997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Non-Bose - Amplifier or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022 | 08:22 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Question 997.2 Non-Bose - Amplifier or not?

Hi guys, I'm trying to upgrade my PCM 3.0 to the new 8inch android...the problem is that I don't have any sound.

My question is, I probably need a MOST adapter, but by these images of the harness dos my car have amplifier/fiber optic cables or not?

And is there somebody that knows what the colors in the old PCM 3.0 means?

new Android

my existent harness

back of the harness, no fiber optic cables right?

new quadlock connector

existent cables, antena gps etc..

old PCM 3.0, color meaning?

MOST adapter, what cables do i fit in there if I don't have BOSE?
Old 05-03-2022 | 10:52 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Or as I don't have fibre optic cables, should I connect this together?

new harness android unit

new android unit
Old 05-03-2022 | 10:55 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Old 05-04-2022 | 01:40 PM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

up
Old 05-04-2022 | 11:40 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Looks like you need to turn on the ASK amplifier. Power signal need to go to the red/white wire in the blue plug on the OEM harness to turn on the amp. Does the Android harness have a wire connecting to red/white wire in the OEM harness? Looks like the blue AMP-Cont labeled wire might need to go the red/white wire.

Test the blue AMP-cont wire first to see if you get 12v when the radio is on and 0v when the radio is off.

Don't use the blue ANT-cont labeled wire. This is an Antenna control wire.

Be careful if you get the amplifier to turn on. The android unit is sending speaker level signals to the ASK amplifier. The PCM 3 unit only sent line level signals to the ASK amplifier through the OEM harness, even though they are labeled as speaker connections. You will therefore be amplifying signals in the ASK amplifier that were already amplified in the Android unit and potentially getting distortion and overdriving the ASK amplifier. Keep the volume low.

Last edited by PapaC4S; 05-05-2022 at 12:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PapaC4S:
myw (02-28-2023), Pedro Lopes (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:00 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Looks like you need to turn on the ASK amplifier. Power signal need to go to the red/white wire in the blue plug on the OEM harness to turn on the amp. Does the Android harness have a wire connecting to red/white wire in the OEM harness? Looks like the blue AMP-Cont labeled wire might need to go the red/white wire.

Test the blue AMP-cont wire first to see if you get 12v when the radio is on and 0v when the radio is off.

Don't use the blue ANT-cont labeled wire. This is an Antenna control wire.

Be careful if you get the amplifier to turn on. The android unit is sending speaker level signals to the ASK amplifier. The PCM 3 unit only sent line level signals to the ASK amplifier through the OEM harness, even though they are labeled as speaker connections. You will therefore be amplifying signals in the ASK amplifier that were already amplified in the Android unit and potentially getting distortion and overdriving the ASK amplifier. Keep the volume low.
According to this 997-2 QUADLOCK diagram yes:

QUAD LOCK DIAGRAM 997.2 inverted on purpose

OEM quadlock

provided adapter, there is a pin in B4 for AMP-CONT

I saw some video on youtube someone connecting ANT-CONT to AMP-CONT to turn the signal of the amplifier ON and it worked.
Because I have a small problem, I don't have any blue-white stripped AMP-CONT connecting to the ANDROID HEAD UNIT, only the BLUE ANT-CONT:

onlY blue ANT-CONT goes to the android unit, I have 2 slots free A4-11 which refers to the KEY according to the android diagram

Android unit power diagram, only slots A4-A11 free right now

QUADLOCK TO ISO

QUADLOCK TO ISO

If needed where to insert in the android unit the AMP-CONT? Can I remove ANT-CONT and put it on slot A12 (ANT 12V)?

Last edited by Pedro Lopes; 05-05-2022 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2022 | 09:43 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Where does the AMP-cont wire connect?
The following users liked this post:
Pedro Lopes (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 09:50 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Where does the AMP-cont wire connect?

1 is from the ISO which connects Head Unit to Adapter
2 is from Adapter that connects to QUAD LOCK OEM

Probably need to connect wire 2 to 1 in the center Adapter, then connect 1 to ANT-CONT (Blue cable which connects to the Head Unit) or connect 1 directly to one of the free spots (A4 or A11 KEY related).

What do you think?

Last edited by Pedro Lopes; 05-05-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2022 | 10:05 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Can't really tell where all these wires and connectors fit.

You need to find the port on the headunit that provides 12V to turn on the amp and make sure this port is connected to the OEM harness red/white wire.

Is there a port labeled AMP-Cont on the back of the headunit? Whatever wire is connected to this headunit port should be traced and connected to the wire that connects through the adapter to the red/white wire on the OEM harness.
Pedro Lopes (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 10:11 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

You need to find the port on the headunit that provides 12V to turn on the amp and make sure this port is connected to the OEM harness red/white wire.

In the Headunit is the A12 (ANT 12V), which has the blue cable (ANT-CONT) connected right now...so should I remove these and connect the AMP-CONT (blue-white stripped cable)? And if I do this, I will lose the power signal to activate the Antena OEM?

A12 has the ANT-CONT connected (blue cable)

Is there a port labeled AMP-Cont on the back of the headunit? Whatever wire is connected to this headunit port should be traced and connected to the wire that connects through the adapter to the red/white wire on the OEM harness

Don't have any AMP-CONT connected to the head unit, but I understand the logic.

Last edited by Pedro Lopes; 05-05-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:37 PM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

connected AMP-CONT to ANT-CONT worked!! sound is very good! just need to put the antena working and mount the rest of the things.

night mode
myw (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Non-Bose - Amplifier or not?