Sponsored by:

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 10:27 PM
srb1194
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Transmission question

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding my manual transmission. I bought the car a couple months ago when the weather was a little warmer. The car was just shy of 25K on the odometer. I have all service records and there's no history of this problem nor a transmission fluid change. When I first drove it I noticed a slight resistance getting in first gear when first started. Once temperatures were up everything felt better.

The car is stored in my garage but it's not climate controlled however probably doesn't get below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Last night was our coldest night so far since I've purchased the car. I backed out of the garage and it didn't feel like it wanted to go into first gear so I started in second. After about 100 feet I stopped and was able to shift to first then. Resistance was still felt but it gradually improved over the next 20 miles.

The issue is definitely related to temperature but the question is whether it's the fluid or the shift cable/linkage? I never feel resistance in any other gear other than first.

I don't use the car as a daily driver and have only driven it about 600 miles since purchasing it.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:57 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

There are a few threads about this topic because this is a common problem. If i were you, i would start with a change of the oil in the gearbox with the genuine oil or an identical specification. This is early for the mileage, but it won't do any harm and could helb (a bit). I changed from 75W-140 to 75W90, but the same problem persists. I don't know of a real solution. When the gearbox is cold, just shift carefully and without pressure.
The gearbox is from AISIN and is not for overhaul, but there are the shafts as complete spare parts.
The following users liked this post:
srb1194 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:55 AM
srb1194
Instructor

I'll do some research and see if I can find those threads. From what I know about oil viscosity I believe the lower number represents viscosity at low temperatures and the high number represents the viscosity at higher temperatures. It would seem to me that the 75 value would have to be lower to help in colder climates.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Normal to be a bit balky into first and on the first to second shift when things are cold. Change the gearbox fluid using only MobilLube PTX which should improve things some, but won't fully eliminate it.

Sometimes helps going into first if you pop it into 2nd to stop the shafts from spinning and then go to first. Also helps to go into 1st before shifting to reverse and make sure you're fully stopped.

When things are cold, be gentle but deliberate with the shifter movement.
srb1194 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:19 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

I've noticed it on rare occasions. If I get any resistance I just release the clutch and then redepress the clutch. That usually works for me.
srb1194 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:20 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 185K miles

What Petza said.... I have dealt with this issue for many years now. Fairly common I believe. It will continually get worse if you don't address it now.

Read more here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
srb1194 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 01:03 PM
srb1194
Instructor

Tons of great answers and I'm not surprised by that. Thanks everyone. My feelings were that it was the oil since I noticed a change after the colder weather. I'll get the recommended fluid and get it taken care of. Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:08 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

Ya know its not just Porsche that has that problem. Cold wintery days I find it hard getting myself into gear sometimes.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:18 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

FWIW ...

It has been stated in posts here that 3 liters doesn't fully fill the box but is close enough. I did this on one friend's car and he still had difficult shifting. A few weeks later I had some spare oil after doing another friend's car with 4 quarts (leaving a half quart on my shelf). I had the first friend come back and we fully filled his transmission. His shifting problems were then solved.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
FWIW ...

It has been stated in posts here that 3 liters doesn't fully fill the box but is close enough. I did this on one friend's car and he still had difficult shifting. A few weeks later I had some spare oil after doing another friend's car with 4 quarts (leaving a half quart on my shelf). I had the first friend come back and we fully filled his transmission. His shifting problems were then solved.
Yea, mine seems to take just a tad under 3.3 litres. But I can throw in some paranoia here... how do we know the service lifts are level? oh oh......

Peace
Old 11-18-2022, 01:31 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Damn. I stated quarts but should have written liters. Bruce, thanks for waking me up!!!
Old 11-18-2022, 01:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yea Wayne, get with it... we here on Rennlist have exacting standards. Our neurotic paranoia... or is it paranoid neurosis....can not take a -.054 difference (or is it +.056). (Now will someone with an English degree please correct my grammar... I can't stand it!!!! I need to read more James Joyce)

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-18-2022 at 01:41 PM.
FlatHat (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 05:11 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

To the Original Poster, the feeling of "bulkiness " in shifting when cold in the lowest gears is a result of 1) operator training (Yeah you), 2)cold lubricant; 3) the superb triple synchros (lowest gears ) not allowing gear grinding. What everybody said above is true, but in time you will adapt to the shifting exercise and most if not all of the issue will go away. I have driven stick shift cars for decades and it took me a couple of months and several thousand miles and everything got better. Changing the gear oil (PTX) after 60 to 80,000 miles makes it much better but only after you have adapted to the system.
For the more complicated sidelight of paranoia, 3 L of gear oil is plenty as the system works on the simple "splash and Hope" principle of lubrication whereas the quantity is not that critical as long as it forms the oil film and mist and heat transfer to the case.
So reading more James Joyce will help with the "Hope" part.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:08 PM
srb1194
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floyd540
To the Original Poster, the feeling of "bulkiness " in shifting when cold in the lowest gears is a result of 1) operator training (Yeah you), 2)cold lubricant; 3) the superb triple synchros (lowest gears ) not allowing gear grinding. What everybody said above is true, but in time you will adapt to the shifting exercise and most if not all of the issue will go away. I have driven stick shift cars for decades and it took me a couple of months and several thousand miles and everything got better. Changing the gear oil (PTX) after 60 to 80,000 miles makes it much better but only after you have adapted to the system.
For the more complicated sidelight of paranoia, 3 L of gear oil is plenty as the system works on the simple "splash and Hope" principle of lubrication whereas the quantity is not that critical as long as it forms the oil film and mist and heat transfer to the case.
So reading more James Joyce will help with the "Hope" part.
Thanks for the input however I do not think any amount of training is going to solve this issue. What I know is when the temperatures were around 70-80 F there was minimal resistance in selecting first gear. The resistance I felt yesterday was extreme and no amount of training will overcome that. The resistance is definitely related to temperature. This is not my first vehicle with a manual transmission but it is my first Porsche with a manual. My plan is to change the fluid asap and see what results are achieved. 15 years is a long time on the original fluid and it's a minimal expense.

Rest assured I will refresh this post once I get the service performed. With the holidays it may be a couple weeks until I can get it done but I'll be back. Again, thanks for your input.
BillB128 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 09:58 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

I think you misunderstood what Floyd is telling you. You may have driven manual transmissions but you don't have experience with these gear boxes. Everyone is telling you it's normal to be balky when cold. I have 21k miles on my box and it doesn't like being cold. When warm, it's butter. Just the nature of them.

Floyd is telling you, once you learn the idiosyncrasies of these boxes, and how to shift them, especially when cold, you will be fine. I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference after changing the fluid. I would have changed my gear oil already if I thought it would make a difference, but it won't.

I simply follow the advice given by all those above, and it shifts just fine.

YMMV.

Ps, make sure you use the Mobilube PTX, it may help. Use anything else and you WILL make it worse.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 11-18-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission question