Sponsored by:

Ethanol Fuel with Liqui Moly Octane Plus

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 10:57 AM
emansilla
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol Fuel with Liqui Moly Octane Plus

I have a Porsche 997 (year 2004) in Bolivia. This Porsche was built for the USA market and was later exported from USA to Bolivia. Unfortunately, the fuel available in Bolivia is of low quality. There are only two options, and both contain ethanol. The "special" gasoline has an octane rating of 87 and 10% ethanol. The "super ethanol" gasoline has an octane rating of 92 and 12% ethanol. As you can see, both types of gasoline have ethanol, something that according to my understanding, is not recommended for the Porsche 997. Can I mix Liqui Moly Octane Plus with fuels containing ethanol? Which of these options is the least bad for the car? Use gasoline with the lowest amount of ethanol or with the highest octane rating? With or without Liqui Moly Octane Plus?

Thank you very much!
Old 05-03-2023, 11:51 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,905 Posts

When running my boat, to help eliminate carbon buildup due to the Ethanol in the gas, I use this product called "Seafoam"
It's also used in cars. It's not an Octane booster just recommended to keep components clean.
It's a great product and I've been using it for years. Available on amazon/etc.

The following users liked this post:
emansilla (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 02:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by emansilla
I have a Porsche 997 (year 2004) in Bolivia. This Porsche was built for the USA market and was later exported from USA to Bolivia. Unfortunately, the fuel available in Bolivia is of low quality. There are only two options, and both contain ethanol. The "special" gasoline has an octane rating of 87 and 10% ethanol. The "super ethanol" gasoline has an octane rating of 92 and 12% ethanol. As you can see, both types of gasoline have ethanol, something that according to my understanding, is not recommended for the Porsche 997. Can I mix Liqui Moly Octane Plus with fuels containing ethanol? Which of these options is the least bad for the car? Use gasoline with the lowest amount of ethanol or with the highest octane rating? With or without Liqui Moly Octane Plus?

Thank you very much!
These cars are fine with E10. You have E12 but should still be fine. As far s an ethanol mitigator and injector cleaner I use Stabile 360 - 4oz added to an empty fuel tank at refill time.

Use the Super E12 gas, not the lower one.

Last edited by ADias; 05-03-2023 at 02:06 PM.
emansilla (05-03-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 06:01 PM
emansilla
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your replies. It looks like ethanol is not such a big problem. What about adding Liqui Moly Octane Plus to boost the octane rating of the "Super Ethanol 92" gas? Without Liqui Moly it has an octane rating of 92 it could be increased up to 96 with Liqui Moly. Does Liqui Moly work the same way with gasoline containing ethanol?

Last edited by emansilla; 05-04-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by emansilla
Thank you for your replies. It looks like ethanol is not such a big problem. What about adding Liqui Moly Octane Plus to boost the octane rating of the "Super Ethanol 92" gas? Without Liqui Moly it has an octane rating of 92 it could be increased up to 96 with Liqui Moly. Does Liqui Moly work the same way with gasoline containing ethanol?
No need to boost octane on gas that is 92 octane. Octane boosters are questionable anyway. Your car is fine with 92, heck it's fine with 91 here. It can deal with 93 but will have zero gain above that. I would not do it. As I said, I use Stabil 360 and that mitigates ethanol effects and cleans injectors (4oz on an empty tank when fueling up too full).

Link to Stabil 360 Link to Stabil 360
- a source in the US, but I imagine it is also available in Bolivia.

Last edited by ADias; 05-04-2023 at 06:21 PM.
emansilla (05-04-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 11:54 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

If you choose a fuel additive, it is better to go with one that has PEA in it (Polyetheramine).

These contain it:

Sta-bil 360
(or better yet - Sta-bil 360 Marine, which is more concentrated - 1 oz treats 10 gallons of fuel)

Chevron Techron

emansilla (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 01:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ironman88
If you choose a fuel additive, it is better to go with one that has PEA in it (Polyetheramine).

These contain it:

Sta-bil 360
(or better yet - Sta-bil 360 Marine, which is more concentrated - 1 oz treats 10 gallons of fuel)

Chevron Techron
Stabil 360 Marine... more concentrated better? Why more is better?
Techron is a good injector cleaner but lacks the ethanol mitigation (also normally used as an oil treatment pre oil change). Gas containing Techron (Chevron) may not be available in Bolivia.

Last edited by ADias; 05-05-2023 at 01:54 PM.
emansilla (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 02:02 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Stabil 360 Marine... more concentrated better? Why more is better?
Techron is a good injector cleaner but lacks the ethanol mitigation (also normally used as an oil treatment pre oil change). Gas containing Techron (Chevron) may not be available in Bolivia.
More concentrated formula for me means that I use less of it for each application.

The price of the Marine formula is about the same as the standard formula (about $1 more or so for the 32 oz size), but one ounce treats 10 gallons instead of one ounce treating 5 gallons.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ironman88
More concentrated formula for me means that I use less of it for each application.

The price of the Marine formula is about the same as the standard formula (about $1 more or so for the 32 oz size), but one ounce treats 10 gallons instead of one ounce treating 5 gallons.
I saw that, but I am not sure it is the right product for land vehicles. I am always leery about using products designed for other things. There are other requirements in the marine environment not present on land, thus I prefer to use what the manufacturer designed for the application.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:29 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I saw that, but I am not sure it is the right product for land vehicles. I am always leery about using products designed for other things. There are other requirements in the marine environment not present on land, thus I prefer to use what the manufacturer designed for the application.
According to the what I've read, the difference is the concentration level rather than a differentiated ingredient formula. As I understand it, historically the Marine version was developed specifically for fuels containing ethanol, and the standard formula was not - or at least not marketed specifically to address fuels with ethanol.

According to the manufacturer, Sta-bil 360 Marine can be used safely in any gasoline engine, including 2-cycle engines...

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine/

I think it comes down to "marketing".

I'm going with the better value proposition - the Marine version.

Quick Reply: Ethanol Fuel with Liqui Moly Octane Plus