Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling - Talk me out of it please

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022 | 02:04 PM
Choon01
Rennlist Member

Default Thinking about selling - Talk me out of it please

Hello All,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted (which is partially the reason for this post, lol). As the title suggests I’m lightly thinking about selling my 997.2. Ever since having my son a couple of years ago, I barely have the time or the energy to drive her. When I first bought her 4 years ago, it was a dream fulfilled. I bought her with only 7K miles on the clock and completely dialed her in: PPF, Ceramic Coat, BBS LM’s, Eibachs, Sharkwerks, Fisters, etc. etc. When I first got her I probably spent a minimum of an hour a day on Rennlist looking at posts and thinking about the next mod.

Fast forward to now and I rarely get to drive her, last year I only put around 1,000 miles on her. I have a pretty capable daily (G20 330i Msport) so I find myself wondering if I should take advantage of the market and sell her at a premium. Currently she sits at just over 20K miles and being a 997.2 Manual S Coupe I know I could fetch a good number.

All that being said, even though she just mainly collects dust in our garage, I really don’t want to sell her. I know that I’ll never be able to buy an example of her quality in the future and the only other 911 I like, the 964, is in a whole other stratosphere price wise.

My practical side is telling me that I should sell her and think about buying another 911 in the future when I’ll have the time to enjoy it more. But the P-Car enthusiast side of me is telling me to keep it because when that time comes, I’ll have wished I would have never sold her.

In any case, thank you for the opportunity to vent and any feedback from those that have been in a similar position would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all have a nice day, Cheers.

Last edited by Choon01; 06-17-2022 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Scalp_em (06-17-2022)

Popular Reply

06-22-2022, 01:47 PM
Choon01
Rennlist Member

Hey Everyone,

OP Here. I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, I've read thru every one and really appreciate you all taking the time to post your thoughts. I think my post was a way of confirming my beliefs and even though letting the car sit more than I'd like isn't very practical, I wanted to make sure it was worth it. As many of you have suggested I think I just need to be more intentional and find more time to enjoy her. And eventually when my son is a little older we can enjoy her together.

All the awesome feedback really speaks to the wonderful Porsche community that exists out there. I want to always own at least one 911 in my life and the P-car community is one of the major reasons why.

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 06-17-2022 | 02:08 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

With the current status of the market you should get top dollar. If you need the $ then go for it and let the next owner enjoy it. With peak $ you can have that $ work for you and after a few years your capital gains will be significant then you can address another 911 when the time is right for you.
Old 06-17-2022 | 02:12 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Test drive a newer 911, then get back in yours, if you say wow, this newer 911 is so much faster, nicer and more comfortable, sell. If you get in the 997 and say wow, this is how a Porsche should feel, you will have your answer.

my only regret is not buying a fully optioned S, but the market had not become red hot, so at the time I thought, I can get one whenever I want.
The following 2 users liked this post by voiceprint1:
RobPosha (06-20-2022), Scalp_em (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 02:42 PM
user 729082021
Banned

I went through this exact same exercise exactly one year ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1254965

It took someone offering my full ask within 4 hours of listing to realize I wanted to keep it forever. Like someone posted in my add: "the best time to have sellers remorse is before selling".

linderpat (06-21-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 02:54 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Wow its a tough decision...if you don't need the money at all, Keep it. Seems like you have the car pretty well sorted and its going to be tough and more expensive to get a replacement in the same condition down the road. @voiceprint1 has great advise. Test a newer 911, then drive yours again. If you really like the way your 997.2 drives compared to the newer ones and appreciate the more analog experience, then keep it. As time goes on, todays attractive selling price will seem like a steal to what it may be in 5-10 years when you are looking to jump in again.
Old 06-17-2022 | 02:58 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Schedule a Porsche track day, your local Porsche club should have a few days on the calendar this summer. If you don't have time, make time! Staying engaged with hobbies sometimes has to be intentional as life gets so busy and distracting.
Ohio Performance (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 03:46 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
Test drive a newer 911, then get back in yours, if you say wow, this newer 911 is so much faster, nicer and more comfortable, sell. If you get in the 997 and say wow, this is how a Porsche should feel, you will have your answer.
+1 on this. The market, and many of these crazy valuations within it, are slowing/coming down. Having said that, not sure the 997.2 market (especially not low mileage .2 coupes like yours) are going to take a huge hit.

If you think a newer 911 may fit the bill, you may do very well for yourself to sell your 997.2 now for top dollar, wait for the inevitable correction to come, and then pounce on a newer 911.
drwilson (06-26-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 03:47 PM
Goose 993
Rennlist Member

If it just sits, sell it. Needs to be driven.
Old 06-17-2022 | 03:52 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Nice car - Manual Trans ---> I too don't drive my 997 often but like looking at it

I wanted to buy a 991 few years ago, drove a couple and really didn't find much of a difference in steering/braking/HP or size even though the 991 is a bit larger.
Design wise I think they look great when lowered a bit.

