Replacing the OEM shocks rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 08:02 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing the OEM shocks rear

Hey all.
Quick question for all of you 997.2 owners that may have replaced rear shocks. I have an 09 997.2 with 62K miles. It does have the sport, and sport+ option which I think comes down to the 'PASM' system. Time to replace the rear shocks, and there is basically two options;

OE Bilstein B4 with PASM
or Bilstein B6 with PASM.

The B6 is supposed to have slightly firmer ride, and the cost difference is only $5 per shock.

Anyone upgraded to the B6 that can give me any feedback? Better? Wish you had stayed with OE etc?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2023, 10:45 PM
Ailerons
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

Just did the suspension on my 2009 C2 without PASM about 500 miles ago. I went with the B6 for a little more firmness. I used the original springs. Initial impressions were that it was more firm than expected. Then again, when I had the alignment done right after, they cranked my tire pressure to 36/41. I played with the tire pressure a bit and now have it in a place where I don’t find it too firm for rough roads, around 31/33 or so. I also thought the ride height was a little higher than factory height at first, but it has since settled and looks normal again. I’ve pushed the car on open roads and found the limit is about the same as before, but now I feel even more of the road. I’m happy with the B6, but I probably could have gone with the B4 and would be saying the same thing. My 997 isn’t my daily, but if needed, I would daily it with the current set up and not complain about the ride quality.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:18 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Just went thru this. Went from oem PASM units (with h&r springs) to bilstein b6 damptronic units (with eibach springs) and new tower mounts all around. Result: the car sat much higher than before (close to oem height) and the ride was much more firm.

Best,
Old 09-10-2023, 01:34 PM
Rob Follin
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m in the process now of changing the rear shocks to Bilstein B6 (waiting for the part I need to arrive before I can proceed- the original spring top gaskets have deteriorated and must be replaced). Car is back up in the air on Jack stands. I just completed the front struts and have been very pleased with the my initial test drive after removing the old leaking front struts and changing to B6 front struts. I am keeping the OEM springs and my C2 does not have PASM. The ride height is higher but I expect them to settle down. I really like how it feels… the road through the curves. Overall very happy so far with the results.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:57 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob Follin
I’m in the process now of changing the rear shocks to Bilstein B6 (waiting for the part I need to arrive before I can proceed- the original spring top gaskets have deteriorated and must be replaced). Car is back up in the air on Jack stands. I just completed the front struts and have been very pleased with the my initial test drive after removing the old leaking front struts and changing to B6 front struts. I am keeping the OEM springs and my C2 does not have PASM. The ride height is higher but I expect them to settle down. I really like how it feels… the road through the curves. Overall very happy so far with the results.
Good to know. Having my rears replaced tomorrow at an independent. Also having the tops and sway bar links replaced at same time. Will update when I get it back.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:11 PM
Rob Follin
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front B6 Strut installed

2009 Carrera C2 Bilstein B6 Front Struts Installed
The following users liked this post:
pigfoot (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 04:18 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

I had mine replaced with B6 as well. No real noticeable difference.
later on I had the fronts changed to B6 as well. It seams reasonable
to have them all matched. Very happy with this setup.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:19 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Seems awfully close to the tire? or is that just the angle of the picture?

Quick Reply: Replacing the OEM shocks rear