Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window switch bezel color issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022 | 09:40 PM
Braineack
Rennlist Member

Default Window switch bezel color issue

Ordered a new window switch bezel to replace my worn one, but the color is more gray than black. It almost matches the color where the coating is worn off.

Could mine have been painted?

I guess I'll just replace the right side as well so they match...

997-555-351-05-A03 from Porsche.

Mine VIN shows the carbon package, and I have a few carbon bits, but those -- obviously -- are not.
Old 05-24-2022 | 09:48 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Likely incorrect but I would venture to guess the replacement part you have is not a OE part. The factory used a soft touch paint on their interior plastic bits and parts. The paint color texture can be fairly well replicated with Sem interior paint. Cheers
Old 05-24-2022 | 10:09 PM
Braineack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Likely incorrect but I would venture to guess the replacement part you have is not a OE part. The factory used a soft touch paint on their interior plastic bits and parts. The paint color texture can be fairly well replicated with Sem interior paint. Cheers
It's OE for sure, came in a sealed package with Porsche markings, bought directly from my Porsche dealer.

There is 997 555 985 00 A11 which is labeled as "Insert Handle liner Leather" vs "Insert Handle liner Lacquered" I assumed that meant it was leather wrapped, but maybe it's for models with leather.

parts description from online dealer parts shows: "Coupe, with leather, black. COUPE & TARGA. leather black." vs. "Without spyder, without leather, black. Coupe, without leather, aluminum, carbon or wood, black. COUPE & TARGA. leatherette, aluminum, carbon or wood black."

$380 vs $80

Last edited by Braineack; 05-24-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2022 | 10:28 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

The leather was a CXX option right? Maybe it's best to send it back and have them compare it to a few others. If that one is a little lighter I'm sure they can tell you. I figured when mine goes I'll just have them painted body colored and start the interior fun.
Old 05-25-2022 | 09:16 AM
Braineack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
The leather was a CXX option right? Maybe it's best to send it back and have them compare it to a few others. If that one is a little lighter I'm sure they can tell you. I figured when mine goes I'll just have them painted body colored and start the interior fun.
Well I bought the side-view mirror piece as well and it's the same color

I'm looking online at images of door cards and they all appear to be similar to the parts I bought, a soft, matte/stain, black, where the buttons themselves are darker. Mine is more of a semi-gloss textured richer black.

My only thought it they used to get coated at the factory, or one of the PO's painted it (maybe with the SEM product I keep hearing about?).

When I look closely at the panel, it very much looks painted to me. Must be the "soft-touch" paint that I keep reading about.

Last edited by Braineack; 05-25-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2022 | 11:42 AM
Braineack
Rennlist Member

I happened to noticed that part is stamped on the back with *both* the cabriolet and couple part numbers. That's not helpful to me since I don't have a cabriolet and thus the two buttons under the window switches. But you can see the cutout for it; going to have to return this piece regardless.
Old 05-25-2022 | 01:09 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

1. The window switch bezel you bought is wrong. Like you have noticed, it's for the cabriolet and you should return it.
2. The color for the new part seems correct. The old part and the leather around the part darkens as they age. Replace both sides and give the leather on the door card a good cleaning to restore the matte look.
3. Be sure to buy a few plastic door card tabs. They are cheap and a few will break when you remove the door cards from the door.

Check out this post, Thread #13 for more info Window Switch Replacement so you'll know what you will be getting into.
Good luck! Let us know if you encounter any problems as we're here to help.
Old 05-25-2022 | 01:23 PM
Braineack
Rennlist Member

Thanks, dealer said same thing about the color getting darker with age.

Already got the correct part on its way along with the same parts for the right side. My dealer is very close, so I'll get tabs as needed.

Quick Reply: Window switch bezel color issue