997.1 Sport mode retrofit TIPTRONIC- 1st gear start

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 10:07 PM
B's_997
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Sport mode retrofit TIPTRONIC- 1st gear start

Hi all,

Quick question. I did search the forums and did not find any adequate answer to my query. I have a 2005 997.1 Tip. I just got sport mode installed today that I ordered from Sun coast Porsche. Everything seems to be working, however the car does not start from 1st gear when I engage the sport mode. All the research that I have done, I was under the impression that once you turn the SPORT mode on, the car automatically starts in 1st gear either in Auto or Manual mode. I drove the car for about 2 hours today to see if it does that but it didn't. Still have to manually engage the 1st gear. I am very curious if someone here can tell me if their factory Sport chrono 997.1 TIP behaves the same way or do I need to take it back to the dealership to look at the programming again? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

B.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:10 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

My turbo does not immediately start out in first gear with sport selected, but does after some spirited driving. I haven’t been able to figure out a distance/speed, but eventually it just does it on its own.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:22 PM
WhatTheFetch
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

Unfortunately, I can't help. I just purchased this update for my 08 C2S Tiptronic and I think I'm missing some parts. When you ordered yours did it come with the console piece and the new switch? Mine only had the certificate for the software update. From what I gathered these parts are supposed to be included. That's a real bummer if they don't given the cost! I reached out the dealer I ordered it from and they looking into it.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:31 PM
B's_997
2nd Gear

@WhatTheFetch I got the switch panel and the programming instructions. I ordered from Suncoast Porsche. Where did you order from if you don't mind me asking?

This is what I ordered. https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...newproductpage
Old 07-06-2023, 06:28 PM
WhatTheFetch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B's_997
@WhatTheFetch I got the switch panel and the programming instructions. I ordered from Suncoast Porsche. Where did you order from if you don't mind me asking?

This is what I ordered. https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...newproductpage
I ordered it from Chandler Porsche, they offered a discount online and their fixed shipping was less than others. I don't think I need the panel, just the button. I have PSE so I'm pretty sure the Sport button replaces the PSE button. They say the panel is a separate charge. From all my research I was sure this was sold as a kit. I hope they get it sorted out.

Last edited by WhatTheFetch; 07-06-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:36 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
My turbo does not immediately start out in first gear with sport selected, but does after some spirited driving. I haven’t been able to figure out a distance/speed, but eventually it just does it on its own.
Mine does after one good acceleration. Then again I’m always using paddles so if it doesn’t kick down to 1st I do it manually.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:24 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

How much was the sport add-on?
I'm new to to the search, but I think I will need that to be happy with a Tip car. Otherwise the gearbox is really lazy and laggy compared to the ZF auto box in my BMW E36 M3, even in its economy mode.

Jim
Old 07-08-2023, 02:12 PM
WhatTheFetch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pantdino
How much was the sport add-on?
I'm new to to the search, but I think I will need that to be happy with a Tip car. Otherwise the gearbox is really lazy and laggy compared to the ZF auto box in my BMW E36 M3, even in its economy mode.

Jim
For a 997.1 Tiptronic the part number is 997-044-903-02 / $1266.00

I had to buy a Tiptronic for the rare occasion my wife has to drive it. Love the car overall but I agree the the Tipronic is lazy unless you're stomping on it. I'm hoping the kit will add a little pep to my step! From all that I have read Tiptronic owners seem to really like the Sport Mode retrofit.

Last edited by WhatTheFetch; 07-08-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:44 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhatTheFetch
For a 997.1 Tiptronic the part number is 997-044-903-02 / $1266.00

I had to buy a Tiptronic for the rare occasion my wife has to drive it. Love the car overall but I agree the the Tipronic is lazy unless you're stomping on it. I'm hoping the kit will add a little pep to my step! From all that I have read Tiptronic owners seem to really like the Sport Mode retrofit.
The car I test drove was very different in sport mode. Basically the car downshifts one gear when you hit the switch and will keep that lower gear when you lift off longer. I think it has the same "full throttle instant downshift" function the BMW does- if you slam the throttle down fully it triggers a switch at the bottom and assumes you want full power and quickly downshifts whatever number of gears are required to get it.

I'm sure in a sudden need for power or passing situation the change is much faster than a manual gearbox. By the time your foot would even get to the clutch pedal to downshift in a manual car you would already have full power to the wheels in an auto car. Much better in the real world, I think.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Sport mode retrofit TIPTRONIC- 1st gear start