Porsche 997.1 Bose Amplifier Heavy Persistent Crackling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 12:51 PM
ZaneV
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche 997.1 Bose Amplifier Heavy Persistent Crackling Noise

So my problem is as follows,

The moment I unlock my car a loud ear-piercing static noise starts playing from the speakers (Engine is off, Pccm is off). Then upon start up it stops for a second and starts again, this harsh noise will persist for about 10 minutes after which it will subside but still leave me unable to play anything through the pccm (Turning the volume up and down on pccm does not make a difference, switching the pccm on and off does to make a difference). The only way I've found to alleviate the issue is after starting the engine and turning it off again locking the car, waiting for the noise to subside, and then unlocking the car and starting the engine this solves the static from the speakers. This also allows me to use the pccm to play music otherwise the pccm works as normal but nothing will play from it during the static and after the static ends. I have a mechanic who claims it is the Bose amp that is the issue and I'll need to purchase a new one.

So if anyone has any thoughts on my situation or if anyone is facing a similar issue and happens to have a solution please do let me know it would be much appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
justinhalpitts (06-03-2024)
Old 10-31-2023, 08:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I think it may be your PCCM itself. That noise upon unlocking is usually from the subwoofer which is fed separately from the Bose Amp. The sub gets traditional signals whereas the Bose Amp receives the signal from a fiber optic connection.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:23 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,737 Posts

I had the poltergeist sounds during sub freezing temps at first, then when warmer, then intermittent sound, off most of the time.

Recapped the amp - no joy.

Installed an aftermarket head unit - no joy.

Sent the amp off to Becker - worked well ever since. Much less expensive than new or used amp.

Becker AutoSound 101 US Highway 46W Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
Tel: 201-773-0976 email: service@beckerautosound.com

Last edited by BHMav8r; 10-31-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:24 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 130 Posts

In the event you do end up deciding it may be the amp, Tore at Bergvill F/X rebuilds these amps for far cheaper than buying a new one would cost and provides a warranty to boot. You could send your amp to him and he could test it and perform any necessary fixes.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:37 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,737 Posts

Symptoms I sent to Becker - dont think mine was related to door locking, etc.

Began not working (intermittently, several years ago) when it was very
cold ~20 degrees. Shrill static when turned on. This progressed to
intermittently not working at warmer temperatures, no static though.
Then it only intermittently worked at say 90 degrees plus maybe 10% of
the time. Sometimes would work after driving a while and restart.
I replaced the capacitors. Didn't fix. I have a new Alpine head unit that
works fine, Still intermittent no sound though. The system works fine 10% of the time, else no sound
whatsoever.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:39 AM
justinhalpitts
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Experiencing the same. Some distinctions on my situation --
1.) This only happens about 1/2 the time. Half the time, I start the car, no shrieking static, and PCCM audio works perfectly.
2.) When I DO get the shriek/static, there's no audio from phone to PCCM, but there is data transmission -- I can use CarPlay and even control audio (without hearing it).
3.) No relationship with temperature -- happens in hot or cold.
4.) Can't find a correlation with Bluetooth being on/off, phone WiFi on/off, or USB being plugged in when I start car.
I took my 997 to Porsche service. They claimed that there was no error message with the PCCM, so I might be getting interference from the USB cord I'm using and should try a higher quality USB cord. I just picked it up, and I had the same old problem at start-up with a quality USB.

In this thread, I see:
-- rebuild/replace Bose amp
-- repair subwoofer
-- connection issue between PCCM and amp or subwoofer.

Any developments? New advice?

Quick Reply: Porsche 997.1 Bose Amplifier Heavy Persistent Crackling Noise