Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking Car Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 10:34 PM
Dragon997
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Have those exact wheel hangers and they’re very solid.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:31 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
I'm going to pick this up with the roller assembly because....why not? I'm not sure if everyone does this but when I do my winter/summer swap, after I've broken the lugs free on the ground and the wheel is in the air, I take two lugs out and drive hanging pins in. Then the other three lugs come off. I find I can get the wheel off with more control and less of a chance of hitting the brake assembly with the two guide pins in during removal. I can just leave them there for the mount. The other thing I tend to do is jack the car a little higher so I can sit on my rump, put the wheel on my feet and use my feet as levers to get the wheel on the pins. When I sit, my eyes are on level with the pins and I can see them much easier than if I was on my knees.

With this thing, I won't have to lift the car as high and my feet are out of the equation.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Forgot about this thing I also have. Kind of pricey for what it is, but if you've ever tried to get a 22x12 wheel with 315 tire onto the guide pins or lug studs of a car you'll appreciate it. Sure beats rwsti g it on your feet to lift it up and try and get it positioned.

Gives you a lever and roller to lift and roll the wheel/tire into position.

TRAC Tire Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNGTQNJB...p_mob_ap_share

I have to say this thing is more trouble than it's worth. I didn't mind using it to demount the wheel but never did get the technique down to mount to the wheel. Since you're sacrificing a hand to manipulate the jack, you've got to position the wheel using your other hand which ain't easy. I guess you could step on the jack to get both hands on the wheel. I just did the winter swap over and after about 5 minutes of fumbling around trying to position the jack and mount the wheel, I gave up on the jack.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:54 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Your description of the original protocol that you used including a pair of thread-in pins after removing a pair of the lug bolts and without any tire-roller tool is exactly what I do. I'm nearly 77 years old and weigh 159 lbs, so you can guess that I'm not that strong anymore. Nevertheless, I find it quite easy to swap the wheel and tire assemblies on my 2017 C2S using the "sit in front of the tire and wheel assembly" technique" with a pair of locator pins. The key is being able to eyeball the movement of the replacement tire and wheel assembly as you attempt to mount it. The pair of guide pins greatly assists in that for me.
The following users liked this post:
lexhair (11-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Jacking Car Question