Sponsored by:

Sunroof leak not from clogged drains

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 08:37 PM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sunroof leak not from clogged drains

I noticed a wet spot on my headliner again and had to investigate. I don’t have the exact instructions on how to drop the headliner but all I did was remove the coat hanger clip and take off one screw and I was able to drop to see Pilar enough to be able to unclip the headliner and get in there.

I had an issue in this area before, and it was a leak coming from where the tube connects to the sunroof drain.

This time when I went in there to check, the leak was actually coming from where the plastic connector that has the sunroof drain connects to the sunroof body.

I found a really helpful post on this link that showed me more or less how this connector comes out of the sunroof.

https://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1549469

Unlike the 996 in the post, the 997 clip does not have a clip portion at the top and while I was trying to get it out I ended up breaking the small clip on the bottom because I was wiggling it while trying to force the clip at the top to come out.

The “drain connector“ is held in place with what appears to be some RTV silicone and it was pretty snug in there even with the broken clip. Once I pried out the connector I scraped out as much RTV as I could from the sunroof itself and took it out of the channel in the plastic drain connector.

I applied a healthy dose of some black RTV silicone I had left over from a headlight project and hope it’s strong enough to keep everything in place with the missing clip.

Now I’m waiting g to see what happens with the next big rain. I imagine that I’ll have to do the same on the passenger side at some point as well.

Last edited by Edcantera; 10-09-2023 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Sunroof leak not from clogged drains