Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any original owners - see attached for Settlement $

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 11:00 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

That's weird, I've never noticed the correlation! But I'll bet if your back hurts a little on twisty roads you could go the personal injury route.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:16 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi 997
That's weird, I've never noticed the correlation! But I'll bet if your back hurts a little on twisty roads you could go the personal injury route.
Now that you mention it, the muscles I pulled in my lower back a few weeks ago were speaking to me on a spirited drive a couple days ago. Anybody else???
Old 08-01-2022, 02:44 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The header of the Porsche email states "In Re: Volkswagen Clean Diesel marketing, sales practices and products liability litigation" so we know where this suit is coming from. VW diesels had two different engine modes, one for testing, but another for driving which produced higher nitrogen oxide emissions and better mileage numbers. This was clearly illegal and lawsuit-worthy. But the only Pcar affected at that time was the Cayenne Diesel.

The case, as the email I received explains it, doesn't seem particularly complicated and can be summed up by a paragraph in the introduction and a paragraph in the FAQ, which I've read. It does a poor job of explaining the "why" it exists and a great job of explaining "how" to get money.

"Porsche and Volkswagen (the “Defendants”) have agreed to a Consumer Class Action Settlement Agreement and Release (the “Settlement”) to resolve claims that certain Porsche-branded gasoline vehicles sold or leased in the United States produce excess emissions and/or obtain worse fuel economy on the road than in testing conditions. Porsche and Volkswagen deny the claims but have decided to settle..."

"The Settlement is designed to compensate Class Members for driving vehicles for which the actual, on-road fuel economy may be up to 1-2 MPG less than was originally represented to consumers on the vehicle’s Monroney labels. Differences between the original and revised fuel economy ratings among the Class Vehicles resulted in different compensation amounts for each model and model year."

The Moroney for my car overestimated my real world mpg by 1 and underestimated my highway mpg by 2. In my opinion, that's not lawsuit-worthy because the delta of gas mileage in town at the level of 1mpg is entirely dependent on the way I drive.

Nothing in the FAQ went into the issue of "excess emissions" for gas Porsches. Are excess emissions in Porsches the result of simply burning more gas or does the car somehow produce excess emissions while getting the stated mileage- which is exactly what the legitimate lawsuit "Dieselgate" addressed?

The Car and Driver article below (2019) did a good job of explaining the original lawsuit being based on the VW engine modes.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...sions-scandal/
The FAQ makes it clear which vehicles are part of the settlement class, who is eligible, and what the expected compensation would be for a given situation (assuming the final settlement is approved).
​​​​​​
Old 08-01-2022, 09:06 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

I was wrong about the years in the suit, see attached (nothing earlier than 997.1)
https://www.porschegasolinesettlemen...33&inline=true

Quote from email regarding owners- "Former owners, lessees, and non-original owners may be eligible to claim compensation."

They'll try to get anyone in on the grab.
This was linked to 5 days ago, I think most of us have already read the FAQs. There is no effort in them to justify or explain the suit, only a list of vehicles they will add to the pool and a statement that the Moroney was off by 1 mpg or 2 for Porsche gas burners. This doesn't come close to the level of VW's double diesel drive mode fake out, where the urea/de-ionized water spray into the diesel exhaust gasses was urea enriched and added higher levels of nitrogen oxide to the atmosphere compared to test mode emissions. That's the point of all this.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:11 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 181K miles

I know we don't like sleazy lawering (and we know it exists), but this is a legitimate way our systems punish companies that lie and cheat. If Porsche did, then they pay. I am not against such things.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-01-2022 at 10:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
KLS (08-01-2022), ParkslopeDope (08-05-2022), Robocop305 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 01:49 PM
Butzi 997
Instructor

^^^ I absolutely agree with that and I think VW got what it deserved, maybe even got off a little easy. And the Cayenne diesel was, apparently, part of that sneaky 2 engine mode business. All that was well-documented. What I'm curious to know is how the gasoline engine cars got folded into it. Maybe there were threads on 911s getting suspiciously low mpgs?

In any case, I'm getting tired of hearing myself talk, so, time to let it go
Old 08-10-2022, 11:11 AM
wolfsburgde
Pro

Received 226 Likes on 162 Posts

Not that I am keen on feeding litigation like this, but out of curiosity I entered my VIN here:

https://secure.porschegasolinesettle.../en/calculator

"Based on the VIN information you provided, this Class Vehicle is an Other Class Vehicle and does not involve any adjustment to the estimated fuel economy rating. This Class Vehicle is eligible for compensation of up to $200, depending on the number of claims submitted. If you are the original owner of this vehicle and continued to own the vehicle on June 29, 2022, you are eligible to claim the maximum compensation for this VIN. If you are not the original owner or no longer own the vehicle, you will split the compensation with any other Class Member who submits a valid claim for this VIN."

I bought my 2007 Carrera (no Sport mode) in 2019 so it was already 12+ years old and I sure didn't buy it for the fuel economy.
TerrestrialFlyte (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

This goes back to my greasy, slimy lawyer money grab comment earlier. I entered my vin's also out of curiosity. Turns out you don't even get the $200. You split it X ways with the number of previous owners if they make a claim. On my boxster it was the same thing except I could get a bonus if I neuter the Sport plus. No thanks.

So we're the "aggrieved" parties and "victims" of Porsche, so here's 25 bucks. You split $200, they split $80 million. I think that's how the math works.

They can keep the $25, I'll keep my horrible gas mileage and 6,500 rpms. Wouldn't even get me a 1/4 tank.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The settlement says current or former owners but the thread title says original owner. What is what here?
Who the hell knows. My car is eligible but I'm the second owner. I'm just about done completing the claim and will submit it. As I see it, all I have to lose is about 15 minutes of my time.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:40 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

I filled out the claim weeks ago, but just curious, has anyone received any correspondence or affirmation that their claim was received and being reviewed? I too have noticed that my gas mileage hovers around 11-13 mpg. No where near the stated mpg from Porsche. Does my no lift gas pedal shifting and tens of thousands of recorded dme stage one's have anything to do with my poor gas mileage ??

Last edited by qikqbn; 08-17-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Butzi 997 (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 07:31 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

You, sir, have been WRONGED! Proceed immediately to the nearest class action lawsuit!
qikqbn (08-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Any original owners - see attached for Settlement $