Sponsored by:

Convertible top not working after dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 10:30 PM
bberryj
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Convertible top not working after dead battery

2007 Carrera S convertible. Battery died due to not driving. Water pump crapped out. I was pretty disgusted so I left the car in the garage for a few months and dummy me forgot to put it on a charger.
I recently replaced the water pump and charged the battery. Car runs great and I used Durametric to clear all the faults. The only problems I have now is TPC inactive system learning. Not worried about that. The top is up and will not lower nor does the clam shell open or the windows lower. I checked the fuse for the top. It has continuity.
Prior to the water pump I had new door and top sensors and a new switch installed by an excellent indie shop that only works on Porsches. It was working great. I then installed a Smart Top module and it worked great. My Durametric isn’t able to communicate with the convertible top module. Anyone have any thoughts?
By the way FCP Euro has a great YouTube video on water pump and thermostat replacement. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bberryj; 08-16-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:28 AM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bberryj
2007 Carrera S convertible. Battery died due to not driving. Water pump crapped out. I was pretty disgusted so I left the car in the garage for a few months and dummy me forgot to put it on a charger.
I recently replaced the water pump and charged the battery. Car runs great and I used Durametric to clear all the faults. The only problems I have now is TPC inactive system learning. Not worried about that. The top is up and will not lower nor does the clam shell open or the windows lower. I checked the fuse for the top. It has continuity.
Prior to the water pump I had new door and top sensors and a new switch installed by an excellent indie shop that only works on Porsches. It was working great. I then installed a Smart Top module and it worked great. My Durametric isn’t able to communicate with the convertible top module. Anyone have any thoughts?
By the way FCP Euro has a great YouTube video on water pump and thermostat replacement. Thanks in advance.
it does not take much to remove the SmartTOP module. I would start there else you are chasing two tails.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Agree, remove the Smart Top variable for starters. Then, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect it which will reset the control module. See if the top now works. If not, I assume there is a reset procedure for the top limit switched like there is for the windows. Find that and try it. It's possible the car thinks the top is in the opposite position and why it won't let the motor engage.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:23 AM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Based on your mention of the Durametric not being able to communicate with the top module, I'd definitely pull the Smart Top unit and then retest/recalibrate with the Durametric. If it still can't see the convertible module, then you may have a dead convertible module.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:33 PM
bberryj
Track Day

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
it does not take much to remove the SmartTOP module. I would start there else you are chasing two tails.
I did as you suggested. The Durametric was able to communicate and clear the faults and now the top works.
Hardest part was getting access to the convertible and smart top module.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
997.2GTS (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 06:34 PM
bberryj
Track Day

Default Thanks to everyone.

I did as you suggested. The Durametric was able to communicate and clear the faults and now the top works.
Hardest part was getting access to the convertible and smart top module.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Convertible top not working after dead battery