Back in a Porsche. 991 to 997 journey