Sponsored by:

Non-Bose budget speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 04:24 PM
Wcube
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nate5150
WCube - I have a 2007 Base Cayman that had the SPP non Bose. I have put in a new sony headunit (avr x6000)

If I bought Alpine S2-S80c and put the 8" in for the bass drivers and the included 1" tweeter in place, as direct replacements.. is the ASK amp going to crap itself or will that sound bad doing it that way? all speakers in the car are still stock at this time but the 8" are both blown so i need to replace.
Based on my car, the ASK amp should be fine. It only powers the door woofers and the center dash speaker. The tweeters are wired in parallel to the 4" door mid range speakers. You would only have an issue if you replaced the 4" speakers with coaxials while running the dash tweeters - in this scenario, your head unit amplifier would be seeing a 2 ohm load for the tweeter frequencies. Does that make sense?
Old 12-29-2023, 04:36 PM
nate5150
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

so if i put in the s2-s40c in door and the s2-s80c in door along with tweeters (I would end up with an extra pair of tweeters since both sets come with tweets), there should nto be any issue with ASK AMP? my headunit would be powering the 4" mids and tweets and the ask would be powering the 8" woofs and the center dash speaker (which I dont really care about)
Old 12-29-2023, 04:39 PM
Wcube
Intermediate

so if i put in the s2-s40c in door and the s2-s80c in door along with tweeters (I would end up with an extra pair of tweeters since both sets come with tweets), there should nto be any issue with ASK AMP? my headunit would be powering the 4" mids and tweets and the ask would be powering the 8" woofs and the center dash speaker (which I dont really care about)
that is correct.

Also, if you really want to take advantage of the 8" Alpine door woofers, replacing the ASK amplifier with an aftermarket amplifier really improves the bass output.

Last edited by Wcube; 12-29-2023 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 01-02-2024, 11:19 AM
nate5150
Instructor

I am waiting on the Alpine S2-S40c to come in (4" mid driver and tweets) and will install those along with new factory replacement 8" ASK drivers just to keep 2ohm load there. I got a good deal on a set of factory ASK 8" so I'm just going to keep those factory. Mine are BLOWN so just having working speakers there will make a huge difference and I am hoping having sweeter mid range and a different tweet will upgrade the sound stage a bit... I am staying with factory ASK amp for now and have the Sony AX6000 head unit which has been great, really like the EQ it has.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:36 PM
nate5150
Instructor

I got my alpine s2-s40c and so far just did the passenger tweeter.
based on the alpine box, the black alpine wire with grey stripe is negative.

For the factory ASK tweeter, I see a red wire and a orange with brown stripe. I assume red is + and orange/brown is neg ?

My little ask tweeter has a black diode or resistor wired in it, is that the crossover? Does this alpine tweet go right in with no crossover needed?
Old 01-02-2024, 10:42 PM
Wcube
Intermediate

I got my alpine s2-s40c and so far just did the passenger tweeter.
based on the alpine box, the black alpine wire with grey stripe is negative.

For the factory ASK tweeter, I see a red wire and a orange with brown stripe. I assume red is + and orange/brown is neg ?

My little ask tweeter has a black diode or resistor wired in it, is that the crossover? Does this alpine tweet go right in with no crossover needed?
brown strip is negative. The Alpine kit comes with a capacitor that's fairly long and attached to a wire. It needs to be installed to the tweeter

Last edited by Wcube; 01-02-2024 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:44 PM
nate5150
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wcube
brown strip is negative. The Alpine kit comes with a capacitor that's fairly long and attached to a wire. It needs to be installed.
Ok. So I do need to install the big capacitor inline with the new tweeter. Should be room down in the cavity for it to fit... Will also need to just barely shave the tweeter body a bit to get it to snap in
Old 01-02-2024, 10:48 PM
Wcube
Intermediate

