Should I recondition my headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 11:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 876 Posts

OK, all done.

In short, not difficult and as far as I can see, pretty hard to screw up. Results? Very good but not perfect. The issue is not the Sylvania Kit, it was my headlights. My lights were way too pitted after 188K miles for the 400 grit sandpaper provided to work well. Now completed, it is not smooth to the touch. What I should have done, is get on it with my orbital and a commercial 3M compound and just brought down the material. Moved to a finer polishing compound, and then followed with the Sylvania kit. The instructions warn about using your own cutting material as it should not contain silica or oils... but the issue really is just about getting it really super clean.

I did one deviation from the instructions... I put a ton of the final fluid coating on. The instruction do say to put it on thick... so I like really did. I propped the headlights up so they were kinda flat... to limit runs. Then I followed the instructions and soaked the little blue towel for application.. Well stupid me, I held the bottle and pad over the light and poured on the fluid onto the pad... OOOPS.... which then poured straight down on the lamp surface... no biggie, I just wiped with the towel and it worked so well, I just poured more fluid strait onto the lens. Oh well, I sure got a thick coating.

What should you expect? Well a big issue with these modern headlights in general is fogging and yellowing. But Porsche really did a good job with suppliers because there is virtually no yellowing... mine was tiny bit of fogging and damage from being pelted with stone for 188K miles. If you have low mileage... well unless you can see real fogging, you may not need to do this repair. If your car has high miliage and serious pitting like mine, well the kit can't work miracles so you may need to cut the surface with an aggressive compound. I knew I had a pitting issue so I really worked the provided 400 grit and pressed pretty hard for a long time. Below are my results.

Recommended!!

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Before:

After:

Before

After::

The bench:

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-28-2023 at 11:09 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
alfetta (04-25-2023), anewman (04-25-2023), Fracture (04-25-2023), Jims997 (04-27-2023), myw (04-27-2023), Rig.Stunts (04-28-2023), tegraphile (04-26-2023), Xios (04-30-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2023, 11:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,267 Likes on 3,992 Posts

Nice work Bruce. Huge improvement in looks and the light output is probably better and less diffused.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:53 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Looks good. Nice work.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:49 AM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 104 Posts

Nice job Bruce.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:27 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks great.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:33 PM
carguy999
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks great, congrats! Bookmarking this to revisit in 30k or so
Old 04-28-2023, 02:01 PM
chris.lorine
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with the previous post from @okbarnett. Cover them with PPF. Why suffer through this again?
Old 04-28-2023, 02:38 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks good to me Bruce - I've heard cerakote is something you could apply to the lense or some other coating/product like PPF. This is obviously to protect the work you've done, but also so you don't have to do it again down the road. Sounds like you already put a coating on so you should be GTG.

Just an aside but your headlights made me think about it. It's kind of funny how all the ads for 997's list bi-xenon lights. I assume that means both bulbs in the housing are in fact HID bulbs with projector housings like what you clearly have. Yet, in advertising their vehicles other 997 headlight sellers often say bi-xenon when in fact, it's only 1 HID bulb and projector in the housing with a regular halogen bulb for the high beam (it's what I have). Anyway, I don't think anyone really pays attention to it.

Last edited by aasilvia; 04-28-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by aasilvia
Looks good to me Bruce - I've heard cerakote is something you could apply to the lense or some other coating/product like PPF. This is obviously to protect the work you've done, but also so you don't have to do it again down the road. Sounds like you already put a coating on so you should be GTG.

Just an aside but your headlights made me think about it. It's kind of funny how all the ads for 997's list bi-xenon lights. I assume that means both bulbs in the housing are in fact HID bulbs with projector housings like what you clearly have. Yet, in advertising their vehicles other 997 headlight sellers often say bi-xenon when in fact, it's only 1 HID bulb and projector in the housing with a regular halogen bulb for the high beam (it's what I have). Anyway, I don't think anyone really pays attention to it.
Not only do they not pay attention to it, they don't know that technically, they are non Xenon at all. They are really Halogen with a bit of Xenon gas that is used to fire up the light quickly and bring it up to operating temperature so the light is full blast and does not provide light. The only reason light makers call their lights Xenon is because it is cool sounding.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Should I recondition my headlights?