Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up for this 911 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022 | 05:55 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Not that I have any intention of doing it but I didn't think it was possible on late models 911's. What year was this car? Easy to do on older cars I'm told but much more difficult on newer cars with everything turning electronic. I know someone who owned a 300ZX where all it took was to unplug a connection under the hood. It disabled the speedometer and also stopped the addition of mileage on the car.

I think he sold it with around 20,000 miles less on the clock than should have been on the clock. Common on those cars I've heard since all it took was unplugging a thing easily accessible under the hood.
buddy in car biz said easier to alter mileage on computerized odometer, take him one phone call and guy with computer shows up and sets to whatever ,mileage he wants.
Old 07-15-2022 | 07:21 PM
911-Diesel
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
buddy in car biz said easier to alter mileage on computerized odometer, take him one phone call and guy with computer shows up and sets to whatever ,mileage he wants.
Yes, it's that easy and cheap. Not sure about modern cars....
Old 07-15-2022 | 09:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Many aircooled 911's and 308 Ferrari's have a lot more miles than shown on dash. Very easy to unplug wire behind speedo on 1965-1998 911's and disconnect odometer.
Also with 308 Ferrari owners will unplug/disconnect the speedo wire on transmission.
I've owned many of both and always bought these cars with documented mileage through service records.
Many of these aircooled 911SC, Carrera, 964, 993's being sold with low mileage on Auction sites with no documentation.

Old 07-18-2022 | 09:10 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

On my Maxima when it got on in age, the speedo would cut in and out when driving at lower speeds. When it would cut out, it would stop recording mileage.

Ended up selling the car to a scrapper because I didn't want to throw money into fixing it, nor could I sell it in good faith to someone (calipers, pads and rotors all needed changing, O2 sensor, speedo, etc.). Shortly thereafter my parents saw it back on the road.

Always have to be careful when buying used.

Quick Reply: Heads up for this 911 for sale