Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Choose...
Like exterior & interior, but won't buy.
13.10%
Like exterior, dislike interior.
23.70%
Dislike the whole car.
10.40%
I would buy this or future 997 models.
52.79%
Voters: 519. You may not vote on this poll

Your 997 Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 04:45 PM
SteveJ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Scouser
No way would I be a guinee pig for Porsche's sake and at my expense. I just hope they fixed the freaking RMS problem.
I have to agree. None of the poll questions addressed the issue that more data is required regarding drive train reliability before making a decision. If, two years from now, we no longer hear about RMS and blown engines, I will seriously consider a 997.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:29 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lennybaby
I think it looks good, I have a few reservations but my thoughts don't count as I'm 23!
Even though I think you were just kidding, I wanted to say that your thoughts most certainly do count, regardless of your age. There are many, many young Rennlist members who contribute significantly to the board and to the Porsche community as a whole. Your thoughts count here and they count in every aspect of your life. People who discount other's opinions due to age, etc. are the ones missing out on potentially refreshing angles to old topics.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I'm disappointed with the power output too, PAG really had an opportunity and missed it IMO. The base model should have 350HP and the S 400HP.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:47 PM
lutzf
Track Day

Enough heritage in this model. It has the right character!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:20 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I think the car has potential, but with all the excitment that the lotus elise is drawing, wouldn't it have been great if Porsche could have found a way to make it 2700 lbs. instead of 3100. Hmm let's see 350 hp and 2700 lbs. , now that would have been something. Likely impossible though given all the luxury goodies they throw in.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:58 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
What do you think?
Well, only because you asked...

I love what I see and what I've heard about the 997.

I bought my first 911 coupe (1974 911S) at age 16, my second (1970 911T) at age 19, my third (1980 911SC) at 23, which I held on to for 11 years; I sold it last year to a friend that had been bugging me to for years, with plans to get a 993 (which hasn't happened yet). (I also bought a 1984 Carrera Cabriolet when I was 27 to replace the 911SC, but I liked the SC better and sold the Carrera soon after I bought it.) I never liked any of the 964s or 996s (although I'd keep a GT3 or GT2 if given to me), but I'll admit I've been tempted by the Boxster S since it came out in 2000.

So I'm a committed 911 person, having owned at least one for the entire time I've had a drivers license. I've got an order in on a 997 coupe for the girlfriend (non-S Tiptronic, unfortunately), which is due in October. If it is everything the press is reporting, I'll get a 997S...but only on a couple of conditions: That the no-cost non-PASM sport suspension option is available in the US, and if the 997GT3 isn't available here for less than $100k (with Fred Schwab out of PCNA, I'm afraid it won't be at all).

I love the new front end and wider rear fenders of the 997...and not just because they are elements of the 993. The flat sides of the 996 and both of the headlight designs on that car are awkward in my opinion. I also dislike the 996 interior, especially since it is nearly identical to that of the Boxster. I'm not thrilled with the 997 dashboard; it wasn't one of the earlier cars' best features to imitate. If they wanted to go retro-modern, the 928 is what they should've looked at (coincidentally...or maybe not...the Carrera GT's dash/console mimics the 928's basic shape). I'm especially disappointed in the vertical console with screen...I don't see how so many buttons and a screen are necessary, and I don't see that a console "delete" option along the lines of the European GT3 and GT2 (which I would opt for if I was given that GT3 or GT2, or if I ended up with a Boxster S) has been designed into the dashboard. I'm also disappointed that the side airbags are now part of the seats; it eliminates the possibility of a shell-type racing seat without pulling wires and reducing safety. I know there's an "adaptive" sport seat option, but that sounds heavy and doesn't appeal to me...the Recaro-designed Porsche shells from both the European 993RS and 996GT2/GT3 are divine in their comfort, support, simplicity, and light weight. I like the gauges and optional steering wheel, and the concept of lap timing in the Chrono Package...but not the seemingly afterthought stopwatch on top of the dash. I wouldn't order it for aesthetic reasons alone. And I love the 19" 997S wheels...I hope they're similar in weight to the outgoing Carrera's optional 18s.

As long as they are keeping the weight down to around 3,000lbs, I don't mind that the 997S has "only" 355hp...and won't mind if the GT3 has the same 380hp.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think everyone can give there view on the looks on porsches new baby as porsche HAVE to make it look different it really is just a matter of taste (bar small changes in drag coeff's)

But i think what we cant run from is the new technology and engine performaces that will keep
outpacing older models- i guess there will be some teething probs but these always get sorted.

So thats what i think will keep us 'non-997s' tempted to want one some day down the line.

