Sponsored by:

Durametric/PIWIS 2 fuel pump activation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 01:11 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Durametric/PIWIS 2 fuel pump activation

Posted in the 997 turbo forum but figured I'd reach out here as well.

Hey guys,

I am trying to drain my fuel tank and am trying to do it through the test port under the engine lid. When going to position 2 I only get a little bit of fuel (I expect that it shoots some out while the system primes). I want to activate the fuel pump to stay on so I can drain this way. I have a PIWIS II system and a durametric enth. version. I have gone through everything and I am unable to find a way to activate the fuel pump. Doesn't seem like the DME module has anything I can test (activation menu in durametric or driveline checks in PIWIS II). I went through all the modules and I didn't see anything related to the fuel pump.

Ive read its available but after going through the menus I do not see it. Can someone explain to me how I can do this? If all else fails I will try and find the fuel pump relay and just jumper the contact there but I would like to activate through durametric if possible.

Thank you
Old 06-29-2022, 09:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Fuel pump relays are above the fuse panel. You have to remove the fuse panel cover, remove the 3 screws and then the complete kick panel that holds the fuse panel can be pulled away. Then up above that is a relay carrier - it's a bit fidgety to get it to release from the bracket, but once you have you can twist and swig it down and will end up looking at this...

Old 06-29-2022, 10:52 AM
eaks
Racer

Yeah thanks for the above info I had read that before and was really hoping to utilize durametric to avoid pulling the fuse panel apart. I have read it can be done so just want to figure out how to use it.

If all else fails I will just jumper the FP relay but I would rather use the tools so if I need to do it again its fairly easy.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:33 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
Yeah thanks for the above info I had read that before and was really hoping to utilize durametric to avoid pulling the fuse panel apart. I have read it can be done so just want to figure out how to use it.

If all else fails I will just jumper the FP relay but I would rather use the tools so if I need to do it again its fairly easy.
I know it's there in the PIWIS2 as I've seen it before, but I don't have it with me to check. IIRC correctly you need to select "ECM" (from memory might be worded a little different) in the overview tab, and that will put you in the ECM submenu. Once there then click on the "maintenance/repairs" tab. It should be somewhere on that page, there's numerous test functions including the fuel pump operation.

I'll take a look later today when I have access to it.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:10 PM
eaks
Racer

Originally Posted by PV997
I know it's there in the PIWIS2 as I've seen it before, but I don't have it with me to check. IIRC correctly you need to select "ECM" (from memory might be worded a little different) in the overview tab, and that will put you in the ECM submenu. Once there then click on the "maintenance/repairs" tab. It should be somewhere on that page, there's numerous test functions including the fuel pump operation.

I'll take a look later today when I have access to it.
Greatly appreciated if your able to give me a walkthrough of this. Another reason I want to use my PIWIS is that it's powerful but a bit overwhelming.. I would like to get myself more familiar with the system so I can use it when required.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2022, 09:04 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Greatly appreciated if your able to give me a walkthrough of this. Another reason I want to use my PIWIS is that it's powerful but a bit overwhelming.. I would like to get myself more familiar with the system so I can use it when required.

Thanks
I was able to find it on my PIWIS2, here are the steps

1) Establish connection with the car with the PIWIS diagnostic screen open
2) Click the "overview" tab (top left)
3) After the new screen loads, click to highlight the "DME" entry from the list shown, click F12 (bottom right)
4) After the new screen loads, click the "maintenance/repair" tab (top right)
5) After the new screen loads, click to highlight the "empty the tank" entry from the list shown, click F12
6) On screen instructions are presented (e.g. have a charger connected), click F12 once ready
7) Click F8 when ready to start the drain

I didn't actually run it so that's as far as I went but it looks pretty straightforward. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:51 PM
eaks
Racer

These don't exist on my car.. Maybe why I was unable to find them when I was looking through..

Attached photos show under the dme I see short test, system test or control unit replacment.. Short test appears to be based on O2 system readyness.. And the other snapshot is the system test options..

Any ideas?

I wonder if it has something to do with my car being an 09?maybe the Ecu is updated even tho still running the Metzger engine?

Last edited by eaks; 06-29-2022 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:34 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

So I checked the workshop manual. Porsche uses a special tool for emtying the tank. As an alternative and for testing the fuel pump they activate the relais of the pump with PIWIS. The menu is the same where you activate the fan in the lid. Search for relais and not pump. If you do not find that: Why not using a tube (with vacuum) going throug that flange where the pump is located? This method is described from Porsche.
Alternatively connect vacuum to the fuel pipe. I guess it will not collapse.
Good luck.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:02 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

These don't exist on my car.. Maybe why I was unable to find them when I was looking through..

Attached photos show under the dme I see short test, system test or control unit replacment.. Short test appears to be based on O2 system readyness.. And the other snapshot is the system test options..

Any ideas?

I wonder if it has something to do with my car being an 09?maybe the Ecu is updated even tho still running the Metzger engine?
My bad, for the 997.2 it's in the DME menu but under "Drive links / checks" tab, the 997.1 has it under the "maintenance repairs" tab. The 2009 turbo likely uses the 997.2 scheme despite the Mezger.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:28 PM
eaks
Racer

Originally Posted by PV997
My bad, for the 997.2 it's in the DME menu but under "Drive links / checks" tab, the 997.1 has it under the "maintenance repairs" tab. The 2009 turbo likely uses the 997.2 scheme despite the Mezger.

Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah that was my thought I spent most of my original time going through there before and never found it tho. When I get back home ill take some snapshots of the menus I see there (maybe I missed it before).

Additionally I did recall seeing the activation of the deck lid fan (i believe this was in the driveline checks for the rear module). I did go through every module available in PIWIS II and didn't see anything which is why I was thinking I was either looking in the wrong spot or maybe it isn't possible on an 09 turbo (very unlikely). I will go through it again (checking both the driveline checks and the maintenance sections for all modules and see what I can find. Again I would like to utilize PIWIS but looks like I may just jumper the FP relay.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will update tonight when I get back in front of the car.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:49 PM
eaks
Racer

Update. I got it working.. Thanks to everyone.. In the drive links checks - drive links there is a drop down box to select the function. I missed this previously when I was going through it but I currently have it running and draining right now.

Thanks again everyone for all the help
Old 07-01-2022, 03:17 PM
eaks
Racer

Just going to add a little update (I posted a bunch of these items on the 997 turbo forum as I was looking for help).

Word of warning for anyone else who uses the fuel pumps to drain the tank. The fuel level sensor will not move below 3/8ths of a tank. Due to this it caused me a ton of trouble shooting steps as I thought possibly pumps had died. Essentially I ran the system completely out of fuel then upon inspecting the in tank pumps/lines I didn't connected a line properly and had lots of issues trying to get it figured out.

Thank to everyone for the help and just wanted to post an update should anyone else try this approach.

Quick Reply: Durametric/PIWIS 2 fuel pump activation