Default Rear tail light question

So I have a 2011 c4s cab
my right rear tail light had condensation
and I had it replaced at my dealer
I bought the car used a year ago with 17k miles and it’s under full Porsche cpo

anyways after they replaced it
I noted the left side led bulbs are clear
but the new one in the right the bulbs are slightly amber
i have the clear headlights and I’m talking about the tiny little bulbs in the housing
is this normal , the dealer insisted it was the oem part and showed the parts number and everything but it seems odd that the bulbs would be different color on the tail lights

is that normal or is the dealer bsing me?

thanks for your feedback
Old 12-10-2022, 11:47 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

they are diff revision-part numbers, your new taillight from the dealer is a different revison number then what you have on your car. Your car has the later year, final revision clear tails with the clear internal bulbs (I have these on my car as well).

Take both taillights off and take a photo of each sticker showcasing the part/revision number and manufacture date/year. They normally have a 3 digit revision number at the end of the part number (it may have been a01, a02, a03 i recall), and their manufacture year will be almost guaranteed do be different. The manufacture date will normally be the clear giveaway re which version it is.

The first iteration of the clearGlass tail lights that were manufactured in 09... maybe up to 2010.... these were the yellow internal bulb ones. My brother has these on his car and I do notice a difference compared to mine - lmao he compares them to mine and complains at times. It is a mild, albeit noticeable difference.

Eventually up to the final production run sometime in 2011 or even 2013 (for the 997.2 turbos as they were still in production) - they were changed to eliminate the the yellow bulbs and then went completely clear.

It's a very subtle thing and i don't think most porsche dealers even know that this difference is real. But more importantly... you will have to find out if they have BOTH the amberBulb '09-'10 + and the clearBulb 2011-2013 ones in stock anymore. Check not just the part number, but the revision number + the manufacture dates.

The same concept also applies on the oem front LED 997.2 fogs. There is a very minor difference between earlier (manufactured in late 2008) vs final revision (2012)

I also could be wrong about when they exactly changed to the clear Internal bulbs, could have been in 2010.

Originally Posted by Likedis
So I have a 2011 c4s cab
my right rear tail light had condensation
and I had it replaced at my dealer
I bought the car used a year ago with 17k miles and it’s under full Porsche cpo

anyways after they replaced it
I noted the left side led bulbs are clear
but the new one in the right the bulbs are slightly amber
i have the clear headlights and I’m talking about the tiny little bulbs in the housing
is this normal , the dealer insisted it was the oem part and showed the parts number and everything but it seems odd that the bulbs would be different color on the tail lights

is that normal or is the dealer bsing me?

thanks for your feedback

Last edited by myw; 12-11-2022 at 05:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
Likedis (12-10-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 03:02 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Ugh, I just realized i read the post wrong, but the advice is still the same. I gave the post a quick edit.

You have the newest iteration of the tails - 2011.

It looks like the dealer gave you a new 2009-2010 set.

I am curious as to the revision number of both your old + 'new' lights - as well as the manufacture date that is printed on the sticker. Pls lemme know!

Last edited by myw; 12-11-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear tail light question