I dont want one but as i want to upgrade my 965 to 993TT ill always have that bit of envy to something technically superiour to mine in another 911. If i could i would keep the looks of the 993 and have the new techonology any day.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:04 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

As a previous owner of a 993 cab, I was curious to see the 997 in person. The pics looked very intriguing. I have been looking for a 96 or 97 'S' body for some time that didn't have a ridiculous price tag on it. Every time I came across one, a white one, the cost was way out there.
When I went to see the 997 in person, feelings were mixed. Yes it looks better to me then a 996, in my opinion, never liked the look of them, but I wouldn't say it is a 993 replacement.
I am thinking of purchasing a 997, not sure if it will be a base model or 'S'. I drove the base model, and was pleased with the ride. My previous experiences in 996's left me wanting more.
I hope to drive the 'S' in a few days to see if there are any signifcant noticeable differences in the ride that warrant the extra $10k. I think it is growing on me, even though at heart I would luv another 993. I need to see it in some other colors.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:05 PM
cmyers33
Track Day

I went and looked at the 997 today. I'm a 944 Cabrio owner and I haven't liked the look of the 911 variants over the last few years ( I guess I am refering the the 996). i also am not up to speed on the confusing array of variants that the 991 has. I agree that the body looks more "911" ish and better. I was surprised by all the electronic gizmo's in the car, seems counter to the race car image of a porsche. My 16 year old daughter looked at the literature and remarked that a Porsche shouldn't have a LCD display. I will say that the brakes looked big! The price was not as high as I expected either.

PS. The salesman said the Boxter is being discontinued.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just drove a 997S and am getting ready to order a 997. The car is pretty strong. At first I did not like the interior, however, after spending some time in the car and operating, it is pretty friendly. A little like the Cayenne, but updated over the 996. The full leather interior is the only way to go. I looked at an S without and the dash doesnt look rich enough. What is the opinion of Seal Grey, White or Guards Red? The exterior of the car is awesome in person. Next to a 996C2, it looks better. Next to a C4S, well..... Overall, they did a terrific job.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:55 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KWC4S
1357 views (lots of duplicates of course)
192 votes

I enjoy saying it again: most of the readers on this forum are wimps. you probably can't drive either and your momma wears combat boots
Hey, I like how this guy calls everyone out. I'm waiting to see the 997 in person, pictures never seem to do a car much justice (most cars). From what I've seen, I like the changes from the 996 but they look more subtle than I was hoping. The 996 never quite caught my eye (only the GT2/3). I realize Porsche's are about driving but this response is purely about aesthetics. I bet the 997S would be much sharper with some deep dish wheels. They standard ones haven't grown on me yet and probably won't.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:32 AM
DJD
Instructor

At least they got rid of the Boxster headlights.. Thats a start!!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Jason449
2nd Gear

I took delivery of my 997S a week ago today. I owned 2 996's (a 99' Manual and a 2000 Tip) A knee injury kept me from being able to use a clutch for 18 months!!!! I lost my shirt on that trade. Anyway, Im healed up and shifting without pain......................................................
I LOVE this car! I put 800 Miles on it over the last week. So far my basic thoughts are that they got it right. I live in Los Angeles where Im lucky to get out of second gear during daylight hours. I'm not even half way through the recommended break in period, so I have not had the chance to really rip yet. The low end torque is WAY improved over the late model 996's that I test drove in recent months. (Turbo not included).......The car is turning a lot of heads. Im getting mixed reactions to the 19" Wheels. I love them, especially with the red brake calipers. The short throw six speed is AWESOME! The PASM is like having 2 cars in one. The BOSE Stereo is very good. The sport seats are a MUST. The most comfortable and supportive stock seats I have ever sat in. The interior is mostly great. A bit busy for my taste in terms of the controls for air, stereo, nav etc. All in all it's a GREAT start for an all new 911. Im a very happy customer.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:33 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche did a good job with this car. The quality has gone up compared to the 996 and the shape is much nicer. However, I dont think it compares to, for example, a 1994 3.6 911 turbo in terms of exterior shape and while the quality/design of the interior is by far better than the 996 its just not simple enough for a true sports car. I really miss the pre 97 911's but overall it is a nice package.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:30 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Own a 2002 996 Arctic Silver/Black Full supple leather. Techno package etc. Drove a fully optioned 997 base model and didn't feel much different than mine. Have not had the pleasure of driving a S model yet. Looked at a S model with no options other thas seal grey paint and was disappointed with how cheap the interior was including the volkswagen ratchet type seats, no power. Also the car I drove the fit and finish was not that good the passenger door was out of alignment and did not close flush. All in all I think it is better looking on the outside than my 996 but I prefer the interior of my current car to the new one. I will not be rushing out to get the S and will wait.

Quick Reply: Your 997 Opinions...