Water trough cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 05:08 PM
Swedish997
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water trough cabin filter

Greetings from rainy Sweden!
I have had my car parked in my slightly slanted driveway, nose down, for some time and after a heavy rainstorm I found a lot of water in the passenger foot well, clogged drainage tubes I thought so I fixed that. Couple of days later, new rain and wet carpet again now I executed a more thorough investigation and I found out that the water was leaking from under the dash through the airduct, went outside removed the air filter and it was damp. I reached into the airduct from under the air filter and there was a pool of water inside the duct. I poured some water on the windscreen and I found out that some water finds it's way under the weatherstrip on the cowl cover on to the thick foam above the air filter and the drips down on the air filter it self.
My question is:
Is there any DIY solution for this? if the car is parked like this and the weather strip is not 100% water tight water will find it's way in like this. Sure I can turn the car around with the rear facing down but yet again car must be possible to park in a small slope without becoming a "bathtub"

Old 08-28-2023, 07:02 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 966 Posts

Check all your drains are cleared throughout and that your windshield is sealed
Old 08-29-2023, 03:43 AM
Swedish997
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
Check all your drains are cleared throughout and that your windshield is sealed
Checked...
When I pour water on the windscreen I can literally see the water under the cowl cover dripping on top of the foam piece covering the filter and then dripping down inside the filter box.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 4,127 Posts

I'd be surprised if there's not a drain in that filter box, but haven't opened one in a while.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Swedish997
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'd be surprised if there's not a drain in that filter box, but haven't opened one in a while.
Well I don't have it in mine... but that was something I was considering drilling some holes in it, but yet again not the best solution.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

My 2010 has a foam like cover piece on it. This is very fragile and I could see it getting damaged (and removed by a tech to hide the damage) when the cabin filter is changed. A friend's car has a ripped version on his car.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2023, 04:11 PM
Swedish997
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
My 2010 has a foam like cover piece on it. This is very fragile and I could see it getting damaged (and removed by a tech to hide the damage) when the cabin filter is changed. A friend's car has a ripped version on his car.
Yep my car has the same but the water finds it's way between the lighter foam (seen in the picture) and more sturdier (which you can spot to the left close to the hood strut). Second problem is that the lighter foam goes on top of the "inner" (heavier) foam hence the water can drip down.

Quick Reply: Water trough cabin filter