Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window won’t stay down when door is open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022 | 10:47 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Default Window won’t stay down when door is open.

Okay yes I have done a search for this issue on my 997.2 and there are mixed answers so I am looking for clarification. When I open the passenger door from the outside the window drops like it should, but as soon as I release the outside handle the window goes back up even though the door is open. All other operations work as they should whether inside or outside the car. I know there are like 7 switches including the ones in the regulator. Just trying to confirm what needs replaced so I can order the correct part. I am several hours from a shop so unfortunately that is not an option. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2022 | 08:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Microswitch in the latch mechanism has failed
Old 07-15-2022 | 01:24 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Have a similar problem I was thinking it was the regulator I haven’t fixed it yet.

when I open from inside or outside the window drops but as soon as i release the handle the window pops back up. Do I need to replace the micro switches or the regulator or both?

thoughts welcome
The following users liked this post:
Summerjack (07-20-2022)
Old 07-15-2022 | 02:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9elvn
Have a similar problem I was thinking it was the regulator I haven’t fixed it yet.

when I open from inside or outside the window drops but as soon as i release the handle the window pops back up. Do I need to replace the micro switches or the regulator or both?

thoughts welcome
Microswitch in the door latch. It's popping back up because it doesn't know the door is open because of that microswitch. The plug and play way to resolve it is to order the whole latch assembly that contains it. If you just order the microswitch, you have to cut and solder it in.
Summerjack (07-20-2022)
Old 07-15-2022 | 04:13 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Adding to the above;
The micro switch wears out because the button in in sliding contact with the door latch cam. Stupid design as microswitches with buttons are made to have the button pushed straight in and released. Pics show the offending microswitch. The newer design of the OEM (Porsche/VW part) has a redesign of the switch so this sliding action is avoided. The latch is a complex heavy duty design with this one dumb design and a failing 50 cent switch. However since the latch is so fiddly to replace, I recommend a new OEM unit with a proper switch that has a lever. I do not know about the $40 knock off latches , but I would stay away from them. If you can find the exact microswitch, you can replace it as Pete says, but the getting to the worksite is fiddly for sure.

Passenger side latch (2011) showing offending microswitch

Button rubs on cam and wears down. Bad design on VW. Should have a roller or at least a lever. Microswitch application design 101

Switch and retaining clip
yvesvidal (01-26-2024)
Old 07-15-2022 | 04:21 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Clarification: The label for the latch shown in above photo is from the box of the new OEM latch, hence the "May 15, 2018" date.
Old 01-25-2024 | 03:03 PM
smrpr
Racer

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. My mechanic just sent me a video of what happens with my driver's door and I just want to confirm that this behavior is what's described in this thread and that replacing the door latch mechanism should fix it (battery is new): when opening the door, either from inside or the outside, it only stays down while the handle is pulled. Once it is released, it goes back up as if the door was closed.

If that's the case and the solution is replacing the part, do you have a part number that I can search for? My car is a 997.1 Carrera (manual) if it makes any difference.

Last edited by smrpr; 01-25-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2024 | 03:59 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

The part number for the left side (driver) is 3D1 837 015 C. The post above for my car is for the passenger side and that is why the last numbers are " 016" You need the 015 part.
Your problem could involve other things, but 95 +% of the time it is the stupid micro switch in the door latch. New latch and the problems will go away. It is a maddening problem and you will be glad when you get it fixed.

c
smrpr (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024 | 04:13 PM
smrpr
Racer

Originally Posted by Floyd540
The part number for the left side (driver) is 3D1 837 015 C. The post above for my car is for the passenger side and that is why the last numbers are " 016" You need the 015 part.
Your problem could involve other things, but 95 +% of the time it is the stupid micro switch in the door latch. New latch and the problems will go away. It is a maddening problem and you will be glad when you get it fixed.
Appreciate your answer, thanks. That part is the mentioned one with the improved switch? Or is the part number the same and they just replaced the problematic switch some time ago?
Old 01-25-2024 | 04:24 PM
JABowders
Instructor

I just went through this ... I wasn't able to just get the Micro Switch ended up getting the Door Lock Assembly.
Old 01-25-2024 | 04:46 PM
carguy999
Pro

How was the work? I've been sitting on that part for about a year now because I kinda dread doing it.
Old 01-25-2024 | 09:37 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

The part number (which is a VW part) remains the same as the latch fit and function has not changed. Besides they would not acknowledge that the original switch design in the latch was stupid. Therefore , no admission of guilt. I just looked at the Pelican site and they now list a Febi (aftermarket supplier owned by Bilstein) at a price of about $70. I don't know anything about it or how the problematic switch is set up. Crying shame that the original complicated latch will be perfect probably forever except for the 1$ micro switch.
As mentioned above, this is a DIY project. Somewhat fiddly especially getting the lock rod reinserted but that is documented in the above posts. Anyone that is experiencing this problem or starting to see this issue, go ahead and fix it. It doesn't get better on its own. Not having the anxiety every time you open the door that the window will misbehave is worth the cost of fixing it, whether you do it yourself or have someone fix it for you.
Old 01-26-2024 | 02:13 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by carguy999
How was the work? I've been sitting on that part for about a year now because I kinda dread doing it.
A bit tedious but not horrible. I dreaded it and once I dove in it was not so bad.

Tips:

WEAR GLOVES. I sliced my thumb open BADLY, almost the whole tip off. Wear mechanics (not latex) when you have the door panel off and are pushing rubber grommets through the door skin. I saw another poster did the same thing and had to get stitches.

Dont buy the audi vw part that fcpeuro and others claim will work fine- it will fix the window issue but you’ll get a central lock fault and your locks will not work. Go OEM.
carguy999 (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024 | 05:53 PM
carguy999
Pro

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
A bit tedious but not horrible. I dreaded it and once I dove in it was not so bad.

Tips:

WEAR GLOVES. I sliced my thumb open BADLY, almost the whole tip off. Wear mechanics (not latex) when you have the door panel off and are pushing rubber grommets through the door skin. I saw another poster did the same thing and had to get stitches.

Dont buy the audi vw part that fcpeuro and others claim will work fine- it will fix the window issue but you’ll get a central lock fault and your locks will not work. Go OEM.
Thanks for the tip, I will happily keep mine (tip)
Old 01-26-2024 | 06:02 PM
smrpr
Racer

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Oh ****. I didn’t get OEM. I got Febi Bilstein, there were no other options in the European spares website: https://www.autodoc.es/febi-bilstein/20103061

Quick Reply: Window won’t stay down when door is open.