2007 Targa 4 Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 09:26 PM
LateNightTarga
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2007 Targa 4 Smoking

Hello all,
First time posting and unfortunately its bad news. I bought an 07 911 targa 4 about a 1.5 weeks ago and its given me some trouble recently. I was driving down the highway and all of the sudden a large plume of smoke came out of the exhaust. I stopped the car, went around back and smelled unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust, mainly on the left side (bank 2). I had to drive home and on the way I started smelling burning oil, stopped and got the car towed the rest of the way home. The car had 158k miles on it when I bought it so I expected some issues but nothing like this. I'm assuming bad spark plugs were the cause of the unburnt fuel and my best guess for the oil is bad valve seals. The car is going to a porsche dealer tomorrow and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to what I might expect to see. I have driven the car 1 time since then and it smoked for the first couple minutes, then ran relatively clean at 2nd and 3rd gear, then would smoke again as set off from a red light in 1st. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:00 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

Have you checked your injectors (eg fuel trims)? When you say you smelled unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust it makes me suspicious of your injectors. Those injectors are now 15+ years old with 150k+ mileage. I would never use anything but the OE injectors. It's impossible to say without seeing the car but the burned oil in the exhaust can be from a bad AOS, bore scoring, the valve seals, etc.

I always would recommend doing an invasive PPI on any car with a hypereutectic block like Lokasil or Alusil.
The following users liked this post:
LateNightTarga (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 04:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by LateNightTarga
Hello all,
First time posting and unfortunately its bad news. I bought an 07 911 targa 4 about a 1.5 weeks ago and its given me some trouble recently. I was driving down the highway and all of the sudden a large plume of smoke came out of the exhaust. I stopped the car, went around back and smelled unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust, mainly on the left side (bank 2). I had to drive home and on the way I started smelling burning oil, stopped and got the car towed the rest of the way home. The car had 158k miles on it when I bought it so I expected some issues but nothing like this. I'm assuming bad spark plugs were the cause of the unburnt fuel and my best guess for the oil is bad valve seals. The car is going to a porsche dealer tomorrow and I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to what I might expect to see. I have driven the car 1 time since then and it smoked for the first couple minutes, then ran relatively clean at 2nd and 3rd gear, then would smoke again as set off from a red light in 1st. Any insight would be appreciated.
Never had anything like it so I don't want to give any advice. Just curious though....did you get the beep and the CEL light at any time? And besides the smoke, how did the car run? Rough or felt mostly normal? I'm asking since I had the CEL light come on a couple of weeks ago. Car ran rough but the CEL light cleared when I shut it down and started it up. Drove it to the shop the next day. They called me back the day after and said they couldn't pull any fault codes from the event. All coils were good and the spark plugs were replaced recently.

The shop owner told me he suspected one or more dirty injectors and gave me two bottles of fuel additives (LIQUI MOLY PRO LINE) https://products.liqui-moly.com/pro-...cleaner-5.html

He said to run the fuel real low in the tank, add one bottle and then fill it up and drive it hard. Worked so far. No more CEL light. Running low again on fuel so the second bottle goes in this week. Don't know if there's anything to this but a buddy of mine advised against adding this stuff to an almost empty tank. His reasoning is that the additive burns much hotter than premium gas and could damage the injectors. The shop owner owns a 997 himself so I tend to take his word over this friend of mine. Besides, even with a near empty tank, seems to me the additive will mix with the gas so adding it with say half a tank would increase the concentration of the additive compared to adding it to a near empty tank and then filling it up. Either way, it seems to be working.

To the OP.....hope for some good news for you.

The following users liked this post:
LateNightTarga (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 08:17 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Best case scenario hopefully is that you just have a failed AOS (air/oil separator) that caused the smoke issue. With your mileage, I wouldn’t be surprised that it failed. If that’s it, a replacement of it and you’re on your way. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carreralicious:
Bwoy1981 (04-18-2022), jfischet (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 08:25 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Never had anything like it so I don't want to give any advice. Just curious though....did you get the beep and the CEL light at any time? And besides the smoke, how did the car run? Rough or felt mostly normal? I'm asking since I had the CEL light come on a couple of weeks ago. Car ran rough but the CEL light cleared when I shut it down and started it up. Drove it to the shop the next day. They called me back the day after and said they couldn't pull any fault codes from the event. All coils were good and the spark plugs were replaced recently.

The shop owner told me he suspected one or more dirty injectors and gave me two bottles of fuel additives (LIQUI MOLY PRO LINE) https://products.liqui-moly.com/pro-...cleaner-5.html

He said to run the fuel real low in the tank, add one bottle and then fill it up and drive it hard. Worked so far. No more CEL light. Running low again on fuel so the second bottle goes in this week. Don't know if there's anything to this but a buddy of mine advised against adding this stuff to an almost empty tank. His reasoning is that the additive burns much hotter than premium gas and could damage the injectors. The shop owner owns a 997 himself so I tend to take his word over this friend of mine. Besides, even with a near empty tank, seems to me the additive will mix with the gas so adding it with say half a tank would increase the concentration of the additive compared to adding it to a near empty tank and then filling it up. Either way, it seems to be working.

To the OP.....hope for some good news for you.
If it really burned much hotter I would be worried about a lot more than the injectors. PEA is a nitrogen-based detergent and is the most potent available that you can get to clean your injectors. There are several choices but I run a bottle of Techron or Driven Injector Defender + Booster just before every 5K mile/6 mos oil change. You wait until the fuel is low before adding the additive so that it will mix well when you fill the tank.

Quick Reply: 2007 Targa 4 Smoking