Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM windshild replacment problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023 | 06:19 AM
Ruben C
Track Day

Default OEM windshild replacment problems

Hi everyone, Monday will be the 3rd time I take the car to change the windshield after a stone (original at the Porsche center)
The first attempt there was a defect on the double-sided tape and in the second one, once mounted, the wind got into the car. It is also very strange that in both cases, once assembled, a gap remained between the glass and the underlying plastic (the one that houses the nozzles for cleaning the glass).
they told me that my plastic took sun, but it's not like that because before the replacement it adhered perfectly and I said that I'm ready to buy a new plastic to demonstrate that the gap is due to their assembly.
Has anyone who changed the glass had the same problem?
What can I suggest to these incompetents?

Thank you!!
Old 03-17-2023 | 07:30 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Originally Posted by Ruben C
Hi everyone, Monday will be the 3rd time I take the car to change the windshield after a stone (original at the Porsche center)
The first attempt there was a defect on the double-sided tape and in the second one, once mounted, the wind got into the car. It is also very strange that in both cases, once assembled, a gap remained between the glass and the underlying plastic (the one that houses the nozzles for cleaning the glass).
they told me that my plastic took sun, but it's not like that because before the replacement it adhered perfectly and I said that I'm ready to buy a new plastic to demonstrate that the gap is due to their assembly.
Has anyone who changed the glass had the same problem?
What can I suggest to these incompetents?

Thank you!!
The only thing I can contribute is that there are precise repair steps for the windshield in the work shop manual. I have read through it and it seems to be a science. But if you go about it shirt-sleeved, the result will be bad. Even a Porsche center works with (incompetent?) subcontractors!
What I would recommend: let them show you the Porsche-description how to perform a change of the windshield and, If you can, accompany the work.
Old 03-17-2023 | 08:51 AM
Ruben C
Track Day

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
The only thing I can contribute is that there are precise repair steps for the windshield in the work shop manual. I have read through it and it seems to be a science. But if you go about it shirt-sleeved, the result will be bad. Even a Porsche center works with (incompetent?) subcontractors!
What I would recommend: let them show you the Porsche-description how to perform a change of the windshield and, If you can, accompany the work.
thanks for replay! Do you know where i can get Porsche procedure?
im sure the dealer will not care about…

thanks
Old 03-17-2023 | 09:09 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

I can provide the information in german only. Before removal, various parts/panels in the interior must be removed, there are instructions for this as well but it is rather simple. HTH! One important thing is that you must not close the windows until the adhesives are finished.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (1,003.7 KB, 168 views)
The following users liked this post:
Ruben C (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023 | 01:43 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Although glass installers and even dealers will install new glass, if you want this to go perfect every time,then find the Porsche certified body shop in your area. Not a body shop specializing in Porsche, but one certified by Porsche. Expensive? Not really. They have the factory training and the tools and even though the hour rate is a bit high, it is much lower than having the dealer do it. This is one of the best bargains you can find. Most dealers don't even do this. They may just use a local to them mobile installer. The Porsche certified body shop will do it to exact factory standards. If they don't, they can get into big trouble with Porsche and lose their certification. I know some of these guys and they are not going to lose their much coveted certification.
The following 3 users liked this post by Floyd540:
Ironman88 (03-24-2023), Ruben C (03-17-2023), ThomasCarreraGTS (03-21-2023)
Old 03-17-2023 | 02:20 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

I echo Floyd540's advice and will add to make sure it is an OEM windshield. In Massachusetts we have free glass protection and they like to use aftermarket companies. I was told by Porsche, be it true or not, that the windshield is actually a structural component and to insist on OEM. I pushed back on my insurance company letting them know what Porsche said and they authorized the OEM windshield.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (03-21-2023)
Old 03-17-2023 | 02:50 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

OEM glass for sure. But real insurance companies insist on OEM parts only. Mine does.
Back to the above thread about Porsche certified body shops. Only the guy at the body shop who has received the factory training on glass replacement will be allowed to touch the car. Big deal.
Old 03-17-2023 | 02:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 188K miles

After multiple debacles with incompetent installers and inferior glass, I will now only get glass replacements at a dealership. They back their work.

