Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennsport Dragon Rally Oct 25-27

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 03:34 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Holy Chit! Amazing they captured that on camera.

I get why you would be hesitant to do it again. I would never want to be the lead car in a group with all those blind curves.

Last edited by jbkusa; 07-27-2023 at 03:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 03:49 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not sure you've all seen my last Dragon Rally photos (and why I'm not chomping at the bit to go back). Someone had an issue with the condiments rule.

Nothing like coming around a blind corner at high speed to find someone else 2/3 in your lane.

Impossible to believe, but no contact!
I remember you posting this Pete! Close call!
Petza914 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 03:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkusa
Holy Chit! Amazing they captured that on camera.

I get why you would be hesitant to do it again. I would never want to be the lead car in a group with all those blind curves.
Happened to be the corner Killboy was setup in that day - he gets some amazing shots.

The adrenaline shot from that close call actually caused my back to spasm and I drove home the next morning skipping the rest of the weekend. I much preferred the surrounding roads to the Tail of the Dragon itself. Those high speed roads that parallel the river are much more fun to me than the 30-40 mph back and forth twisties.

Did get some cool shots from other parts of the day though.

The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
DesmoSD (07-27-2023), Liste-Renn (08-01-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 04:20 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Happened to be the corner Killboy was setup in that day - he gets some amazing shots.

The adrenaline shot from that close call actually caused my back to spasm and I drove home the next morning skipping the rest of the weekend. I much preferred the surrounding roads to the Tail of the Dragon itself. Those high speed roads that parallel the river are much more fun to me than the 30-40 mph back and forth twisties.

Which group were you in?
I agree, the roads along the river are awesome!

I will admit, I had a little misstep along one of the fast-sweeping mountain top road where I had a mis-shift and slide out into the other lane at over 70mph. I was lucky that there was no oncoming traffic. @JRitt@essex was behind me and probably remembers that day. I didn't have a back spasm but I did have to check my underwear after that!

Last edited by jbkusa; 07-27-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:28 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Is the Lodge the place where every stays at? Since I'm in Knoxville, I'm close to the Tail but on the west side.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:22 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Is the Lodge the place where every stays at? Since I'm in Knoxville, I'm close to the Tail but on the west side.
Mostly. I know some folks get a cabin or stay nearby. I have a small cabin at Fontana Village. It would be some long days to commute each day. We start early each day (7-7:30 am) and end around 5-6pm. Then they have a group dinner and drinks by the bonfire.
DesmoSD (07-29-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 06:27 PM
rmk83
Track Day

Received 50 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah Hellbender along the river, Cherohalla, 28 from Franklin to 74... Much better roads than the Dragon. I do it once a trip then just have a blast on the other roads. Glad no contact there! Close call...
Old 07-28-2023, 10:58 AM
jbkusa
Pro

this looked like a fun corner.
Petza914 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 02:13 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jbkusa
Mostly. I know some folks get a cabin or stay nearby. I have a small cabin at Fontana Village. It would be some long days to commute each day. We start early each day (7-7:30 am) and end around 5-6pm. Then they have a group dinner and drinks by the bonfire.
Thank you as you've answered my next question. You're right. Driving back each night would be too much especially after a full day of driving. My wife used to go with me on all of the PCA events in San Diego but this event she's not really up for it. In SoCal, I knew all of the canyons like the back of my hand but since this is all new territory to me and she knows that I like to rip in the canyons, she's worried. I get it, I'm going to maintain a nice pace as I heard this area can be a zoo on the weekends. How is the pace for this event?
Old 07-30-2023, 09:04 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Thank you as you've answered my next question. You're right. Driving back each night would be too much especially after a full day of driving. My wife used to go with me on all of the PCA events in San Diego but this event she's not really up for it. In SoCal, I knew all of the canyons like the back of my hand but since this is all new territory to me and she knows that I like to rip in the canyons, she's worried. I get it, I'm going to maintain a nice pace as I heard this area can be a zoo on the weekends. How is the pace for this event?
I think we drove the tail of the dragon once… the event leaders know of many other GREAT roads that are less traveled.

Pace: there is something for everyone 😎
DesmoSD (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 04:04 PM
CLT997C4S
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

I will be there with my wife in the 997.1 C4S. This will be our 7th time and it is always a blast. Really looking forward to it and hope to meet some of you. We will be staying at the Fontana lodge. It is not in the best shape, but it is nice to be able to relax and wind down after the day of driving. We have done AirBnBs, as well as Tapoco resort in the past. While those accommodations are much nicer, they are not as convenient. Agree that the Dragon can be a dicey road and the other routes they plan out are the best parts of the weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by CLT997C4S:
DesmoSD (07-31-2023), jbkusa (07-31-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 04:42 PM
Aspirated9's
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dragon Rally GPS

I'm going to my first next month. I know I need a FRS radio, but what GPS unit is recommended? TIA
Old 10-03-2023, 08:01 PM
Onlyflat6
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspirated9's
I'm going to my first next month. I know I need a FRS radio, but what GPS unit is recommended? TIA
I have a Garmin and it works great .
Old 10-04-2023, 12:05 AM
voidopolis
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife and I did the spring event (first timers!) and had a great time. Agree on the comments about the dragon not being the highlight of the event - so many high-speed twisty roads to enjoy in the area. Our first run down the dragon our group ended up being stuck behind a "sofa on wheels" one of those rental trikes... he was going so slowly that we were literally stopping on the corners following this idiot - of course they refused to take any of the pull-offs even with a group of 15 Porsches behind him...

We booked our room (cabana room @ the pool) during the spring event for the 2024 spring event - so we are looking forward to going again this spring. I'd warn folks of staying in some of the cabins on-site @ Fontana - the one we had was a PIT. Ask for cabin that his been updated or stay in the lodge or cabanas.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:53 PM
Safistikated
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone aware of the schedule? I have an event in Charlotte the 26th so trying to figure out the days and times the driving starts so I can make it on time if I am to join!

Quick Reply: Rennsport Dragon Rally Oct 25-27