Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Swap with PCM 3.0 from another 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 04:29 PM
FLAFYRE
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM 3.0 Swap with PCM 3.0 from another 997

Hello my orig PCM unit on my 2011 C4s went out and I've found another 2011 PCM matching operable unit. Will it be plug n play? Is there programming that dealer has to do, or some kind of PIN i'll need? I do have the VIN avail from replacement vehicle as well if needed. Thanks for info!!
Old 07-24-2023, 09:17 AM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Good question, I have been to three different Dealerships and none of them could modify PCM code. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just have not found any Technicians with the knowledge to do it.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:33 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 191K miles

Here is what I understand... I did not do this myself. There were some hardware/software changes with the PCM unit over the years so if you replace with the same year, you should be fine.

These units fail, and the dealer will replace them. There is coding to do. For example, the PCM unit integrates with the car and presents features such as auto-door lock buttons depending on your car's options. Sport Chrono will present optins in the PCM menus that are not there for non sport chrono. There are other "software switches" in the PCM unit the dealer must code to such as Bose premium vs base. For this option, the PCM unit is the exact same where one turns on the speaker terminals in the PCM unit, the other turns them off and turns on the fibre optic port to then communicate with the premium amplifier/digital processor. Other coding the dealer must do includes the mapping features. The PCM unit presents information on the dash under the tach... coding is probably important for here too.

If it were me and I had a failed PCM unit, I would not hisitate to buy one from eBay or wherever, install it, and drive to a dealer for set up. If a dealer has no experience doing this and can't give you advice... no issues... they have all the procedure instructions in their support documentation... they can pull it up to make it work. I know this because early in my ownership, I took my car to the dealer to enable auto-door locks. The dealer had never enabled it before... it didn't work because I did not have sport chrono.. the dealer didn't know anything about this conditional option. Anywho... I figured it out but the tech was able to navigate the computer options and do the work despite his lack of understanding.

Now what I don't know is if your new/used unit was coded for a car with different options, what will happen when you plug it in. I suspect it will just play and work unless it was a non-premium in a premium car... you may see some odd things in your dash display or whatever... but this is just speculation.

Download this PDF from MrMoose that describes all the PCM variations... but again, if you stick to the same year and then go to the dealer for coding, you will be OK.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18337189

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-24-2023 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Swap with PCM 3.0 from another 997