Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Shifter Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022 | 12:20 AM
kpd122
Track Day

Originally Posted by ewc
I also have a 997.2 with all these same issues. Changed to PTX and Function First shifter bushings and cable ends, which helped reduce the slop and make it easier to shift from 1-2. Still notchy when cold though.

One technique that seems to help is if I’m shifting slow, I depress the clutch pedal correspondingly slower - ie I don’t stamp down on the pedal. I find that being slower with the clutch pedal, pause then shift 1-2, seems to help a bit for whatever reason. It’s like a slight dance with these transmissions when cold to get the smoothness down. Once the box is fully warmed after 15-20 minutes, everything gets better.
I've found that double-clutching seems to help smooth things out for me, which is no problem since this is actually my first "modern" manual car - everything else is 45+ years old. That said, it's entirely possible that it's smoother simply because the whole shifting process is being slowed down somewhat.
Old 04-07-2022 | 04:09 PM
chago996
Racer

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
I can also confirm that this issue is common so do not worry too much. I have 26K on my 997.2 and had this condition ever since I bought the car at 14K miles 7 years ago. It will not go away with alignment (with the green tool) as I have tried. I Now have a factory SSK put in so it's a bit worse. This will go away within 3 miles of driving so I chalk it up as normal.
The tolerance of the transmission and the engine are so small that the engine too, will feel very different, looser and smoother, when warmed up.
Hi,
How do like your SSK factory short shifter? I am considering doing a similar upgrade or the GT3 shifter to my 2010 997.2 which i have owned since new. Not sure which upgrade to do. Have read a lot here and elsewhere about the differences between those two alternatives but I welcome your thoughts on it. Recently drove a friend's 2018 Carrera T which I think has the short shifter from factory and it ruined my day. My shifter is still working fine and buttery smooth and tight even at 140k plus miles, but have always meant to upgrade. Want to do a bday present to this wonderful car. Looking for bit more precision in its feel, especially when spirited driving. Thanks

Last edited by chago996; 04-07-2022 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add content
Old 04-07-2022 | 04:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chago996
Hi,
How do like your SSK factory short shifter? I am considering doing a similar upgrade or the GT3 shifter to my 2010 997.2 which i have owned since new. Not sure which upgrade to do. Have read a lot here and elsewhere about the differences between those two alternatives but I welcome your thoughts on it. Recently drove a friend's 2018 Carrera T which I think has the short shifter from factory and it ruined my day. My shifter is still working fine and buttery smooth and tight even at 140k plus miles, but have always meant to upgrade. Want to do a bday present to this wonderful car. Looking for bit more precision in its feel, especially when spirited driving. Thanks

We have the factory SSKs in both our 997s and it shifts great. Both cars came with them so never looked at changing to something like a Numeric (though I will install their cables if my ends eventually fail as I already have a set I bought in The Marketplace in my parts cabinet).
Old 04-07-2022 | 04:36 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Hi,
I think different driving style requires a different short-shifter solution. I mainly drive my car on the street and enjoy occasional spirited canyon drive so I value smoothness as well as mechanical engagement. I actually like the standard shifter feel but also wanted to shorten the shift travel so I went with the Porsche SSK + addition of Phenix metal bushings. Each component would contribute to improve your shifting enjoyment. This would be my personal satisfaction scale for your reference:

Standard Shifter = 75%
Standard Shifter + Heavier shift **** (162g Porsche XFN shifter vs stock 85g) = 80%
Standard Shifter + Heavier shift **** + OEM SSK = 90%
Standard Shifter + Heavier shift **** + OEM SSK + Phenix metal bushing (a la GT3) + 0.10 mm steel washer (to fill the side lever slack) = 92%
If the occasional problem of shifting from Neutral to 1st, and from 1st to 2nd shift (when cold) could be eliminated, then I'd have a 100% satisfied shifter set up.

I've never tried the Numeric SSK, but from what I read (a lot of reading), the directness and the additional force to shift may not suit my driving preference.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 04-07-2022 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022 | 08:55 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Do yourself a favor ... if you plan on keeping the car for a while, have a race shop install the Numeric Shifter and Cables! They can adjust it correctly and then u r off to the races so to speak.

Just picked up my 12 GTS today and it is awesome ... no issues in any of the gears.
Old 04-07-2022 | 09:33 PM
kpd122
Track Day

Hi,

That blue...

Just saw a GTS cab yesterday in that color. Makes me a little jealous. Can't beat a freshly detailed black car though.
Old 04-07-2022 | 09:35 PM
kpd122
Track Day

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
I think different driving style requires a different short-shifter solution. I mainly drive my car on the street and enjoy occasional spirited canyon drive so I value smoothness as well as mechanical engagement. I actually like the standard shifter feel but also wanted to shorten the shift travel so I went with the Porsche SSK + addition of Phenix metal bushings. Each component would contribute to improve your shifting enjoyment. This would be my personal satisfaction scale for your reference:

Standard Shifter = 75%
Standard Shifter + Heavier shift **** (162g Porsche XFN shifter vs stock 85g) = 80%
Standard Shifter + Heavier shift **** + OEM SSK = 90%
Standard Shifter + Heavier shift **** + OEM SSK + Phenix metal bushing (a la GT3) + 0.10 mm steel washer (to fill the side lever slack) = 92%
If the occasional problem of shifting from Neutral to 1st, and from 1st to 2nd shift (when cold) could be eliminated, then I'd have a 100% satisfied shifter set up.

I've never tried the Numeric SSK, but from what I read (a lot of reading), the directness and the additional force to shift may not suit my driving preference.
I may have to give the SSK a try. I just ordered one for my brother's 981 as a birthday present. We'll see if that converts me. Obviously the 981 is a completely different experience, but it'll be nice to see how the shorter throw feels.
Old 04-07-2022 | 10:25 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Just another data point, but a point with experience and not just opinion. I have the OEM SSK, original (997.2) cables, recent PTX and a weighted shift ball. Works perfect, all that I need. No slop or play, smooth and a shift with just a flick of one finger on the shifter. I don't need or want any clunk-clunk or metallic feel or noise. Just smooth. Also 17,000 miles of practice. Car has 102,000 miles
The following 2 users liked this post by Floyd540:
speedracerf4i (05-02-2022), VT Blue (04-08-2022)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Shifter Alignment?