Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed EVERYTHING?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023 | 02:23 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adlern
But my biggest issue is the PAW (Porsche Approved Warranty), i pay around 1800 USD each year to have this active - and from what I understand I cant even change the windshield wipers to an off-brand.
Anyone got some experience with having PAW and modding the exhaust?

In Norway, having PAW on a 997 is like the holy grail, you wonna keep that as long as you can - no matter what. For re-sale value.
Are you PDK?

Call the warranty administrator and ask. Even if someone says “Yeah, they’re cool with it” in here, it won’t matter to the warranty provider.

Weird that people care so much about the PAW there. I would not care at all, especially when I find out that it costs that much per year.

I can’t imagine paying $9k over 5 years for a warranty, ever. IMO I can’t ever imagine that would be a logical ROI on a 997.2. Only made worse because you have to keep the car stock and only use Porsche approved parts.

Id just want to save that money and invest it.

My 997.2 6MT has been flawless and I am not seeing anything that scares me about these cars happening in a reliable manner.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 02-09-2023 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Adlern (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023 | 03:09 PM
Adlern
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
Are you PDK?

Call the warranty administrator and ask. Even if someone says “Yeah, they’re cool with it” in here, it won’t matter to the warranty provider.

Weird that people care so much about the PAW there. I would not care at all, especially when I find out that it costs that much per year.

I can’t imagine paying $9k over 5 years for a warranty, ever. IMO I can’t ever imagine that would be a logical ROI on a 997.2. Only made worse because you have to keep the car stock and only use Porsche approved parts.

Id just want to save that money and invest it.

My 997.2 6MT has been flawless and I am not seeing anything that scares me about these cars happening in a reliable manner.
Totally agree with the PAW part, but it obviously gives a greater "financial" security around the ownership of such a car tho. And I guess the prices is a bit higher on everything here hehe.. PAW is around 1800$ 1 year / 2800$ 2 year / 3700$ 3years etc ..
Dunno what the prices are in US now, but I paid about 75k last year for a 2011 997.2 C4 PDK. 40k miles over here.

Love the car, but I do feel its abit to original for my liking. And I would guess that the warranty administrators will only accept OEM PSE, installed by Porsche Center them self, cant imagine the cost haha.

Last edited by Adlern; 02-09-2023 at 03:14 PM.
waterpanda (02-16-2023)
Old 02-09-2023 | 04:45 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adlern
Totally agree with the PAW part, but it obviously gives a greater "financial" security around the ownership of such a car tho. And I guess the prices is a bit higher on everything here hehe.. PAW is around 1800$ 1 year / 2800$ 2 year / 3700$ 3years etc ..
Dunno what the prices are in US now, but I paid about 75k last year for a 2011 997.2 C4 PDK. 40k miles over here.

Love the car, but I do feel its abit to original for my liking. And I would guess that the warranty administrators will only accept OEM PSE, installed by Porsche Center them self, cant imagine the cost haha.
Prices are slightly lower here.

Financial security to me is money and investments in my accounts, not a 3rd party deciding what repairs to cover.

I am going to say it should always depend on one’s financial position, however there is very little in the way of reliable/repeatable failures that worry me about the 997.2.

The biggest item thus far was my clutch, but that is maintenance and not warranty.

If you have a well funded rainy day fund along with other investments, I would keep adding your $1,800 a year into that to “self insure” your car so you can skip the warranty.

That $9k invested into something like an index fund should grow over time where the warranty is just a hole you throw your money in hoping one day you have a big enough claim to pay off.

Warranties exist because they are a money maker for the company writing them.

Then you can enjoy modding your car and your extra savings.

I was so happy when I did the Sharkwerks Bypass and Fister side mufflers, gave my car a voice.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 02-09-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2023 | 01:39 AM
waterpanda
Rennlist Member

I bit the bullet and went for Fabspeed Sport Headers. And after one broken header bolt and what felt like an eternity, finally wrapped up the install a few days ago and got to record some clips today.

Can't thank enough Stomski Racing for putting together an awesome kit to remove broken bolts and retain original threads.

Fabspeed sport headers pair very nicely with the FVD Street Sport muffler. The setup may be too loud for some, but I'm going for a weekend fun car build so I don't mind the added noise.

I definitely hear more lower-end bass, and I also feel like there's finally the mid-range PUNCH I was looking for. And needless to say, it screams up top.

Here's a clip of the latest setup:

- Fabspeed Sport Headers (HJS 200cell catalytic converters)
- FVD Brombacher Street Sport Muffler (part #: BES 997 290 00S)
- No side mufflers

Old 02-16-2023 | 11:38 AM
duns997gts
Instructor

This is the setup I need! Sounds perfect!

Thanks for the video. I think I will go with the FVD street sport muffler and leave the headers alone.

Originally Posted by waterpanda
I bit the bullet and went for Fabspeed Sport Headers. And after one broken header bolt and what felt like an eternity, finally wrapped up the install a few days ago and got to record some clips today.

Can't thank enough Stomski Racing for putting together an awesome kit to remove broken bolts and retain original threads.

Fabspeed sport headers pair very nicely with the FVD Street Sport muffler. The setup may be too loud for some, but I'm going for a weekend fun car build so I don't mind the added noise.

I definitely hear more lower-end bass, and I also feel like there's finally the mid-range PUNCH I was looking for. And needless to say, it screams up top.

Here's a clip of the latest setup:

- Fabspeed Sport Headers (HJS 200cell catalytic converters)
- FVD Brombacher Street Sport Muffler (part #: BES 997 290 00S)
- No side mufflers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZHTnOghI80
waterpanda (02-16-2023)
Old 02-17-2023 | 12:42 AM
voidopolis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duns997gts
Anyone run the fabspeed center bypass AND fabspeed side muffler bypass?

IF so, send a video!

FYI, i only have the center bypass but was going to get the Fister Side Mufflers done.
My 09 C2S is stored for the winter - but I'm Fabspeed from the headers all the way back.
  • Sport Headers
  • Center Muffler Bypass x-pipe
  • Maxflow performance side exhaust
  • no fabspeed intake - stock airbox w/ BMC filters
I'll have to get a video once the weather gets a little better here in North East Ohio and the road salt is gone. But I love the sound, and get a lot of compliments. There is some drone/resonance at 7th gear cruising RPM - I typically just drop down a gear and it goes away. it absolutely screams around the track. Throttle blips on downshift sound great and you get some nice burble in 3rd around 35-40mph when you let off the gas. This is not a daily driver at all, just a weekend fun car - I do love the sound it makes.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed EVERYTHING?!