Short relevant story... I did take my C2S to a dealer and the dealer owner's son is now working in service. I overheard a bit of an argument between the regular reps and son... son wanted to use "his" glass guy on my car... son won. Window was not installed deep enough... got wind and I could put my fingers between the A pillar and glass.. How in hell an installer can botch this is beyond me. Anyhow, the dealer made it right called in their old installer.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 03-17-2023 | 06:40 PM
Ruben C
Track Day

Thanks all for the replay, i ll try to follows your advices.
i have to go in the same place if not Porsche doesnt cover the replecement again, i wanted to change Porsche centre. I dont know if here in italy we have these certicate body Porsche center, i live in Milano.
i didnt do with insurace i payed with my poket the ammont 1500 euro for the replacement
i ll let you know!✌️
Old 03-17-2023 | 10:47 PM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

I’m about to pull my roof off. I’m more worried about the windshield replacement than the roof.
Old 03-21-2023 | 05:22 PM
Ruben C
Track Day

Hello everyone my car is at the Porsche centre, but they call me they dont know how fix the gap between the windshild and the plastic cover of the wipers.
in my insurance is not written this code
is 99950757641 so problably they didnt ordered and they are windshild spacers.
Can be this the problem?
where they have to be set?

thanks to all
Old 03-21-2023 | 05:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow, never heard of that thing. I have no clue what the issue is.... sorry I can't help.

Peace
Old 03-21-2023 | 07:38 PM
Ruben C
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Wow, never heard of that thing. I have no clue what the issue is.... sorry I can't help.

Peace

water can go down easly
Old 03-21-2023 | 07:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh I see now.... mine is the exact same way. Honestly, that is not a windshield issue, that is a plastic cowling issue. Mine is just like that... and has been for many years. Every once in a while, I remove the screws/plates on the sides under the snap covers and dick with it... but I think it is just warped and I need a new one. I have a heat gun now so maybe I will remove it completely and see how it lays and then try to form it with heat.

You may be able to get it to lay flatter by removing the plastic cover a few inches from the wiper arm post... under there you will see a screw and a flat trapazoidal washer. If you loosen this, and then push/shove the cowling, you may be able to stretch out the plastic a bit... hold it down and re tighten the screw.

Note that it does not matter that water runs down there as it does anyway. from the sides and other entry points. The battery compartment below has four drains to handle this water. BTW, you should check these drains by taking your battery cover off and ramming your fingers down into these four holes.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-21-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2023 | 07:57 PM
Ruben C
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Oh I see now.... mine is the exact same way. Honestly, that is not a windshield issue, that is a plastic cowling issue. Mine is just like that... and has been for many years. Every once in a while, I remove the screws/plates on the sides under the snap covers and dick with it... but I think it is just warped and I need a new one. I have a heat gun now so maybe I will remove it completely and see how it lays and then try to form it with heat.

You may be able to get it to lay flatter by removing the plastic cover a few inches from the wiper arm post... under there you will see a screw and a flat trapazoidal washer. If you loosen this, and then push/shove the cowling, you may be able to stretch out the plastic a bit... hold it down and re tighten the screw.

Note that it does not matter that water runs down there as it does anyway. from the sides and other entry points. The battery compartment below has four drains to handle this water. BTW, you should check these drains by taking your battery cover off and ramming your fingers down into these four holes.

Peace

thanks Bruce for the replay, mine the was not like this with the original windshild, after they changed (OEM), started the problem, but is not the main problem, i fell wind inside the car.
in this week ill have the answer i hope they will change again the windshild.
let you know the result!

Quick Reply: OEM windshild replacment problems