opinions on selling my 7.2S with aesthetic mods or take back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 02:04 PM
jalvani
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 192K miles

Interesting... hmmm.... For me, I would not buy a modded car. My perception is that anyone who modded a car would drive it harder and therefore life is lessened. True? I dunno... but I would want to buy from " a little old lady from Pasedena". I keep my cars a long time and looking for a babied machine. There are a lot of cars out there and I would wait and get what I wanted, including those that met my prejudices.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
My take is that an enthusiast who isn't beating on the car or primarily using it as a track toy would treat the car as well if not better than the "little old lady from Pasadena". I'll use my Dad as an example: he loved cars, bought some desirable ones, and was absolute trash at maintaining them. When it was time to sell, he'd have the car detailed, pay to clean up any wear items, and play the "I'm just an old dude, I drive it back and forth to work and that's it. I didn't keep good records, but I do all the maintenance, etc." card.

On the other hand, I tend to mod my cars but I'm also meticulous about documenting and maintaining them. Who would you rather buy from?

Old 09-18-2023, 02:43 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 144 Posts

Where I live the age of Porsche owners has come down significantly, and I think the expectations and acceptance and even appreciation of tasteful mods has changed a ton. The younger people are doing stuff with their car. They customize them and they drive them, sometimes even on a weekday or in the rain. Your car looks great as is, frankly it looks boring as hell in the before picture but I'm sure some 60+ yr old who is looking for his first Porsche will love it. BTW, my meteor gray metallic C2S looks boring as hell without some door stripes too, but I do like the Carrera II wheels and I'm partial to orange side markers. I think this will have sufficiently annoyed most of the people here
The following 2 users liked this post by dmpslc:
jalvani (09-18-2023), mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 03:22 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Cosmetically stock. Lowered is probably fine. If I were a prospective buyer AND the modding type, I'd want a blank canvas instead of someone else's concept. Who knows whether you'd get more $$$ selling stock vs as-is, but I bet your buyer pool opens up a bunch if it's all back to normal - at least normal looking. Plus, those parts (wheels and ducktail) are likely easy sales here.
The following 2 users liked this post by texass4:
aasilvia (09-18-2023), Jett911 (09-21-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 03:34 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Your car is tastefully done.

Id try to sell it intact on PCA Mart and Rennlist with the OEM parts given to the buyer.

I would try it for a few months and if it doesn’t sell, return to stock.
The following users liked this post:
mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 05:25 PM
jalvani
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpslc
[...]The younger people are doing stuff with their car. They customize them and they drive them, sometimes even on a weekday or in the rain.
LMAO. God forbid!

I totally agree with you.
The following 3 users liked this post by jalvani:
dmpslc (09-18-2023), Graufuchs (09-18-2023), mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 06:12 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
Rennlist and PCA may bring the "mod" buyer.....otherwise BAT would be better stock... either way offering both options should be attractive to someone knowing and wanting a dot two manual coupe - getting harder to find.....
I think you have a 68 - 72 K car in this "soft" market....your car will bring very good money the longer you have it, as all Porsches do.
totally agree here. it depends on the venue. I'm likely in the same dilemna (as others of course) since I've just started modifying my C2 from stock. Considering, I'm only the 2nd owner of a 2006 example I also feel weak having caved into customizing her instead of leaving it alone considering how long it's been original. Anyway, I plan to keep as is and if I do sell it, will take it back to stock (office is already getting tons of stock parts since my garage is full...) and list on BAT. Seems to be the best place to get the most $$

Lastly, I see you're in the bay area, tons of tech bro $$ up there. Bet it sells locally.

Last edited by aasilvia; 09-18-2023 at 06:18 PM.
mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 10:33 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Mike, I am excited for your prospective GT3 purchase. If you are not in a rush, list it as-as and include the stock parts. There is a buyer out there but the audience is more limited than if it was put back to stock. It will likely take a little longer to sell and you will not get the value you would if you were to return to stock and sell the parts separately. But there is the PITA factor of returning to stock and question if the value/time to do so is worth it to you. Either way, I am excited to see the next ride. Please PM me when you get the GT3!
I'm really hoping I get invited to one of the drives you and Kirby have been on. I love sport touring. Seeing the countryside, good times with people of similar interests etc etc. I know Kirby and would love to do one of these drives when the timing is right.....If only the GTS had the Mezger LOL
Old 09-19-2023, 05:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
Hey all, hoping to upgrade to a 997 GT3 here soon, but I'm contingent upon selling my 997.2 C2s, 34k miles, six speed, two-owner. Arctic Silver over Dark Blue (Sea Foam)

It has Eibach lowering springs, Fake Fuchs, Getty ducky and script, GT3 steering wheel.

Sell it like this or take back to stock? It is a very nice car and I'm reluctant to sell as it would be very difficult to find a like car....thats the main reason for my procrastination into the GT3. Only reason for upgrade is I would like to spend a little more time at the track and I really want that Mezger engine.

