Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023 | 12:22 PM
ARODR
Track Day

Default Alternator Pulley Question

Hello. I have a 2005 C2S tiptronic. I spent several weekends last month replacing the starter cable, starter, AOS, secondary AOS, and the related hoses. I purchased all of these parts from Pelican. When I got to the end of the job I couldn't get the alternator bushing tapped or clamped back in place and due to the alternator looking original I decided to replace it with a remanufactured unit from O'reilly's. The one they sold me did not have the free wheel clutch. I finally had a chance to drive the car last weekend and everything ran fine. Replacing all of those parts completely fixed the hot start problem. I was going to take the car to work today but when I was 2 blocks away from home I started to hear a noise coming from the engine bay that sounded like a loose pulley. Since I was close to home I decided to nurse the car back home. I noticed the steering was heavy so I knew the belt must have come off. I got the car back safe and when I popped the engine cover I saw that yes the belt was completely off. Also, it looks like the alternator pulley was loose. I remember when I bought the alternator they looked in their system and said I didn't need the one with the free wheel clutch pulley so that's the one I bought. This incident makes me think they were wrong and using the wrong alternator when I drove the car last weekend, even though it was only about 20 miles roundtrip on Sunday, caused the pulley to come off due to stress. Any thoughts? Can anyone confirm that a Tiptronic does use the free wheel clutch pulley? Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2023 | 02:11 PM
yelcab
Drifting

Your first problem was to buy a rebuilt alternator from Oreilly's. You either buy one from Porsche, or have the original one rebuilt by a known shop in the area. I also vaguely remember the Tiptronic one requires a different belt / idler but I cannot remember why. I suggest taking it back out and getting the right alternator with the right pulley for the car.
Old 02-17-2023 | 02:25 PM
ARODR
Track Day

100% agree and thanks for the reply. I only went through them because they were able to get it the same day and my wife was sick and tired of me spending my weekends working on the car so I had a real motivation to just get the job done that day. I'm going through Pelican for the part now but just want to make sure I get the right one this time to avoid any issues down the road.
Old 02-17-2023 | 03:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Also not sure what mileage you have on your car but when you get up to the 80-90K mile mark the Idler Pulleys can start failing/making noise.

Quick Reply: Alternator Pulley Question