Door Not Completely Flush When Closed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 01:56 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Door Not Completely Flush When Closed

Good Morning 997 Braintrust,

I noticed a while ago that my driver's side door does not sit as flush against the body as my passenger side door does. I've also compared my driver's door to other 997 driver doors, and mine definitely protrudes more than others. It doesn't produce excess noise or leaking, so it's mostly cosmetic. My car has a clean Carfax and as far as I can tell, has never been in a serious altercation. My front bumper has been resprayed, as has the rear bumper and passenger rear quarter panel, but my car is otherwise perfectly straight with all other body gaps lining up as they should. You can see the difference between my driver's door and passenger door in the pics below.

Driver's Door:

Passenger Door:

I was curious if any of you knew how to adjust the door strike and/or hinges in order to tighten the closed position closer to the body. The only other threads on this subject seem to indicate that there is some kind of body shop black magic involved, and that only a professional should make that kind of adjustment. If that's true, I have no problem taking it into a body shop, but I wanted to rule out other options first to see if I could DIY at home. Can I make minor adjustments at home to have the door close more tightly by adjusting the door strike and/or the hinges (below)?

Last edited by G.I.G.; 05-05-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:55 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the exact same misalignment. If you have the right triple square bit (got mine off amazon), it's a breeze with a ratchet. I got mine flush.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:58 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Front

Rear
Workshop manual describes these two points for adjustments. Torque is 23 Nm. Have the same issue and will try it as well. Special tool required (as described). Good luck!
Old 05-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

If the door sits vertically correct and is just out at the back, leave the frinthibge adjustments alone and just loosen the rear catch and tap it in a bit so the door closes tighter at the back where it's proud of the body.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:49 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by cjarrett
I had the exact same misalignment. If you have the right triple square bit (got mine off amazon), it's a breeze with a ratchet. I got mine flush.
Awsome, thanks! Do you happen to have the bit size/type by chance?

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS

Front

Rear
Workshop manual describes these two points for adjustments. Torque is 23 Nm. Have the same issue and will try it as well. Special tool required (as described). Good luck!
Perfect. Thank you! By looking at the door catch, it doesn't looke like it can be adjusted based on how the bolts look countersunk in a fixed position, but I'll loosen it slightly when I get the correct bit and try to nudge it inwards to bring the rear of the door in tighter.

Originally Posted by Petza914
If the door sits vertically correct and is just out at the back, leave the frinthibge adjustments alone and just loosen the rear catch and tap it in a bit so the door closes tighter at the back where it's proud of the body.
Yeah, that is exactly my situation. Thanks. I looked again today and the alignment up front looks good, it just looks like it needs to close in the back a little bit tighter. I'll focus on the door catch which should address the issue.

Last edited by G.I.G.; 05-06-2022 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:53 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Just checked, it's M8 Triple Square, lots on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Awsome, thanks! Do you happen to have the bit size/type by chance?

Perfect. Thank you! By looking at the door catch, it doesn't looke like it can be adjusted based on how the bolts look countersunk in a fixed position, but I'll loosen it slightly when I get the correct bit and try to nudge it inwards to bring the rear of the door in tighter.

Yeah, that is exactly my situation. Thanks. I looked again today and the alignment up front looks good, it just looks like it needs to close in the back a little bit tighter. I'll focus on the door catch which should address the issue.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:03 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by cjarrett
Just checked, it's M8 Triple Square, lots on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=m8+triple+...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Thanks for the quick response! I just ordered a set. Should be here tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon
The following users liked this post:
cjarrett (05-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Door Not Completely Flush When Closed