997.2 Light Error Message but working fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 06:03 AM
xpeedy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 997.2 Light Error Message but working fine

Hi all,
I am trying to troubleshoot my cousin's 2009 997.2 Convertible.

He neglected proper service for many years and parked under trees quite often.
Water drains got clogged and ECUs got fried.

I dried, cleaned and replaced all affected parts. Cleared error codes.

When starting the car, it now reports all taillights/indicators not working. But they are working!

I have no experience with this, but I'm assuming the new ECU is not programmed for LEDs?

If this is the case? What is the easiest/cheapest fix? Would I just add resistors to the line? Or can the ECU somehow be programmed to know that LEDs are installed?

Thanks in advance for any help and or advice!
Old 10-10-2023, 01:33 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

The rear light lenses separate between clear and red when left out in the sun. Then water intrudes. And the vent is at the top of the light rather than the bottom. So the assembly fills with water. Then you have intermittent problems.

Remove the taillight (loosen two screws on the side, pull it back, unlatch the plug with a common screwdriver). Then, on the bench, remove the torx screws to remove the cover. Drain the water and exercise all the plugs on the PCBs.

I drilled a few holes on the bottom of the cover so if water gets in again it won't collect.

Good luck. I got mine working a few times but finally had to pony up and pay for a new assembly (found one on ebay out of Latvia for less than half price).

Quick Reply: 997.2 Light Error Message but working fine