Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My alternator is stuck and need help identifying broken part.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 09:09 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts
Default My alternator is stuck and need help identifying broken part.

So my alternator went out over the weekend and I’m trying to take out the old one. According to most of the how-to’s I’ve looked up I should be abke to talp the mounting bolt and have the nut back out enough so that the alternator will swing out. After lots of WD40, PB Blaster and tapping, its not moving.

Any suggestions on how to get it free?

Also, a plastic hose connectir broke. Any idea what this part is so that I can find it online?

Old 07-26-2023, 09:15 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 709 Likes on 443 Posts

For first timer,

1. Remove the plate where that broken piece of pipe is attached to, Some coolant will spill out.
2. Remove the two bolts attaching the alternator (one of them has a pulley on it)
3. use a prybar to lever UP the right side of the alternator.,
4. Without the coolant platem the alternator will come out vey easy.

That broken pipe is the piece of **** plastic pipe that breaks ALL THE TIME., Get a rerplacement from AutoAtlanta or Pelican that is made of metal.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:17 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by spessx
So my alternator went out over the weekend and I’m trying to take out the old one. According to most of the how-to’s I’ve looked up I should be abke to talp the mounting bolt and have the nut back out enough so that the alternator will swing out. After lots of WD40, PB Blaster and tapping, its not moving.

Any suggestions on how to get it free?

Also, a plastic hose connectir broke. Any idea what this part is so that I can find it online?

I had the same break. I did this. ;-). Been solid for over a year now. Not gonna break again.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:27 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe the P/N for the black plastic connector is 996 106 226 52
Old 07-26-2023, 11:12 PM
spessx
Racer

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-28-2023, 12:19 AM
spessx
Racer

Ok, so the new alternator is in and I got a new plastic fitting from Porsche, but the upper hose unplugged from wherever it originates somewhere under the throttle body.

Anyone know where I can see a picture or diagram of where it plugs in?

See the upper hose in this pic:

Old 07-28-2023, 07:58 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

That is not good news.

1. It does not unplug unless something is broken.
2. You now need to remove the throttle body, the large hose behind that body, the AC compressor, the PS reservoir before you can get to the very bottom connection of the AOS in order to reconnect or replace that hose.

IF you are going through that whole exercise, it may be time to replace the AOS, which is an opportunity to reinvent many cuss words.

Good luck.

Last edited by yelcab; 07-28-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:30 AM
spessx
Racer

No. There’s gotta be another way.

What is this line anyway?
Old 07-28-2023, 12:00 PM
spessx
Racer

Originally Posted by yelcab
That is not good news.

1. It does not unplug unless something is broken.
2. You now need to remove the throttle body, the large hose behind that body, the AC compressor, the PS reservoir before you can get to the very bottom connection of the AOS in order to reconnect or replace that hose.

IF you are going through that whole exercise, it may be time to replace the AOS, which is an opportunity to reinvent many cuss words.

Good luck.
Hi Yelcab

Unfortunately, you're 100% correct. Something did go wrong. It looks like one of the plastic lines out broke off of the AOS - so I'm getting a new AOS. lol

Also, it seems that the only place around that has an AOS in stock is O'Reilly Auto Parts (go figure). Do you think it's ok to use an aftermarket AOS? Or do I need to order one from Porsche or Pelican, etc?
Old 07-28-2023, 03:40 PM
spessx
Racer

Hi Yelcab

Unfortunately, you're 100% correct. Something did go wrong. It looks like one of the plastic lines out broke off of the AOS - so I'm getting a new AOS. lol

Also, it seems that the only place around that has an AOS in stock is O'Reilly Auto Parts (go figure). Do you think it's ok to use an aftermarket AOS? Or do I need to order one from Porsche or Pelican, etc?
I ended up ordering from the Porsche dealer just to get an oem part. I'm sure all of the hoses will immediately break when I touch them.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:35 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 145 Posts

No. There’s gotta be another way.
This made me chuckle and is usually my first response to bad news no matter the topic.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:38 PM
spessx
Racer

Hi Yelcab

Originally Posted by dmpslc
This made me chuckle and is usually my first response to bad news no matter the topic.
Yeah, I woke up, saw there was a response - and this was not the response I was expecting. I've gone through the stages of grief and am now on acceptance. I ordered a new AOS and the hose that broke. Hopefully, other hoses aren't needed.
The following users liked this post:
ATX_Native (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 08:34 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Dude. I feel your pain. I just went through something similar where the offending unit is just behind the AOS. It is an excellent decision to buy the AOS from a dealer. Expensive but do it just once.

This is what you need to get to:

The following users liked this post:
spessx (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 10:06 PM
spessx
Racer

Originally Posted by yelcab
Dude. I feel your pain. I just went through something similar where the offending unit is just behind the AOS. It is an excellent decision to buy the AOS from a dealer. Expensive but do it just once.

This is what you need to get to:

I’ve got a lot of work to do once the part arrives. Looks like it won’t get here until I’m back from vacation. It’s too bad because I’d love to go for a drive in it. Should I replace the hoses? There’s 6 total and they’re about $100-200 each.
Old 07-29-2023, 03:45 AM
RoadtripRyan
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should replace them, if you have the chance, especially if one already broke, meaning they are already brittle. Though I have to admit, the price is quite high compared to what we have to pay in Germany.
You can change all „big“ tubes. There is a small coolant tube which cannot be changed (will look for the part nr later) without engine out. Found that out after purchasing it.
Also the tube behind the alternator can be reached from below the car. No need to remove the alternator. Make sure to listen for the „click“ sound when connecting the tubes.

edit:
Forgot something:
The AOS metal holder has a pipe below it. You should check, if there is oil around it. My car was sweating, probably due to old gasket. I also changed the gasket, since its the only time you can easily do so. Part nr: 996 113 213 51
See attached picture.

Last edited by RoadtripRyan; 07-29-2023 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: My alternator is stuck and need help identifying broken part.