Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's vs Aftermarket high pressure fuel pump => implications?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Milan Berka
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche's vs Aftermarket high pressure fuel pump => implications?

Hi Rennlisters,

My high pressure fuel pump on 997.2 Targa died => I took the car to the Porsche Center for repair. However, the problem is that the Porsche Center apparently does not have any HPFP on stock and they don't know when it can be available. They literally told me: "look, the supplier (which I understood is Porsche's "Central Warehouse" in Germany) is telling us that the delivery of the pump to us is currently without the time guarantee - it can be tomorrow or it can be in one year, we don't know, maybe they have to manufacture a brand new one". I am already waiting for like 1.5 month and pump delivery date is still unknown.

I started to look elsewhere (non-authorized repair shops) and everyone is telling me that they are able to get the pump in 2-3 days. I assume it is an aftermarket.

How would you proceed here? Is it worth waiting for the "original" pump from Porsche or is it ok to install aftermarket pump? What should I ask the repair shop / Porsche center?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2023, 09:46 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 980 Posts

2009 C2S 192K miles

I don't have data specific to this pump, I have dealt with parts shortages from Porsche. So... I would not assume the alternative suppliers are aftermarket. When the supply starts to dry up, you can find Porsche parts from other sources. Further, I have purchased non-Porsche labeled parts that are really the exact same thing from the same makers (AKA OE or OEM). You need to do more research. Another alternative is to buy from the UK or other Euro market... you will pay more, but you may be able to get exactly what you want. Check eBay. Check FCPEuro or Pelican... they tell you if the part is original, OEM/OM, or aftermarket.

These supply issues are nuts... I really don't know what is going on but something really wacky is going on. Fuel pumps are go/no go parts for operating our cars and for Porsche to let these disappear is really wrong no matter how you look at it.... particularly when Porsche brags in adverts how many of their cars are still on the road.

Let us know how it goes.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-10-2023 at 09:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
Larson E. Rapp (07-12-2024), Milan Berka (09-11-2023), Rallybill (11-07-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 09:52 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Milan, while I have no definitive answer to your dilemma, I can with most certainty assure you that Porsche does not manufacture the fuel pump. I would be very inclined to assume that it's probably made by Bosch and it's probably also in use by Audi and maybe even VW.

Like I said, not the answer you're looking for but probably another venue to take a look at.
The following users liked this post:
Milan Berka (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:56 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan Berka
Hi Rennlisters,

My high pressure fuel pump on 997.2 Targa died => I took the car to the Porsche Center for repair. However, the problem is that the Porsche Center apparently does not have any HPFP on stock and they don't know when it can be available. They literally told me: "look, the supplier (which I understood is Porsche's "Central Warehouse" in Germany) is telling us that the delivery of the pump to us is currently without the time guarantee - it can be tomorrow or it can be in one year, we don't know, maybe they have to manufacture a brand new one". I am already waiting for like 1.5 month and pump delivery date is still unknown.

I started to look elsewhere (non-authorized repair shops) and everyone is telling me that they are able to get the pump in 2-3 days. I assume it is an aftermarket.

How would you proceed here? Is it worth waiting for the "original" pump from Porsche or is it ok to install aftermarket pump? What should I ask the repair shop / Porsche center?

Thanks!
My HPFP was failing, so I used a Foxwell NT530 to confirm pump pressures vs the fuel pressure demand.

I bought a "new" HPFP pump off Ebay, I can only assume it's a rebuilt item.

I DIY fitted it in 2020, the new HPFP transformed the car's performance, The engine or pump have not missed a beat since.

Be bold.

Milan Berka (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 05:16 AM
Milan Berka
Track Day

Thanks guys for the replies - highly appreciated. Alright, I will see what I can do here
Old 09-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Unless the car is under warranty and they're giving you a loaner, I wouldn't be taking it to the dealer anyway - higher labor prices and from what I've seen shoddier work with less care that they've done shoddier work. If FCP Euro shows one on their website, buy it from them, have it replaced at a respected Indy mechanic and the part will be guaranteed for life coming from FCP so you'll never pay for another one.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:45 AM
Milan Berka
Track Day

Hi everybody,

so I finally managed to get the new pump. Took almost 4 months. They are simply not available.

However there is a new problem After the pump change, the car ran ok for 1 day. And the very next day when I turned on the keys, the car started to behave weirdly - after the start, the engine was shaking, rpms were dropping out of nowhere, the car was jerking on the road and after some time, the orange engine light started flashing. So we turned the engine off, waited and tried to turn it on again. And suddenly the problems were gone - the car was behaving ok. Quite a scary situation. Now we will try to diagnose what is wrong - again :/

Last edited by Milan Berka; 11-06-2023 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:16 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 980 Posts

You need to read the codes. Stop off at an autozone or other parts store, they will read for free.

It could be just a coincidental failure of an ignition coil, or related to the pump... codes should tell you.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-06-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:24 AM
Milan Berka
Track Day

We took it to the mechanic and the code reads: misfires on cylinders 1, 2, 3. And the O2 sensor is throwing error (this is a long term issue with the car though).

Today, we took the car for a spin and it was behaving ok - start was ok, ride was smooth, no problems on the road...
Old 11-07-2023, 12:14 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Which pump did you replace it with? Link us here so we know
Old 11-07-2023, 03:27 AM
Milan Berka
Track Day

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Which pump did you replace it with? Link us here so we know
The part number: 9A111031507. It was taken from another car' engine (not sure if 997.2 or 991.1).
Old 07-12-2024, 01:38 PM
Masonsett
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing wrong with a Porsche reman, but don’t trust aftermarket remanufactured. Haven’t ever seen good luck with any aftermarket remanufactured fueling component
Old 07-12-2024, 04:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Why buy a remanufactured one with a core charge when you can get a new one for less money? I ordered 9A111031507 from Gaudin in Las Vegas first thing Tuesday morning - free shipping $1,240. It went out Tuesday afternoon and was at the shop Thursday afternoon. It was cheaper from Delaware Porsche, but I dont know if was on the shelf. I called Gaudin and was told it was in stock.
https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...mp-9a111031507

anewman (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche's vs Aftermarket high pressure fuel pump => implications?