Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone guard removal = Fun? No!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Clinton Ave
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks! After reading these threads I'm going to hold off on removing my guards. They're a little hazy but not cracking at all, and considering I have Carmona red paint, I'm not messing with them.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

I looked at the middle linky. Obvious operator removal error. The textured paint below the rocker needs to be untouched or you'll see the resulting damage.
It seems to be much "softer" than the other painted areas, probably to reduce stone ships.

Easy solution, use plastic scrapers and scrape UP from that parting line.
It's not that difficult.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:54 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Clinton Ave
Thanks! After reading these threads I'm going to hold off on removing my guards. They're a little hazy but not cracking at all, and considering I have Carmona red paint, I'm not messing with them.
Same here. A little yellow, but I think I'll pass for now
Old 05-06-2022, 10:51 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Same here. A little yellow, but I think I'll pass for now
Me too!!
Old 05-06-2022, 01:21 PM
osuidoc
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

To anyone looking to do this I recommend a rubber eraser wheel with a cordless drill.
Honestly, made the job of removing them take 5 minutes per side after spending an hour picking and scraping with a plastic knife.
No risk of pulling paint or scratching the finish.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:11 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by osuidoc
To anyone looking to do this I recommend a rubber eraser wheel with a cordless drill.
Honestly, made the job of removing them take 5 minutes per side after spending an hour picking and scraping with a plastic knife.
No risk of pulling paint or scratching the finish.

Great tip. And I'm SURE I could figure out how to melt paint with that thing.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:41 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

After reading some of the nightmare stories about the stone guard removal I took it as a challenge to
see if I could replace mine without too much drama. I've removed PPF before, but not the stone guards
on my 2011 997.2.

Previously I had ordered black guards off of E-Bay and had applied those over the clears. The bonus being that
I was able to use the backing for the black guards as a template to trace and cut new clear guards
I've had the black guards on for a while, but thought it was time for a change.

I did invest in a Bissel Power Shot steam gun ($40.00 from Amazon), since my old personal clothing steamer
had gave up the ghost. While I also have a heat gun, the steam gun was money well spent.

After freeing up the top edge of the guard I was careful to pull up and away from attached material at a shallow angle.
It took a little muscle to pull and stretch the material, but I was able to remove the first guard in six minutes and the second in under five.
Both came off in one piece and there was zero adhesive left on the car. While my clear guards had been on the car since new,
they were just a little yellowed, not cracked or crazed.

With the proper tools and technique, this is not a job to be dreaded as long as your guards are in halfway decent shape.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:16 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 117 Likes on 37 Posts

My '05 guards were really yellowed, and I entrusted our local detail shop (Reflections Detailing in Williamsburg, Va) to remove them. Eric spent an entire day using steam and an eraser to get them off. I still haven't decided if I'm going to replace them given what he went through...

Old 05-06-2022, 09:14 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

If it were me, I'd definitely replace them since the rear quarters are susceptible to chipping (front wheels toss debris back onto the wider quarters).
However, I'd likely look to replace them in about five years like someone posted earlier. This will make removal easier the next go 'round.

Quick Reply: Stone guard removal = Fun? No!!