Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 12:58 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Numeric shifter install question

I am installing my Numeric shifter, engine is out and is at FSI so I can’t actually “feel” how it feels. There are adjustments on the numeric for the cables. Should I wait to put the counsel back to check the adjustment? Has anyone had to make adjustments to the cables? If so how did you determine what needed adjusted? Just really trying to figure out if I should stop after putting the shifter in and wait to put it back together until I can drive it.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Personally taking the console back apart is easy. I'd button it up for the satisfaction of "completing" the job and so no parts get lost.

And, FWIW, on the three shifters I've worked on for friends there was no need to make adjustments.
Old 09-11-2022, 02:37 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I am installing my Numeric shifter, engine is out and is at FSI so I can’t actually “feel” how it feels. There are adjustments on the numeric for the cables. Should I wait to put the counsel back to check the adjustment? Has anyone had to make adjustments to the cables? If so how did you determine what needed adjusted? Just really trying to figure out if I should stop after putting the shifter in and wait to put it back together until I can drive it.
From what i remember...the install guide says connect trans side first before connecting the shifter...you need to make sure cable extends and retracts further than the pivoting arms on trans that control which gear you're in...once clearanced properly then you connect the shifter and adjust screws on shifter side to ensure shift **** is centered correctly in shift housing
Old 09-11-2022, 02:52 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

You will like the Numeric shifter, I really like mine and I keep it in the middle setting….as for cables I kept the stock ones in and got the Function First cable ends and for me it feels perfect…just some food for thought. After install it felt a little tight but it broke in and now feels perfect.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:00 PM
jonan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
You will like the Numeric shifter, I really like mine and I keep it in the middle setting….as for cables I kept the stock ones in and got the Function First cable ends and for me it feels perfect…just some food for thought. After install it felt a little tight but it broke in and now feels perfect.
100% this! I kept it on longest throw setting...after comparing longest setting to stock throw it seemed prettt similar...i just wanted to get rid of all the play and not reduce throw in any way...
Old 09-11-2022, 03:22 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

I actually do already have the FF cable inserts and am sticking with stock cables.

I left everything apart and am going to take the time to clean things up. I know it is easy to take back apart, I am just always afraid of busting a plastic clip or something. I figured once I get the engine back in I will see how it feels and make any needed adjustments. If I don’t need any I will just button it all back up.

Getting anxious to get this thing back on the road!!
The following users liked this post:
Scalp_em (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 03:29 PM
jonan
Instructor

I actually do already have the FF cable inserts and am sticking with stock cables.

I left everything apart and am going to take the time to clean things up. I know it is easy to take back apart, I am just always afraid of busting a plastic clip or something. I figured once I get the engine back in I will see how it feels and make any needed adjustments. If I don’t need any I will just button it all back up.

Getting anxious to get this thing back on the road!!
Id HIGHLY recommend getting a new starter and alternator cable and installing it BEFORE you put motor in...i was a bit too excited and skipped doing this because i was waiting a year to get my 4.0 M97 back...which was a stupid move because i had a new starter and cable on my workbench and figured id squeeze as much life as i could out of older cable and starter...

After putting motor in, the first place i drove to was the gas station...and of course...when i tried to start car again it BARELY started...only struggles when hot...so now a 10 minute job with motor out is going to take me four hours 😅
Old 09-11-2022, 03:44 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Yeah we are doing the cable and they will check the starter.

Are you sure it isn’t your battery? I heard Jake mention this could be an issue with the higher compression 4.0 builds.

Last edited by bgoetz; 09-11-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:45 PM
jonan
Instructor

Jake is 2billion% right...you can't rush success
Old 09-11-2022, 03:49 PM
jonan
Instructor

Are you sure it isn’t your battery? I heard Jake mention this could be an issue with the higher compression 4.0 builds.
sadly i already replaced battery and cleaned all the grounds...
Old 09-11-2022, 04:44 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Don't worry about how to adjust the Numeric shifter, just do it after the cable ends are back on the gearbox. Adjusting the Numeric is as simple as placing the transmission in neutral, then adjusting each cable until the gearstick stands perfectly upright. That's it. You'll find it to be one of the easiest tasks to do.

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 09-11-2022 at 11:15 PM.
Rig.Stunts (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 03:17 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jonan
sadly i already replaced battery and cleaned all the grounds...
Jonan, have you thought about cleaning or replacing the ground stud first. Have a read of this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-resolved.html
Old 09-16-2022, 01:09 AM
jonan
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonKM
Jonan, have you thought about cleaning or replacing the ground stud first. Have a read of this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-resolved.html
Already found that thread and it didnt fix my problem...it was fun doing this in 108f TX heat, upside down with my butt on the seat headrests though 🤪
Old 09-16-2022, 08:25 PM
jonan
Instructor

Just got new starter, alternator, and starter/alternator ground cable in...starter turns over faster than a machine gun and motor turns on just as quickly...no more chugachugachugachugavrooooom slow trainlike starts 🤪
Scalp_em (09-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter install question