Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK - Sport Mode - Hard downshift from 2 -> 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023 | 02:31 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I pressed the buttons too many times accidentally with the meaty part of my hands and switched to a paddle steering wheel
Just my experience ...

Years of riding dirt motorcycles taught me to loosely grip the handlebars. A tight grip would have had me cramping out before the end of the day.

In a car, this equates to a loose grip on the steering wheel. Again, a fatigue relief in long drives.

My mother taught me to keep my thumbs out of the steering wheel spokes. Over my years of four wheeling, wherein surfaces can rip the steering wheel out of your hands no matter how tightly you are gripping, this saved me from many broken thumbs.

I find the combination of the above allows the car to more precisely feed back the road surface to me. It's always good to have more data!!!

As a side benefit, my skin surfaces ride above and below the shift buttons. So I don't accidentally trip those buttons. But the buttons are right where I need them. The paddles ... not so much.

I find myself using just my left hand to up and down shift, leaving my right hand free for whatever else.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 06-29-2023 | 04:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jbkusa
I did that once in a high-speed turn and almost went off the side of the mountain! 3rd to 4th gear...
Accidents/errors do happen, but they also occur with conventional paddles...
Old 06-29-2023 | 06:51 PM
vnelsontx
Rennlist Member

I think my comment about PDK buttons and a 991.2 was misinterpreted.....I LOVE my 997.2 and would only switch the steering wheel for the 991.2 wheel NOT swap cars (I love the updated look and prefer the smaller diameter) - I'm used to paddles in my wife's Mercedes. I'll definitely try the manual mode on the shifter itself - honestly hadn't thought of that and I always have my right hand on the shifter while driving out of habit.

Last edited by vnelsontx; 06-29-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2023 | 08:56 PM
vokain
Advanced

Originally Posted by AdverseYaw71
Hi, I have had my 2010 997.2 PDK for a couple of months now, and yes, I experience this issue also. At first I found it very disconcerting as it's a very pronounced jolt, but I have learned to live with it and drive around it. If I am braking harder I find it's nowhere near as bad, it's predominately in traffic & around town. Personally in those situations I prefer driving the car in manual mode, and only change down as far as second when coming to a stop. That way the car will still change to first on its own as you stop, but not produce the jolt that it does in sports mode/Auto.
when my car is going fast and I take a big stop, I get a big exhaust note from the PDK downshifting. Is this what you’re talking about? Maybe consider a transmission fluid change. When was the last time you had your tranny serviced?

Last edited by vokain; 06-29-2023 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2023 | 09:11 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

The MB paddles are mechanically wonderful. My experience with the Porsche paddles is that they have a lot of flex, which I find to be exceptionally annoying. Just saying ...
Old 06-30-2023 | 04:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The MB paddles are mechanically wonderful. My experience with the Porsche paddles is that they have a lot of flex, which I find to be exceptionally annoying. Just saying ...
Exactly. As I've said before, Porsche could learn something from the mechanics of the Benz paddles. A much shorter throw with just a precise little click. Probably part of the reason I don't use the paddles in my car. Kind of a sloppy feel compared to the Benz paddles. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK - Sport Mode - Hard downshift from 2 -> 1