I have a pro-touring 70 Camaro SS/RS-LS highly modded that I'm also listing...
For what it's worth, I had what I think my rather mildly modded GTS up for sale a couple of years ago now. No tunes or anything done to the engine. Mods are H&R springs, $7,000 Forgeline wheels, $10,000 OEM carbon fiber GT2 seats and a Sharkwerks bypass center muffler (have the stock center muffler). I had plenty of inquiries but ALL of them asked if I had the stock wheels (I don't), if I have the stock seats (I don't), if I have the stock springs (I don't). So you see where I'm going with this.

Every single inquiry I got wanted bone stock. Never mind that they could have bought the car with next to $20,000 worth of mods, sold the wheels and the seats and would probably have pocketed at least $10,000 selling the wheels and the seats sourcing stock wheels and stock seats. I got tired of the whole thing, took it off the market and just decided to keep it. So if it's not obvious by now, put it back to stock unless you enjoy frustration and confusion .
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
elwademd (11-05-2023), mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:09 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

great point sandwedge - everyone has a specific goal/taste when modding. so to have to hear criticism and negative comments and then have the 'buyer' use their criticism to beat you down on price, not worth it.

Last edited by aasilvia; 09-19-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:33 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

You have both sides of the equation between @Busta Rib and @sandwedge advice.

I'd opine that the elegant solution is to offer the car as is, with the OEM parts (which you have, and sandwedge didn't).
Calculate the value of the mods, to you, financially/PITA wise, and set your price here on RL and maybe Panorama classifieds, prior to listing BaT or PCAR. The non-bidder commenters on BaT will **** you off, especially when criticizing the mods- even if more valuable and desired- like sandwedge's experience.

The buyer who appreciates, and is willing to pay for, your mods is somewhere out there- and your best chance of connecting is likely through a RL post on this very 997 forum with an embedded link to your RL Marketplace Vehicle ad. Add all the pics and documentation this site allows and answer the responses individually via PM. Those reading this post constitute a subset of Porsche/911/997 enthusiasts with appreciation for tasteful mods.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
Busta Rib (09-19-2023), mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:58 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Just put it up as is. If I were looking at a 997 yours would be the one I would be drawn to. Its a 'modern' Porsche (plus 997.2S, manual) modded tastefully and nominally to reflect the quintessential 911 that we as kids had as posters on our walls. It just has that tough 911 look. I may be biased because I have repro "Fuchs" as well lowered on Eibachs and I get way more complements and "hey you looking to sell anytime soon ..." than when I was driving it completely stock.

,Also, your sitch is different from Sand's (stunning GTS BTW) as he tried to sell about 3-4years ago IIRC and people may have thought his price was inflated at the time due to the +$20k in wheels and seats, plus PDK, that many would not appreciate, and as mentioned, you have all the stock parts.

But who knows, at the end of the day, old cliché .... money talks, BS walks....
ATX_Native (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 03:20 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

This is old school but when I buy a car (or anything else) I survey the owner. I don't do PPI. If you are knowledgeable about what you are doing you can learn more by talking to the owner and going through any records they may have. This has worked for me for many, many years and always turned out perfectly. I picked up my 997.2 c2 6 speed with fuchs, sharkwerks, SSK , etc from a 60 year old Hollywood pianist and music composer,- one owner. Certainly not a Ricky Racer type but a great car from a great owner.
You will sell the car, the will represent itself. (I also always get comments at PCA cars and coffee about how great my car stands and looks.
Good luck!
mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:39 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

BTW -lets see that Camaro!! I had a '71 split bumper SS396 (402) with the turbo 400. Blew the motor one time but was able to rebuild it at 18 years old, no you tube or internet to guide me..
The following 2 users liked this post by Sporty:
johnodee (09-22-2023), mikes70 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 07:11 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
BTW -lets see that Camaro!! I had a '71 split bumper SS396 (402) with the turbo 400. Blew the motor one time but was able to rebuild it at 18 years old, no you tube or internet to guide me..

The following 4 users liked this post by mikes70:
elwademd (11-05-2023), qikqbn (09-20-2023), Que (09-20-2023), Sporty (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 07:12 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Floyd540
This is old school but when I buy a car (or anything else) I survey the owner. I don't do PPI. If you are knowledgeable about what you are doing you can learn more by talking to the owner and going through any records they may have. This has worked for me for many, many years and always turned out perfectly. I picked up my 997.2 c2 6 speed with fuchs, sharkwerks, SSK , etc from a 60 year old Hollywood pianist and music composer,- one owner. Certainly not a Ricky Racer type but a great car from a great owner.
You will sell the car, the will represent itself. (I also always get comments at PCA cars and coffee about how great my car stands and looks.
Good luck!
Buy the seller. Good advice.

Quick Reply: opinions on selling my 7.2S with aesthetic mods or take back to stock