Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the most reliable IMS replacement bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 04:58 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Wouldn't you just have the shop doing the rebuild add the IMS work. Why outsource it to two different shops. If something goes haywire now you only need to converse with one party. Your existing bearings not going to fail between now and the rebuild is it?
Old 07-12-2023, 05:12 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jonan
i mean, i'm in ATX so if you want to see what the oil line looks like i can throw my car on the lift and show you why the groove is cut on the motor..i have the full IMS solution intstalled on my 4L FSI motor...
Hi - thanks for the offer! After watching all of the videos I'm comfortable with the IMS solution and my shop's ability to install it. What do you think about the 4.0 motor? Is the driveability as good as stock?
Old 07-12-2023, 05:14 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
Wouldn't you just have the shop doing the rebuild add the IMS work. Why outsource it to two different shops. If something goes haywire now you only need to converse with one party. Your existing bearings not going to fail between now and the rebuild is it?
I don't know when my motor will be a rebuild. It's not showing any signs right now but its at 97k and its a 3.8. I just want to prevent catastrophic failure that could damage valves, crank, block, etc and make rebuild more expensive.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:38 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

i can't say since i bought my 997 with a blown motor...but it sounds amazing and i've walked 991 c2s's before...tons of torque!
Old 07-13-2023, 08:28 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by spessx
Hi Bruce

Because the IMS Solution is $2k just for the kit, plus the engine case has to be machined for installation. There’s not a local shop that I trust to do the work. My engine currently has 97k on it and I’m guessing it will need a rebuild sooner rather than later. It seens to me to make sense to add an oil fed solution when I do the full rebuild and switch to nikasil cylinders.
The notching of the bell housing takes only a few minutes and the overall installation should not take much longer than standard IMS bearing replacement.

I will add that the IMS Solution can be reused. Most customers have been able to reuse theirs at time of engine overhaul as long as it isn't a catastrophic failures where the IMS shaft has been hit with a connecting rod or the IMS sprocket falls off.

Quick Reply: Which is the most reliable IMS replacement bearing?