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-17-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2022 | 04:40 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Nice car - Manual Trans ---> I too don't drive my 997 often but like looking at it

I wanted to buy a 991 few years ago, drove a couple and really didn't find much of a difference in steering/braking/HP or size even though the 991 is a bit larger.
Design wise I think they look great when lowered a bit.
Did you drive any 991.2S (small turbo powered) models? When I did, I could tell there was a significant difference in power from my 997.1S. I didn’t notice much difference in size either, but the power was there down low, and continued on throughout the rev range compared to my NA engine that requires you to get up there in revs before you feel that power surge. I thought I wouldn’t be impressed by the newer models but I am now and wouldn’t hesitate purchasing a 991 or newer one day.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 06-17-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2022 | 05:20 PM
Choon01
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the replies! I appreciate everyone's point of view and the feedback definitely helps.

I have driven the newer models but they aren't really my thing (the GT3 Touring's being the notably exception). To me, the 997 and 964 are the two ideal 911's. I don't really need the money so that's not a factor either.

I think as some of you have suggested I just need to try and enjoy the car more. I always wanted a 911 and since I have the perfect model (for me) I should probably keep it, lol.
The following 4 users liked this post by Choon01:
ABNJOE (06-18-2022), ADias (06-18-2022), Hootsama (06-18-2022), Scalp_em (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 05:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Choon01
Hello All,
If you don't use her, sell her and use the money for something else 6 months from now when cars are even "cheaper".
Old 06-17-2022 | 05:58 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

The ultimate expression of love is to know when to let her go. I bet someone out there still aspires and dreams of getting their first 997. Why not let them have her instead of hanging on to her. I think you should be able to easily sell her for more than what you have paid for, so be selfless and let her go.
Hootsama (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 06:02 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

When possible instead of taking G20 take 911.
Old 06-17-2022 | 06:04 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Been there and now have another 997 so here are my thoughts going thru the process:
- thinking of selling it due to lack of use
- selling it and regretting it
- searching for a replacement
- my brother's recent history
- today

1. thinking of selling it due to lack of use. I was where you were with my first 997. It was a fully loaded 997.1 C4S with only 15k miles during my ownership. I had several cars at the time including my track BMWs. I figured at that point why keep the car since it just stayed in the garage and hardly was driven - I also had younger kids who took my time - ie. sports, after school crap, etc. So I put the car up for sale.

2. selling it and regretting it. Sold the car and basically made back everything I spent on the car back. I sold it back in 2017 so it was before the current 997 boom but even then I realize I made a big mistake not only selling it but in the years after when I browsed used 997s for sale I realized what I had was a very highly optioned and literally I only saw 1 or 2 cars since then that were similar in options and low miles. Funny story the car was eventually sold on a Porsche dealer lot (for more then I sold it of course) and then later on I heard the new owner totaled the car.

3. searching for a replacement. At some point around 2019 I realized I needed a 997 back in my life. I started actively looking and was targeting a 997.2 and the GTS in particular. The thing I realized was that the the 997.2 was sold majority with the PDK so it was hard to find a good optioned, low mileage with manual. Plus targeting a GTS made it even harder since those cars didn't come often and when they did they sold right away. I missed some sales on the GTS that was placed on sale, immediately was sold and was never able to be the first in line to buy.

4. Side note: my brother is a big car enthusiast and has many desirable cars especially old BMWs. He was going thru a separation and at multiple points thought of selling his collection of cars due to the upcoming divorce. I kept telling him, if he wanted the cars to just keep them cause he will never get all of them back. After a while, he is now divorced and happily owners of his prized car collection.

5. Today I have my 997 GTS. It took a while and I had to pay more to get the car today then if I just kept the 997.1 C4S back in the day. To be 100% honest, I'm not sure if the GTS totally replaces how the 997.1 C4S was in my heart since that car I had for a while and when it was pretty brand new. The GTS also misses some options the fully optioned C4S had including full leather which I swear from this day forward every new Porsche I get needs to have that option - it changes the environment of the car completely.

Summary of all of this - if you sell the car, its going to be hard to really get your 997 back. Even if you don't drive it today, timelines and focus in life changes. You probably will have time to drive it more when your kids get older (trust me when they become teenagers they want to spend less time with you, I know from experience). But if you think you can sell and move on from the 997, do it. There will always be newer 911s for sale ie 991, 992s, so its not that you will lose being a owner of a 911 down the road.

Last edited by wardrive; 06-17-2022 at 06:07 PM.
ABNJOE (06-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling - Talk me out of it please