Ok. So I do need to install the big capacitor inline with the new tweeter. Should be room down in the cavity for it to fit... Will also need to just barely shave the tweeter body a bit to get it to snap in
On my car, I didnt think the capacitor would fit, but I just kept on nudging it in and it fit after all.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:53 PM
nate5150
Instructor

On my car, I didnt think the capacitor would fit, but I just kept on nudging it in and it fit after all.
And did you determine that it needed to be installed based on the sound, or? Because once I get the 4" mid drivers in, they are not wired to the tweeter.... The tweets are direct ASK replacements so I think the big alpine rubber thing is the crossover.... I have not sliced open the rubber to look at it yet
Old 01-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Wcube
Intermediate

And did you determine that it needed to be installed based on the sound, or? Because once I get the 4" mid drivers in, they are not wired to the tweeter.... The tweets are direct ASK replacements so I think the big alpine rubber thing is the crossover.... I have not sliced open the rubber to look at it yet
they are necessary to protect the tweeters from low frequency. They are wired in parallel with the 4" midrange via the factory wiring.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:16 AM
nate5150
Instructor

they are necessary to protect the tweeters from low frequency. They are wired in parallel with the 4" midrange via the factory wiring.
I will work on this more today. Will need to keep all wires extremely short or maybe just cut the resistor out of the bulky rubber housing and solder it across the tweet. Also which exact posi-tap set are you using? Can you link it?

Old 01-03-2024, 10:38 AM
Wcube
Intermediate

I will work on this more today. Will need to keep all wires extremely short or maybe just cut the resistor out of the bulky rubber housing and solder it across the tweet. Also which exact posi-tap set are you using? Can you link it?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP5...onnectors.html
Old 01-03-2024, 11:13 AM
nate5150
Instructor

Those are what I used to connect my harness from sony to the metra harness... I thought you were using POSI-TAP?

I caved in and ordered the S2-S80C set so I will be doing the 8" door drivers as well and will have an extra set of tweeters. What is the model you all are using for the rear speakers? The coaxial version of the same Alpine S2 series? When I flip my fader all the way to rear, the rears sound like muddy garbage.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:36 AM
Wcube
Intermediate

Those are what I used to connect my harness from sony to the metra harness... I thought you were using POSI-TAP?

I caved in and ordered the S2-S80C set so I will be doing the 8" door drivers as well and will have an extra set of tweeters. What is the model you all are using for the rear speakers? The coaxial version of the same Alpine S2 series? When I flip my fader all the way to rear, the rears sound like muddy garbage.
I used different Posi products, and found that the Posi-Twist were the best ones to use.

S2-S40 were the ones that I used. You can see the pics of them in the earlier posts. Just so you know, they are almost a perfect fit, but do force the factory mounts to bow a little bit due to the tweeters, but once you put the grill over, they look fine. A lower profile 4" speaker without the protruding tweeter would probably fit perfectly, but I wanted to keep the Alpines there for consistency.

Last edited by Wcube; 01-03-2024 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:06 PM
nate5150
Instructor

Fighting with Dremel to try and grind away just enough to make it fit was a waste of time and not ideal. I took the whole tweet out of the ring and it was effortless. Passenger tweet is all wired and in, using the resistor / filter inline. It all fits you just need to solder and keeps wires really short and not bulky. I am not blown away by the tweet difference between the ASK tweet and the alpine. Perhaps after I get the alpine 4" and 8" in all will sound better.

EDIT: Both tweets are in and def sound better. Love the EQ on the Sony 6000 deck. If anyone else is doing tweets, do not even bother trying to dremel/grind. Just take the whole tweet out and use the foam surrounds to cradle it. I also used some adhhesive contouring foarm tape around the edges and bottom - They are nice and snug. Oddly,k the driver side wires coming out of the tweet hole were not as long as the passenger side, so that was some very delicate and precise soldering and heat shrinking going on there! next I will do the 4" mids and the 8" mains. waiting on the 8" to arrive via post.

Last edited by nate5150; 01-03-2024 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Non-Bose budget speaker upgrade