Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Momentary loss of power in 997.1 Tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023 | 03:49 AM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

Default Momentary loss of power in 997.1 Tip

When I was test driving this car there was loss of power for a couple of seconds after turning right and applying light to moderate power. I think I instinctively lifted then reapplied power and it came back on, but for a couple of seconds the car was just coasting.

Have others experienced this? Dead spot in the throttle positioning sensor? Something more serious?

Is this something that would show up in a scan?

Jim
Old 06-27-2023 | 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Brake pedal switch needs to be replaced.
Old 06-27-2023 | 12:34 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

How would that cause a loss of engine power?

Old 06-27-2023 | 01:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pantdino
How would that cause a loss of engine power?
For safety and to prevent a runaway vehicle, any car that uses a drive by wire throttle system has a safety feature built in that cuts the engine power whenever the brakes are applied. You can simulate this on your own....when driving down the road, lightly press on the brake pedal and at the same time try to accelerate and see if it feels like the same phenomenon you experienced. I've had to replace the brake switch on both my 997s for this reason at different times, and it resolved the issue both times.
Old 12-07-2023 | 09:17 PM
kubahemmerling
AutoX

Hi All
I had similar situation happened to me last weekend, I pulled into the intersection, put in first gear and release the clutch and the car instead of going dropped RPM where the car almost stalled, I pressed the clutch back in, same thing, but finally i was able to move, while driving i would have every so often power loss for just a split second and than it would be fine again. One other thing i noticed that when i would pull over the idle would be 1.5K RPM instead of just below 1K, it would stay high for few seconds and than eventually come back down. I read in this thread that its possible that the break light switch is bad so i ordered one and replaced today, hoping that it will fix the issue. I took the car for a drive, all was fine, i got the car warm and than i was getting again some loss of power and the same issue with the higher RPM when I would put car in neutral. Anyone had this happen before, I will most likely call Hi Tech Automotive and have them look at it but figure i ask and see if any of you had same expirience before. Just FYI my car is 07 997.1 base.
Thanks Kuba
Old 12-07-2023 | 09:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would track live values for throttle pedal position and throttle body plate position and see if when this happens there is some weird anomaly on one or the other.
Old 12-07-2023 | 10:24 PM
kubahemmerling
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914
I would track live values for throttle pedal position and throttle body plate position and see if when this happens there is some weird anomaly on one or the other.
how do you track those values? But I will say there is some issues with throttle body as I cannot think of anything else which would cause higher rpm’s like the throttle is not closing all the way when you let the gas pedal off
Old 12-07-2023 | 10:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do it with Durametric. High functioning scan tools should have that option as well, like a Foxerll.

Agree that the elevated idle is some improper signal or the throttle body plate not physically closing all the way.
Old 12-08-2023 | 12:58 PM
kubahemmerling
AutoX

So it bugged me half the night this whole intermitent loss of power and high revs which would last only for few seconds, thinking that there is something wrong with the throttle body. What i didnt mention that about week and a half ago i change intake filter (but didn't think much of it since i drove the car couple of times before i started having issues), but since the issue had something to do with throttle, I started thinking that maybe i installed the filleter wrong way and the air is not flowing properly to the engine. Anyway i decided to take the intake box out and open it to see if i put the filter the right way, once opened i realized that there is only one way you can put that filter in so no way on getting it mixed up, however since i had the box open i decided to take the filter out, and to my surprise inside the box was a 4x3 Pelican Parts Sticker (somehow must of gotten inside the filter box and got suck to the filter and i completely missed it when i installed it). Thank goodness for Porsche engineering and putting a mesh screen on the inside of the intake supply so that stupid sticker didnt make its way to the engine. I took the car out this morning and she was back at her full strength, with no issues with power or revs.
Anyway i just figured i will give you guys an update in case any of you run into similar issue, but note to self keep the stickers away and inspect parts before installing them.
Thanks
Kuba
The following users liked this post:
propchef (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023 | 01:16 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Man, and I thought the stickers placed everywhere by my 5yo kid was bad!
Old 12-08-2023 | 03:47 PM
digs
Pro

Well done !

Quick Reply: Momentary loss of power in 997.1 Tip